Author Topic: Lemmings Gamebooks  (Read 4183 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Lemmings Gamebooks
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
So I'm gonna get my mum to post me the old Lemmings gamebooks I have in my bedroom back in the UK. I have a vague plan that I'd like to transcribe them into some kind of digital format (eg pdf, or simple html), since as far as I know, they don't exist in a digital format yet (at least, a google search and a search of the forums turned up nothing, so let me know if I'm incorrect!). Would you be interested in seeing them if I did that? ???

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Gamebooks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Very!

I have both books myself, and would love to put them on my phone for convenience, but I lack the time (and, in the case of scanning, the equipment) to convert them. It's a pain. :P

Also, you're definitely right about them seemingly not being out there already - I've looked, myself, and all I could find was some decent scans of the covers on a gamebook-specific website.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
Do you aspire to make a website out of them with one section per webpage, possibly even with cookies tracking the statistics? If yes, turn to 372.

Text files or HTML are easier to read than a PDF. If you wish to scan the books, then of course release the images or a PDF as-is.

-- Simon

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:29 PM »
Text files or HTML are easier to read than a PDF. If you wish to scan the books, then of course release the images or a PDF as-is.
It's worth noting that the books are pretty image-heavy in places. I'd say PDF, myself, for the sake of accurate preservation, but that's just me! ;)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »
That's actually not a bad idea suggested by Simon  :thumbsup:

It will be interesting having a look at the gamebook as could go towards the memorabilia section on Prob Lems thread if it counts that is.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »
It will be interesting having a look at the gamebook as could go towards the memorabilia section on Prob Lems thread if it counts that is.
I'm pretty sure I already put both of the Gamebooks in there. Did I miss them out? :o

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Do you aspire to make a website out of them with one section per webpage, possibly even with cookies tracking the statistics? If yes, turn to 372.

-- Simon
That's exactly what I was planning, yeah (although I would need help with something like cookies). The reason this came about is because I've been reading Ryan North's excellent Choose Your Own Adventure-style version of Hamlet, called "To Be or Not to Be". In ebook (kindle/mobi) format, the sections can be linked like a webpage (I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing with a pdf), so I've been reading it by tapping away on my phone's kindle app, if that makes sense.

As for the images, I actually don't have a scanner to hand, but there are a couple of options for that: I think Japanese convenience stores offer the facility in their printers, or if not, I can photograph the images, or I can ask someone else on here to do it. But let's not jump the gun yet...have to actually get the books here before I can do anything with them, and when I get it I'd rather transcribe the text before the images anyway.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Hi Prob Lem

It will probably be a misunderstanding on my part as I wasn't quite sure if you had the gamebook or what gamebook it was but I'm sure you have it on that section on the website.

My mistake,  :-[

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
They arrived today! Can commence soon. ;P

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
Fantastic! :thumbsup: Best of luck!

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 05:46:59 AM »
Cool! I've always wondered what those were like, ever since I first saw somebody mention them. Choose Your Own Adventure type books are pretty great in general.

If you have a place that does photocopying and such around, they often have scanning services as well. Well, around here, at least. I don't know if that would be the same in Japan. Good luck with the project, in any case!