Author Topic: Explosive mafia  (Read 15248 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Explosive mafia
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

here's an exciting new mafia game with exploders and lots of flinging! The game has already started, you cannot sign up anymore. The exploder, a.k.a. terrorist, has been suggested by geoo. This round has a ton of special roles, this is how he plays in reallife. <geoo> just put in the blocker if we have 8 or less players, next round we'll play by your rules with no special roles whatsoever

Roles

Everybody gets a role, which is either of good or evil alignment. The game ends if all players of one alignment are killed. Upon end of the game, all players of the opposing alignment win the game, no matter whether they are dead or alive.

Walkers are good. They constitute the normal townsfolk and have no special abilities.
Miners are good. Each night including the first, they may PM me the name of a player to spy. I will PM back the alignment (good or evil) of the named player, but not the exact role.
Blockers are good. Each night after the first, they may PM me the name of a player to protect. The named player gets immunity from mafia assasination on that night. A blocker may name himself, but never the same player twice in a row.
Mafia are evil. In the first night, all mafia players are informed about who is mafia and who is not. Mafia are not informed about exploders, despite being on the same team. Each night except the first, if there is at least one mafia yet alive, all mafia may agree on one player to be assasinated immediately. One of the mafia shall send me a PM with their choice. Assasinations are optional. Blockers may prevent an assasination.
Exploders are evil. Despite being evil, they are not informed about the mafia or other exploders, and they do not help with the assasination at night. During the daily discussion, they may post in bold type "I explode and kill <player name>". This immediately kills the exploder and the named player. Votes already cast by these two players are void. An exploder may not explode if they have at least 2 votes against them and nobody has more votes against them than the exploder. The mayor's vote counts as 1.5 votes for this purpose, too. Exploding is optional. Other roles may not post explosions in bold, breaking this rule loses the game immediately.
Mayor is an extra ability. Any player can become mayor in addition to their normal role. It is publicly known who is mayor. The first mayor is chosen randomly. The mayor's vote counts as 1.5 normal votes. If the mayor is killed, he shall name a player to become the next mayor in a short post. This is the only exception from dead players being barred from speaking.

It is possible for the evil team to be a majority, but still have no safe victory. With three players alive at day, who are a walker, a mafia, and an exploder-mayor, both non-exploders could claim to be mafia, so the exploder has to guess.

It is publicly known how many of each role have been assigned at the start of the game, and who is the first mayor.

Night

The game starts at night. Everybody gets a PM with their role. All mafia are informed about who is mafia. They do not get information on exploders. They do not assasinate in the first night. Miners may examine a player during every night including the first, send me a PM to do so.

In all nights after the first one, if there are still mafia left alive, the mafia may agree as a group on one player to assasinate. One mafia member shall send me a PM with their choice of target. Each blocker may send me a PM with a player to protect from the assasination. Blockers may protect themselves, but not the same player twice in a row. If the mafia's assasination target is not protected by a blocker, they are killed immediately.

Exploders may PM the games master if they wish to explode right at the start of the day, possibly with conditions on who is killed by the mafia. Otherwise, it would be unfair if they check the thread and see they got a bunch of votes already that prevents the explosion.

No public discussion may happen at night. Living mafia may discuss in private at night.

Day

Public discussion is allowed during the day in this thread until someone is lynched. You may say anything you like. Please reserve bold type for your votes or explosions. Living mafia may additionally discuss in private. Other living players should not privately discuss the ongoing game.

All living players may cast a vote by posting in bold type "<player name>". Each player may only vote for up to one player at a time, but may withdraw or change his vote without restriction; post again in bold type to do that.

When nobody has cast/changed his vote or has exploded for 24 hours, the day ends. To prevent people from stalling, each day has an undisclosed random time limit of at least 4 real-life days, probably more than that, after which the day ends.

At the end of day, the player with most votes is lynched and thus killed. The mayor's vote counts as 1.5 normal votes. Edit 2012-06-30: If there is still a tie, the mayor must choose one of the tied players to lynch.

After the day ends, public discussion is forbidden. I will try to post as soon as I see this, but the rule takes effect even when I miss that. Please check the time of the last vote change!

Exploders may explode during the day as described for their role above. By posting in bold "I explode and kill <player name>". An exploder may not explode if they have at least 2 votes against them and nobody has more votes against them than the exploder. The mayor's vote counts as 1.5 normal votes for this purpose, too. Explosions take immediate effect, kill the exploder and the named player, and any votes of the two affected players are void. Explosions reset the 24-hour period until the day ends. Other roles shall not post explosions in bold or risk immediate loss of the game.

Dead players

Dead players may not participate in public discussion. Dead mafia may not discuss in private with living mafia at any time. Please take care of these rules, the delicate power of the exploders depends on it. The only exception is that a dead mayor must name a player to become the next mayor.

When a player is killed by any means, his role and alignment are made public.

For fun, dead players get regular PMs with all of my information, and may discuss in private with other dead players.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Explosive mafia
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
Whee I'm in! And I'm the exploder. Just saying. Because I always do it irl.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 02:37:27 AM »
Interesting, but timing-wise probably not great for me at this time.  Will sit this one out and see how it unfolds.

And does a feud round really clash with Mafia?  Answering the feud questions usually don't take that much time, and the more people died from Mafia the more time they have for feud questions.  That said, I'm not immediately clamoring for a feud round either.  Maybe start one halfway through the Mafia round or something?

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:23:34 AM »
I'm in.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:18:48 AM »
I need something to do so count me in

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:29 PM »
I'll play. I don't feel like reading the directions so let's just throw caution to wind and see what the hell happens. :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
Ok, I'll join if you need players :p just make sure to send me a PM when you start

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:16 PM »
If I must.  Timballisto here, reporting for explosion duty.

Bodies are going to litter the floor around here...

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »
Looks good.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Joooooiiiiiiiiiin.  People are going to be dyin' left and right!  ...I swear that's a good reason to join  :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
The first night has started. PMs with your roles have been sent.

Living players: geoo, Giga, möbius, NaOH, Ramon, RubiX, Timballisto
Living citizens: 2 1 1
Living evildoers: 2 1
Current mayor: NaOH (this was chosen randomly after the miner has selected his target)

The miner may PM me back and ask about another player's alignment. The mafia does not assasinate in the first night, thus the blocker has no need to block.

When the day starts, I will make another post; this will be in 1-2 real-life days.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »
The miner has received his information.

The first day starts! The random first mayor is NaOH.

Open discussion and voting may begin.

-- Simon

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
I accuse Timballisto of belonging to the Mafia team. His first statement sounded very suspicious, talking about explosions and dead bodies.
Alternatively, I don't think NaOH acquired her mayor status by legal means, I mean, she must have had help from a few dubious underdogs! There was no democratic voting!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »
Ok so here is the deal. If we make a mistake today, and if in the following night the mafia don't accidentally kill the exploder (75% chance of exploder not being killed by the mafia), then we are in a tricky situation of two mafia, one exploder and 2 good guys. One of the mafia members will then out himself and his partner, and the partner will verify that claim, thus the exploder will know the mafia and can vote off the good guys with them. The only chance for the good guys in this case is to pull the exact same trick, but the issue is that one of the good guys needs to guess on of the other good guys correctly for that, and the chance of that happening is 25% unless there's extra information in the game, and further more none of them may have been verified as good already.
So simply put, if we make a wrong decision today we're almost certainly screwed. The option not to kill anybody today doesn't exist with this rule set, so we don't need to contemplate that. (Well, I assume that If the mayor votes for a non-tied player, he must announce a tied player to lynch. also includes the case where the mayor doesn't vote.)

I have the hunch that our current mayor is one of the good guys, so in case we end up with 6 players tomorrow due to success of the blocker, we're probably still fine. (But that doesn't change the fact that we need to kill one of the bad guys right now.)

@Ramon: your accusation against Timballisto is not supposed to be an actual accusation yet (i.e. no bold), right?

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
Good morning town.
You live and lem

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »
I will treat Ramon's post at 2014-06-29 09:46 UTC as an accusation against Timballisto. It is not mandatory to bold accusations, "I accuse X"/"I vote for X" without any conditions is okay, but bold accusations help me distinguish.

As a rules reminder, the day closes 24 hours after the last made/withdrawn accusation. Since Ramon's post was the only one so far, that's in about 10 hours.

Clarification in the original post: If there is a tie, the mayor must choose one of the tied players. (Previous wording: If there is a tie and the mayor has voted for a non-tied player, then bla bla; this assumed the mayor issued a vote.)

-- Simon

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 06:28:13 AM »
Just a nice day In town but I notice something fishy in town
I have a bad feeling about one of the people

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »
ok, last time I agreed with [a person who turned out to be a mafia] to hold off on the first night and it worked out in our favor but I think that was very lucky. In retrospect, the mafia got incredibly bad luck last game. I feel like not trying such a risky approach again. [EDIT} just realized this isn't an option anymore.

I'm a little suspicious of geoo claiming that NaOH is probably a good guy, based on essentially nothing, but again I suppose this is what you must do near the beginning.

I'll second the accusation on Timballisto to get things going.

[edit] I didn't even look at the times I hope I'm not too late. Well I still didn't even read the rules so yeah... :XD:

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
Möbius, your vote would not have changed the game. :-)

The first day has ended, because there were no votes for 24 hours. Timballisto has been voted once (and once more belatedly) and there were no other votes. The town decides to lynch Timballisto, and discovers he was a walker.

Living players: geoo, Giga, möbius, NaOH, Ramon, RubiX
Living citizens: 1 1 1
Current mayor: NaOH
Dead players: Timballisto
  • The mafia may collaborate secretly, PM me and choose a player to assasinate.
  • The blocker may now PM me and choose a player to protect from the mafia.
  • The miner may now PM me and choose a player to investigate.
It is now night, please don't discuss in public.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 01:10:23 AM »
The mafia has assassinated Giga, who was the miner.

Living players: geoo, möbius, NaOH, Ramon, RubiX
Living citizens: 1 1
Current mayor: NaOH
Dead players: Timballisto, Giga

It is now day. Public discussion and voting may begin once more!

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 02:36:27 AM »
Ok let's make it quick, we're 3 evil-doers against 2.5 good guys.
I'm a mafia member. The SHA-1 hash of my partner with a random 8 character string appended to it is 6e91fdb4c391df94c0222e4ba905a66e47aef134, generated via http://www.sha1-online.com/. (I'm not posting the name just yet, in case the exploder screws up in his judgement somehow.) Exploder, please reveal yourself, and verify your identity by blowing up NaOH. You don't have reason to trust me just yet, but once I've seen a sign of life from you, I ask for my partner to reveal himself, and then I'll post the original string that generates the hash from above to verify that he is indeed my partner (I mean, anyone could make a claim). Then you can trust us and blow up NaOH. I know it's a bit convoluted, but the hash thing is even more foolproof and a refined strategy of what I outlined in my previous post.
EDIT: Unless you're NaOH. Then of course blow someone else up, but not me or my partner in crime.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 02:51:43 AM »
Fudge. I was literally three seconds from posting that geoo saying he has "the hunch that our current mayor is one of the good guys" is him trying to sound like the miner, which is now clearly contradicted.

Whelp, clever move. I guess we can maybe try to crack the hash...

Edit: doesn't look like it's any simple capitalisation of any of the user names. Probably there's some junk data (salt) he's hashing, too. I don't feel like proving P=NP today, so I think I'll just watch. There's the very small possibility geoo's bluffing, and that the exploder won't check this thread in time, so...

geoo, I accuse you!

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
Well well well. With the miner gone, this has surely turned interesting!

I accuse NaOH of being a citizen! (Wow it surely feels weird to say that in a Mafia game :P ) This is over now.  :evil:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
Fudge. I was literally three seconds from posting that geoo saying he has "the hunch that our current mayor is one of the good guys" is him trying to sound like the miner, which is now clearly contradicted.
That was the point of that statement, but now I don't need that anymore.

Yes, the salt is an 8-character string I appended. Good luck. :)

To the exploder: please reveal yourself, you can do the math yourself that shows that this is the best move right now. I and my partner will verify ourselves afterwards. Here, quote from my previous post: We are in a [...] situation of two mafia, one exploder and 2 good guys. One of the mafia members will then out himself and his partner, and the partner will verify that claim, thus the exploder will know the mafia and can vote off the good guys with them. The only chance for the good guys in this case is to pull the exact same trick, but the issue is that one of the good guys needs to guess on of the other good guys correctly for that, and the chance of that happening is 25% unless there's extra information in the game, and further more none of them may have been verified as good already. Note that voting off is actually not such a good idea, as someone could make a false exploder claim, and then together with that guy the mafia might vote off the real exploder. But the real exploder is, well, the only one that can actually explode, so this is the way to verify yourself and killing a good guy in the process, which brings us down to 2 mafia and 1 good guy, that the mafia can vote off then.

Ramon, if you are the exploder, can't you just blow up NaOH? It's safer and faster, and otherwise I can't trust you 100%, even though NaOH is most likely not the exploder and just voting her off like that would work too. I'll probably accuse her later tonight to make some extra time.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
I hope you dug your own grave with that pickaxe before you kicked the bucked Giga, no one else is around to do it for you!
harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Happy Canada day eh

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:27 PM »
well the game is afoot!

I explode and kill NaOH

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Am I supposed to name my successor now, or wait until night falls?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
NaOH was a walker. möbius has exploded legally.

After the explosion, the remaining town consists of 1 2. This gives the mafia complete information on who to lynch and therefore win, even if the blocker becomes mayor.

I suggest to end the game here and give the evildoers the win.

If the last good player would like to play on, NaOH shall immediately declare another player mayor. The player's vote, if there is one, will count as 1.5 today already.

-- Simon

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »
The explosion was catastrophic. Chunks of lix and last night's wurst went flying everywhere. Miraculously, the mayor's crown and sash landed squarely on Ramon's head and shoulders.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
Ok just in case Ramon wants to keep playing, I accuse Ramon (of being a blocker)!

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 02:50:40 AM »
Still need more players to get a solid game going

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Ok just in case Ramon wants to keep playing, I accuse Ramon (of being a blocker)!

And I use my blocker abilities block the Mafia from voting today! Err... what, I can't do that? Bummer...  :P If the mayor vote counted as 2 and still broke ties, this could have still worked, at least one more night  :'( voting for geoo just in case the second Mafia guy doesn't show up!

Nah, it's hopeless, at a situation like this it's auto-win for Mafia anyway  :XD:

* Ramon prepares to run for his life

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 03:39:24 AM »
So this is over now, or is it still technically ongoing?

Anyway, seems like the whole thing went downhill for the town when on day 1 Tim was pretty much voted off on nothing but a single random vote from a single person, as no one bothered to say anything in the admittedly perhaps-too-short 24-hour span.  Sure having more people definitely would've helped, but I'm also wondering if maybe we should briefly talk about how Day-1 are typically carried out in Mafia games as many people here are new to Mafia (me included, so yeah, who am I to say anything about this? :P)  Basically even though you would have no serious information to start with, you want to create information even by doing random accusations (which keep in mind is not necessarily completely random if the accuser turns out to be evil), and ideally should have more than one person being nominated (and by different people) to the hot seat at some point, and some efforts at counter-accusations as well even if also random.  The idea is to try to create, for the record, a starting pattern of accusations and counter-accusations.  While not especially illuminating at the start due to lack of info, on later days you can then reference back to these starting events (in addition to other data from events transpired since) as potential fuel for arguments and theories on who's affiliated with who for which side etc.

Of course no one's forcing anyone to play the "typical" way, but the alternative of nobody seemingly want to do or say anything of interest on day 1 is kinda not a great way to start the game.  Especially when the rules require a day-lynch anyway.

[With all that said, it is somewhat doubtful this would've help much in this round outcome-wise, since as noted by geoo from the very outset, you already start off in a situation where a bad lynch would give the evil side a strong winning strategy.  But at least it would make the day-1 more fun and interesting, and end with at least a little more firework rather than practically complete apathy like it did here.]