Author Topic: cLemmings  (Read 38666 times)

Offline exit

• View Profile
Re: cLemmings - a new Lemmings game
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Okay, I can do that. I wasn't trying to demand anything of you. I just wanted to know if you could (and wanted to).

That would be great! It would help a lot of people (including me). You might want to think of putting in a customisable music pattern (e.g. let people add in their own music with names like Track01, etc. and possibly name one track "end" or something like that for the last song). There are a lot of possibilities with this. It would be like the next Lemmings editor past level creation; game creation. You could have the program work sort of like lemmixplayer in that it would pick levels with names "xxxx.lvl". This would probably make it easier both on you as a designer and on users as you could probably alter some of the lemmixplayer code on how it finds levels, and it would be easy for users to use instead of making levelpacks like are in the actual game, of which the order could be very confusing. Obviously these are only ideas, so don't feel pressured. I suggest you start a topic on this if you are going to do it.

Wow, I only have three more Crazy levels to go before I finish the Crazy rating.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
I take back what I said about that one post being the "all demos here" post. Here's the Crazy demo. You might notice how the second Crazy level (Tame 4) has a release rate of zero. I assure you, that is intended. :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 05:59:59 AM »
Okay, I can do that. I wasn't trying to demand anything of you. I just wanted to know if you could (and wanted to).

That would be great! It would help a lot of people (including me). You might want to think of putting in a customisable music pattern (e.g. let people add in their own music with names like Track01, etc. and possibly name one track "end" or something like that for the last song).

I'd have to come up with something specific (like naming one "end", as you suggest, though this probably isn't the exact approach I'd take) for a normal Lemmix version; but on NeoLemmix, the levels themself can actually include information on what music track to play. (If it doesn't have any specific setting, of course, it just resorts to the normal in-order.) NeoLemmix has a lot of cool extra features like that.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
I didn't mean to literally name it end, I just gave an example.

It seems like you're taking this as a serious idea. I will definitely look forward to this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
I didn't mean to literally name it end, I just gave an example.

It seems like you're taking this as a serious idea. I will definitely look forward to this.

I had actually already been thinking about such an idea, so showing interest in it just gives me more motivation to do it. :P

And now that I think about it - the easiest way to allow special musics for certain levels in a traditional version would probably simply be to backport NeoLemmix's feature of allowing selection of music (similar to how I've backported a few NeoLemmix features that don't affect gameplay into CustLemmix, such as 32-color graphic sets).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
You could make it so that you have to name the music track by the level like the levels: 0201 for rating two level one. This way you wouldn't have to make a separate track and call it something else (like "end", for example), but could simply make a track named 0430 (if you have 4 ratings with 30 levels per rating).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
I had actually thought about that exact idea, but the main issue is - what if you want to use that track on more than one level? For example, if you had a special music for the final level of each rank. You'd then have to include four copies of it. Which is why I'm thinking along the lines of sticking to the default NeoLemmix system - that is, they're titled track_##, and it simply loops them once it passes a certain one (which doesn't have to be all of them - for example, you could include up to track_08 but tell it only to go as far as 6 in the automatic rotation, with 7 and 8 being reserved for special levels), plus two tracks with specific titles "gimmick" and "frenzy" though these would not be nessecary if your pack doesn't use gimmick and/or frenzy levels. Then, in each level, there's a setting for which music number to use; whatever value is set here, it plays that track, so on the levels you want the special music, you'd just set this to 7 / 8. (To make a level just use the normal rotation of musics, just set it to 0.) Between the normal rotation and any special musics (but not including the gimmick and frenzy ones), you can have a total of up to 252 tracks in the player, which should be more than enough. The reason the limit is 252 is because the music setting can only range from 0 to 255; and setting it to any of 0 / 253 / 254 / 255 have special functions.

Since this is a fairly effective system, that's why I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be just backport this. The downside is of course that NeoLemEdit is the only level editor that supports the setting. (Lemmix Editor won't take too kindly to levels that have it set, whereas LemEdit should load them fine but might erase the setting when you save them again, not sure.) But you can always design the level in your preferred editor, then just use NeoLemEdit to make that change.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
You could also have the user create an ini file, and have them specify the special tracks, by having tracks named "special_x" and, have them do something like this:

(bit from the hypothetical ini file)
special_0=0101
special_0=0201
special_0=0301
special_0=0401
special_1=0102
special_1=0202
. . .

This would be easier than making separate tracks, and easier than having to open up all the level that need to have special music just to change one setting.

For gimmick and frenzy levels, you could do this:
gimmick_0=(I don't know how gimmick levels would work)
frenzy_0=(Same here)
. . .

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:39 PM »
Traditional Lemmix doesn't support gimmicks and frenzies, so that's not an issue there (Lemmings Plus II and the LPII Bonus Pack do, but that's kind of a special case; their players could probably be considered "pre-NeoLemmix", in that their code is what eventually became NeoLemmix). In NeoLemmix, the setting for them is in the level itself, no need to set it in any INI. (Though more recent versions of NeoLemmix (from V1.08n onwards) also have an option in the settings INI to set a "forced gimmick", that overrides what levels (including levels that don't have a gimmick) set - this can be quite fun to mess around with on existing levels, the backwards walkers gimmick is especially fun on a lot of levels.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
I don't think this should turn into a section of the topic for this, so here's some new on the new Oh No More cLemmings:
The Tame rating will soon be finished! After I make this level, I only have to make twelve more levels (sorry, but I really haven't had much time today), seven of which will be tutorial levels (the tutorial levels will have the same task pairings as the original Lemmings tutorial levels). Once I finish the Tame levels, I will release the prerelease on the topic post.

---------------------------------------

I wasn't thinking. Of course Traditional Lemmix doesn't support gimmicks or frenzies.  :XD:

I was only thinking of setting an ini file for the Traditional Lemmix, by the way

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 02:47:57 AM »
Oh No! More cLemmings is finally (pre)released! Check the topic post for download!

Oh No! More cLemmings WILL NOT include a levellist, as my methods for creating Oh No! More cLemmings was different.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
I haven't properly played any of it yet, but I did have a quick look at some of the Tame and Crazy levels, and it looks like you've really paid attention to the feedback. I look forward to playing these levels, I'll probably start a bit later on today. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 09:08:14 PM »
Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
I did pay attention to the feedback (but you will see the occasional "builder-heavy" level, though, if I recall correctly, none of the later levels in Havoc are builder heavy).

Also, Oh No! More cLemmings is now officially released!
The topic post will now include ONMcL version 1.0, but look onward for the (if there will be) newer versions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Yep, I noticed there's some that appear that way - but there's nothing wrong with them here and there, it's only when they're overused. There are even some great levels out there that rely solely on builders - one good example that comes to mind is the second level in Akseli's pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
Alright. Well, I found another glitch, and I'm going to post it in the glitches thread.