Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171517 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.90b
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
Another error I get when trying to extract is Unable to patch file D:/Games/WINLEMM/sound/bang.wav.
Size of source differs from that in patch header
Can you follow the instructions in my previous post?

Also, make sure you're not extracting to the WinLemm folder. When asked for two paths, the first one must be the WinLemm folder, and the second one must be the folder where you want to extract the files to (again, it cannot be the WinLemm folder).

I highly recommend deleting the contents of your WinLemm folder and reinstalling it from whatever media you have. Doing so should solve your problem.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
I wish you could still assign blockers; climber/floaters :(
This isn't possible in the original games either. I can re-add this if enough people want it, but it still wouldn't be allowed in the included levels.

and I  really don't like the steel being brokenish again.
This behavior exists only in levels that set "classicSteel" to true (all the included levels do). Otherwise, the steel behavior is similar, but not identical, to that of the original Lemmini.

ok great! I haven't had any issues with the starting the game and working btw.  :thumbsup:
I may tell people to use this when I release my Lemmini Levelpack instead of old Lemmini.
--------------
I found possibly a minor graphical glitch [for real this time]. The image attached is a level of mine. The upside-down vines are a different color than when right-side up. I need to investigate more but this doesn't happen in Lemmix or old Lemmini. It's not a big deal in any case.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
I found possibly a minor graphical glitch [for real this time]. The image attached is a level of mine. The upside-down vines are a different color than when right-side up. I need to investigate more but this doesn't happen in Lemmix or old Lemmini. It's not a big deal in any case.
I don't see the problem in that picture; the upside-down vines look the same as the normal ones.

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 08:10:21 PM »
I downloaded the zip file and noticed the SuperLemmini.ini file isn't in the zip file.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
I downloaded the zip file and noticed the SuperLemmini.ini file isn't in the zip file.
That file isn't included; it's created in your home folder (typically "C:\Users\[username]" in Windows 7) after you've run the game. (And notice that I said "home folder." The file is not created where superlemmini.jar is located.)

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
I'm trying to edit a level in Lemmix, but it won't open since the style files are in png format. How can I get Lemmix to work with png?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »
I don't believe Lemmix supports Lemmini styles, it only supports Lemmini levels. You can either download and use the DOS versions of the styles, or else there's an editor called jLevelBuilder that has been built primarily with Lemmini in mind (though it does support DOS/Lemmix format too). It's quite a powerful one; my biggest reason for not using it is that it has the opposite problem to Lemmix: It doesn't support DOS/Lemmix styles, only Lemmini ones. (It's possible to convert them, but that's a bit more hassle than I can be bothered with, especially when I'm creating my own styles and I often test them or even build full levels while still working on the styles.)

jLevelBuilder is probably a better option for Lemmini levels anyway, since I believe Lemmix still enforces DOS limitations even when editing Lemmini levels. (I could be wrong about this - in all honesty, I don't use either; I still use LemEdit - which wouldn't be suitable for you, it has zero Lemmini support whatsoever.)

I'm not sure if Lix's editor supports Lemmini format, since Lix doesn't work at all for me so I haven't investigated much what it's capable of, but that might also be worth looking into.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 01:26:16 AM »
Is there anyway Lemmini can be full screen one day? I've always wondered what it would be like to play it Full Screen.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 05:35:02 AM »
I don't believe Lemmix supports Lemmini styles, it only supports Lemmini levels.
Lemmix actually does support Lemmini styles. However, it doesn't any of the features that are new to SuperLemmini, such as PNG graphics; only GIF is supported.

since I believe Lemmix still enforces DOS limitations even when editing Lemmini levels.
This is also incorrect; Lemmix handles the doubled resolution just fine, as long as a Lemmini style is being used. However, it can't actually play the levels, and the new SuperLemmini features are unsupported and discarded.

Is there anyway Lemmini can be full screen one day? I've always wondered what it would be like to play it Full Screen.
Full-screen support and in-game window resizing likely require an overhaul of graphics-pane code, which I intend to do eventually (no, I don't know when). In the meantime, you can widen the window. To do so, open superlemmini.ini (instructions are in this post), find the line that begins with "frameWidth", and change its value to whatever you want (such as your screen width in pixels). Keep in mind that you can't make it narrower than 800 pixels.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 06:19:36 AM »
Tsyu, check your private messages. =)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 01:17:13 AM »
I added a compatibility guide to the second post. If you have any Lemmini levels and want them to work in SuperLemmini, please read that guide.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »
I've found a fall safe distance error in Genesis Mayhem 15 ("Two Ponds"): the lemmings of the right trap are doomed to die once they are released, but the level demands a 100% saving. Check it, please.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »
I've found a fall safe distance error in Genesis Mayhem 15 ("Two Ponds"): the lemmings of the right trap are doomed to die once they are released, but the level demands a 100% saving. Check it, please.
It turns out that the Genesis version spawns lemmings four pixels lower than the Amiga and DOS versions do (out of curiosity, did ccexplore already know this?). I updated the Genesis pack to make the styles take this into account.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »
out of curiosity, did ccexplore already know this?

I don't, apparently.  But I tested quickly on Lemmix (editor), and it turns out other game-mechanics differences kind of fix the problem for Mayhem 15:

- When played using "Dos Original Lemmings" style, the mechanics (which emulates PC DOS Lemmings) spawns lemmings one pixel more to the left compare to other styles like DOS ONML or CustLemm.   This is a well known difference/quirk with that mechanics, and in this case it is enough to make the fall safe for the right entrance.

- When played using "Custom Lemmings" style, although now it spawns at the usual x-position, that style is also known to have increased the safe-fall distance by 3 pixels, which is also enough to make the fall safe for the right entrance.

- The one Lemmix style where Ron's reported problem happens is ironically the "Sega Genesis/Megadrive" style I created specifically for the conversion, which uses alternate versions of VGAGRx and GROUNDx  files to make the visuals look like the Genesis version.  For that style I defined it in LemmixStyles.ini to use the ONML mechanics (presumably because I found it to be closer to Genesis behavior than Lemmings 1), which both spawns at the usual x-position and doesn't have the higher safe-fall distance, and testing today shows indeed the lemmings splat at the right entrance.

So by happy accidents, that level can apparently still work out okay in most of the configurations it can be played in back in the days.  I guess that may be why no one reported a problem with this level all this time. :-\

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
It turns out that the Genesis version spawns lemmings four pixels lower than the Amiga and DOS versions do (out of curiosity, did ccexplore already know this?). I updated the Genesis pack to make the styles take this into account.

The Original Lemmings package has also a weird level, but this time, related to graphics: check Fun 20 (We Are Now At LEMCON ONE) - there's toxic waste on the left columns!!!