Author Topic: Preparing June 2014 release  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Preparing June 2014 release
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
Hi,

I'll be on a conference in early June. Release will come sometime after that.

We're replacing matt/beach exits and hatches. Level builders might make a copy of their Lix dir, download (link) this complete archive of images/ and extract over the copied dir. Effects:
  • palm tree and all exits but one are replaced with big red boxes reading 404, so you can remove these
  • exit is sandcastle (simply the old hatch), hatch is pail, a new design from Matt -- move these around inside the level, since their dimensions are different from the old things
  • If you need a replacement for your palmtree, make a cactus from images/geoo/nopales -- this is new and exciting do-it-yourself cactus set, amazing and fun for entire family! With small pieces that can be swallowed!
Matt's proposal for new water isn't used so far, it's strangely blocky/pixelled. Amanda has some great water/tar as work in progress, will see what happens.

For more info, ask geoo in the channel!

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Preparing June 2014 release
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:38:14 AM »
I don't remember Matt's set off top of my head so presumably these are probably all sensible changes.  But my first obvious n00b impression would be, "no one is considering an actual new replacement palm tree?"  ??? What if someone had created a tropical-themed level?  Cactus replacement might look odd in that context.

Out of curiosity (and topic), are you traveling to anyplace interesting with your conference?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:29:59 AM »
Conference is in Metz/France, even thouh mon français is très suck. Tickets aren't booked with extra vacation in mind, hm, and I don't think anyone of us lives near there.

I'm of course good with putting another palm tree in if someone makes one.

-- Simon

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Ok, im on days off now so i'll update all my single/multi content today or tommorow.
Rub

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:45 AM »
Beach changes amount to 5 levels and 10 objects for me - and two of those levels are in CSTame. Not a problem :)

On the other hand, my level directories are in a somewhat chaotic state, with edits, WIP stuff and re-ratings... :-\ Hopefully I have time this weekend to sort it, we'll see.

---

I don't remember Matt's set off top of my head so presumably these are probably all sensible changes.  But my first obvious n00b impression would be, "no one is considering an actual new replacement palm tree?"  ??? What if someone had created a tropical-themed level?  Cactus replacement might look odd in that context.

Courtesy of NaOH (and drawn after you made that post):

Same shape, but more shiny 8)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:01:02 AM »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
Release will be done during [Wednesday, end of week[.
  • Palm tree will make it in named palmtree.png without spaces.
  • Amanda, what do you think about including the tar water object?
  • Clam's and Rubix's levels are updated to their current releases here. I will fiddle a little with Rubix's multiplayer dir structure.
  • Bug tracker: The current critical bug (Miner just stops) must be fixed. Already fixed bugs are listed at the bottom of the bug tracker. Everything that is not deemed critical will not get tackled before the release.
People have now been waiting on simple bug fixes for two months? NaOH's editor bugfix has been completely independent from the physics. This is ridiculous shipping time, even more so for open source. This must change in the future.

Maybe physics changes should not go in the main branch, instead they get merged when appropriate. UI bug fixes must be shippable immediately without forcing all users to update. Release early, release often.

-- Simon