Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!  (Read 46959 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
A new solution for Lixes in Arms, which is more or less a simplified version of my previous one...

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2014, 10:56:01 AM »
Solutions for Chasm v2 and Bipolar Maniac v3.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2014, 06:43:37 AM »
Just now got around to watching those. Both completely intended, incredible job!  :thumbsup:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
After feedback from Ramon in chat, fixed versions of Seven Pillars and Gomen ne. Also edited Goblin City to match terrain of Gomen ne.

Considering comment about Charge of the Lix Brigade being tricky for its position, I suggest lowering save requirement to 300/600.

Still need to fix Yuki, Muon, but that will take a lot of care so I'm putting it off for now.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
Btw, I had a glance at the time limit list, and there are a few levels where I don't quite see the purpose of the time limits (I haven't thought deeply about it though, e.g. I might be missing how they eliminate backroutes), care to enlighten me? Otherwise I'd be inclined to remove the time limits from these levels: allover (240), brutefours (300), cryforme (180), deathorglory (120), divisionoflabor (210), finale (180), imgonnamakeyoumine (180), leapoffaith (180), metalcitymayhem (240), pathofwickedness (180), roundtrip (240), segmentationfault (150), thelastlaugh (120), tinkertailorsoldier (190), toccata (180).

Kind of surprised you didn't mention Changing of the Guards. Please remove the time limit, unless you know of a reason why it's necessary.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
I've had a look through the various versions of Slipping / Slipping Again.

I would agree that the levels could be moved earlier, and I also think they should be further apart, so perhaps Slipping in Cunning and Slipping Again in Daunting?

I don't think anything needs fixing -- everyone's replays for Slipping Again are all variants of the same solution. This was not meant to be an "anything goes" level, but any solution that finds the core ideas is okay. The level could be tightened by removing two (or even three) builders and a basher, if desired (or one or two builders and both bashers) -- though keeping the extra skills makes execution easier.

I really don't want the levels to be swapped out -- they are good puzzles, the idea for Slipping Again is not easy to find (and thus rewarding when you do find it) -- Ramon's comment in chat when he solved this puzzle was "Very nice :)". I just don't think they necessarily belong in Vicious, and perhaps they would have been more favourably received if they'd been placed earlier to start with  :P

Mobius' remake of tseug's Slipping has a backroute (essentially the same one Nepster found), so it can't be used unless fixed, and I haven't found the intended solution yet. In spite of the identical title, this is a completely different level, so it shouldn't be thought of as a possible alternative for replacing nortaneous' Slipping.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »
I essentially agree with everything Proxima wrote.

If one wants to tighten Slipping Again, one could even remove four builders and one basher. But the basic idea is present in this solution as well.

As for mobius' remake of tseug's level: My solution of tseug's original level borders on being glitchy and uses one trick that doesn't seem to work under Lix mechanics. So it is not clear to me what an intended solution for the Lix remake would consist of?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:28 AM »
Fixed version of Waltz in C Sharp Miner, after backroute found by Ramon. As usual, edited the easier version (Little Viennese Waltz) to match.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
And another fix for The Hotel in Hell.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2014, 08:39:22 PM »
Okay, after a little hiatus I came back to solving Lix set level due to some encouragement by Ramon, who has also been playing through this set.

Here are my solutions for:

The Lix Who Japed
Buy One Get One Free (Part 2)
100% Built by Lixes
Spin Geometry
Bashing & Building
Close to the Edge
From the Other Side
Trading and Cooperating
Behind Bars
Won't Get Fooled Again

Also, here's my level Feel the Pressure changing the places of climber and floater skills in the skill panel because they were mixed for whatever reason earlier. I want the authentic skill order in this case. :P There's no other changes.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »
FYI:  Akseli found my one true intended solution (actually a trickier variant thereof) for Won't Get Fooled Again.  Yay! :thumbsup: But for now, I'll still leave in geoo's alternate solution as before, considering this a community set.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
Bashing & Building: Backrouted! New version attached.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:20 AM »
Post with a bunch of hints for the pack. But not all of them. Curses at my laziness on this matter!!

"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 01:45:53 AM »
FYI:  Akseli found my one true intended solution (actually a trickier variant thereof) for Won't Get Fooled Again.  Yay! :thumbsup: But for now, I'll still leave in geoo's alternate solution as before, considering this a community set.

Okay, bad news for Akseli (and me really):  I've thought about it some more, and came to the realization that Akseli's solution variant has a rather undesirable property for a late Hopeless level:  I think there's quite the potential for the player to simply stumble upon the working solution completely by accident. :XD:

The variant I originally have in mind cannot be stumbled upon that easily, but I don't believe I can enforce my variant over Akseli's.  I was actually aware of Akseli's variant all this time but have never quite thought through the implications, particularly this "stumble-ability" aspect.

So while I haven't decided yet, I'm slowly leaning towards taking out my solution concept altogether and only leaving in the alternate solution from geoo.  One other alternative I'm weighing is maybe to try tweaking the level so that the player has to at least do a little bit of tweaking to get the solution to work out like Akseli's, in other words to try decreasing the probability of stumbling upon it.  At the moment I'm not optimistic I can achieve that though, and even if I can, not sure having any chance of the player stumbling onto a working solution totally by accident is good for a late Hopeless level.

======================

If I do decide to change the level I'll post it here on the thread.  In the meantime, see if you get lucky and stumble upon this solution yourself, then maybe you can tell me if it'd be lame to allow the solution.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »
(Finally!) Fixed versions of Yuki, Muon / Lion, Lix to remove Akseli's backroute.