Author Topic: Lemmings-related doodles from my notebook  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Lemmings-related doodles from my notebook
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:24 AM »
I'm not much of an artist, but before I discovered my ability to design and make toys, I once wanted to be a cartoonist!

Every now and then, I doodle in my notebook (just using a regular ball-point pen), and quite often these doodles feature lemmings. I figured I'd share a few of them. Three of these were drawn during my recent trip to Scotland, and the earliest was drawn a few weeks before, but I'm saving that one for last because it's my absolute favourite of the lot.

Anyway...

I always wanted to see more tribes someday, and I decided to draw a few, since that's the only way that that's going to happen! First up, a Pirate Lemming. He's got a bandana, an eye-patch, and a scimitar. I toyed with the idea of giving him a wooden leg, too, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it look right, considering that the size of his remaining foot would make him look awfully off-balance. ;P

Here's a Wizard Lemming, incorporating a few iconic bits of wizard-related imagery into the design (specifically, references to Mickey Mouse's outfit from The Sorcerer's Apprentice*, Harry Potter's lightning bolt-shaped scar, and a traditional stage-show magic wand). The notion of a Wizard Tribe bears no relation to Wise Old Lorock, from Lomax, though, who of course hails from the Medieval Tribe.

*I imagine that the Wizard Tribe version of this clothing would be blue, and not red, though.

And finally, here's a Cowboy Lemming, complete with tiny little spurs on his shoes, and a Sheriff badge. I almost gave him an Indiana Jones-style whip, as well, but I couldn't imagine how such a thing could possibly work in the context of a game, so I abandoned the idea.

Random tribe ideas over with, here's the last doodle...

It's Lomax, carrying a sword and shield, and looking extremely rattled by whatever it is that he's found himself faced with. I don't know what it is that's scared him so much, but I'm really pleased with how his facial expression turned out. I have no idea why I like the idea of him having a sword and shield so much - I guess it's because it puts all manner of crazy imaginary gameplay ideas in my head about a sequel that will sadly never be. ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings-related doodles from my notebook
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:37 AM »
Wow! :thumbsup: Love them all, though I think Cowboy Lemming could use a bigger hat. :P

I almost gave him an Indiana Jones-style whip, as well, but I couldn't imagine how such a thing could possibly work in the context of a game

Given the kinds of skills available in Lemmings 2, I can definitely think of how a whip could work there.  The only issue seems to be that to be useful, the whip would need to be very long relative to the size of a lemming, and that would indeed look strange.  (At that point you may as well just make it into Batman's grappling hook gun or Spiderman's web slingers.)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
Thanks very much. :D

(At that point you may as well just make it into Batman's grappling hook gun or Spiderman's web slingers.)
Superhero Tribe, anyone? :thumbsup:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »
 :thumbsup: very cool very cool. You should keep drawing!

in case you didn't know there's a thread for Lemming Cartoons and you're welcome to contribute:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=613.0
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
Thanks möbius. :D

I have no idea how I missed that thread! :o Trouble is, I don't typically tend to draw comics and such, so I don't think I'll be able to add anything of value.

Offline Lomax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
Love how the doodle of me came out!