Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171579 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
SuperLemmini 0.104a
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:08 AM »
It's finally out! Superlemmini is a modification of Lemmini that I've been working on for some time. Here are some of the features that have been added:

• Lots of bugs fixed
  • Game mechanics more faithful to the Amiga version while preserving Lemmini's smooth motion
  • Automatic mod support: Level packs can apply added and changed assets when loaded
  • Support for WAV, AIFF, AU, OGG, XM, S3M, MOD, and MIDI music
  • PNG and GIF graphics
  • Support for importing LVL files from DAT files
  • Support for multilayer animated backgrounds
  • Vertical level scrolling
  • 324 levels included (sort of; extraction from Windows version is still necessary):
    • 120 levels from original Amiga Lemmings
    • 4 levels from "Free with Commodore Promotion Pack" version
    • 2 levels from "Book Club" version
    • Apple level (see here)
    • "Going Their Separate Ways" from Mac version
    • "One Way to Freedom" from Amiga Format demo
    • 100 OMNL levels
    • 2 Xmas '91 levels
    • 4 Xmas '92 levels
    • 32 Holiday '93 levels from Amiga version
    • "Vacation in Gemland" from DOS version of Holiday '93
    • 32 Holiday '94 levels
    • 8 levels from COVOX Lemmings
    • 16 levels from Lemmings Companion

Download it here (Java 8 required): https://www.dropbox.com/s/knqj014prgwyw9i/superlemmini_0.104a.zip?dl=1
(Source code: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dav3k830iiulfg/superlemmini_0.104a_source.zip?dl=1)

Here's a package containing an enhanced version of the Lemmings soundtrack, containing music from certain DOS CD versions and Mac Holiday Lemmings. To install it, first complete the SuperLemmini resource extraction, then place this file where you saved the resources.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm4q07xr497kzfi/superlemmini_enhanced_music.lzp?dl=1

Here are the levels from the Genesis/Mega Drive version. Install it in the same manner as the music pack above.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5frnphi4ze9nvv/superlemmini_megadrive.lzp?dl=1

Newer versions of the NeoLemmix editor do not support SuperLemmini. For more information, see this thread:
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2874.0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:53:18 AM by Tsyu »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.90
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:33 AM »
Playing levels via the command line

To start a level directly with the command line, use this syntax:

Code: [Select]
java -jar [superlemmini.jar path] -l [level path]
Both paths must include the file name.

For now, levels loaded in this manner cannot use mods. I plan to remedy this sometime in the future.

How to use the mod feature

The mod feature allows you to create assets that are used only in certain level packs. For example, maybe you want the lemmings to look different, or maybe you want to add terrain pieces to a default style (which requires modifying an INI file); tasks like these are best done using the mod feature.

To create a mod, go to the folder where you performed the initial resource extraction and open the "mods" folder. Create a new folder there and give it any name you want (this will be your mod's name). Inside that folder, add the files that you want to have in your mod, using the same folder structure as the main resource folder.

To use a mod in your level pack, open levelpack.ini and add a new line containing "mods = ", followed by a list of mods that you want your level pack to use. It should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
mods = mymod1, mymod2
Mods are listed in order from highest priority to lowest priority.

To see an example of this in action, see the Genesis level pack, which includes its own mod.

Lemmini level compatibility

Because of the changes in SuperLemmini, some levels may not play properly, especially if they use custom or modified styles. Here are some of the things that may need to be changed:

General
  • Never have the user overwrite any of the default resources! If you wish to modify them for your levels, use the mod feature instead! (And don't include any of the default resources in the mod unless they are supposed to be modified, renamed, or moved. Not only is doing so in violation of the license agreement, it can prevent updates to those resources from taking effect in your levels!)

Styles
  • The "xmas" style is included with SuperLemmini, so your levels do not need to (and should not) include that style unless it was changed. (And note that it's called "xmas", not "christmas". If you used that latter name for the style, then you may need to adjust your levels.)
  • The original Lemmini used the middle of the lemming for object collision detection. In SuperLemmini, this has been changed to just below the lemming's foot, which is what the original games did. For this reason, you will likely need to adjust your style's trigger areas. The maskOffsetX_n and maskOffsetY_n parameters (where n is the object number) can be used to move the trigger areas.
  • The sound that's played when a lemming hits one-way arrows now depends on the sound_n parameter. Assuming you're using the default sounds and sound table, set the value of sound_n to 3.
  • Likewise, the trapdoor sound is now defined in sound_n. The sound that you probably want is 5.

levelpack.ini
  • The files awesome.mod, beasti.mod, beastii.mod, and menace.mod have been moved to a subfolder called "special." For this reason, if the music list includes these, then you must append "special/" to the beginning of each of those entries. Failure to do so can result in a crash.

Levels
  • The style called "special" no longer exists; the special graphics are now implemented in a fasion similar to the original games. If you have a level that uses the "special" style, you must modify it in the following manner:
    • If the terrain piece isn't placed at exactly 608:0, then move it there. You may also need to move the objects and the starting position.
    • Change the value of the "style" parameter to "brick".
    • Add a new parameter called "specialStyle" and set its value to the appropriate special style ("awesome", "beasti", beastii", or "menace").
    • Remove the terrain piece.
    • Look through the object entries for objects with an ID of 2. Change those to 7.
    • If the terrain piece was inverted or multiple pieces were used, then the instructions above are not appropriate for your level. If this is the case, then you will need to create a new style using the graphics from the dirt set and the special styles, which are found in the subfolders of the styles\special folder.

And, most important, test your levels! Many adjustments to physics, styles, and other things were made in SuperLemmini, so what worked in the original Lemmini might not work in SuperLemmini.

Backgrounds

Information on the background format is in the level documentation that's included with SuperLemmini (docs\level format.txt), just after the steel section.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:10:20 AM by namida »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:58:33 AM »
This should be exciting. I was going to try it out but I get this error message (see attachment) when I've extracted the WinLemm files. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but can someone please help me out with this?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 07:24:55 AM »
It sounds like the resource extraction didn't go quite right. Can you post a screenshot of your resource folder (that is, where you extracted the WinLemm files)?

(In the future, don't post BMPs; they're uncompressed and can get quite large. Use PNG instead.)

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »
Hi Tsyu,

I've started testing Superlemmini out for you, I'll let you know of any bugs I find.

Not sure why but I'm having to extract the files from winlemm everytime I start Superlemmini up though. I keep getting the message it is the first time I've started Superlemmini even though it isn't. Is this intentional or should it be a one-time only extraction?

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:30:13 AM »
Not sure why but I'm having to extract the files from winlemm everytime I start Superlemmini up though. I keep getting the message it is the first time I've started Superlemmini even though it isn't. Is this intentional or should it be a one-time only extraction?

I have the same issue. Also, music doesn't seem to go fluent, but by fits and starts.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.90a
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
The problem that everyone is experiencing is caused by the routine that gets the path where the JAR file is located--namely, that it doesn't work if the JAR is not named "lemmini.jar." I haven't figured out how to fix it (it's a surprisingly difficult thing to do), so I switched to saving superlemmini.ini to the user's home folder instead of where the JAR is located.

Download SuperLemmini again from the original post and see whether the problem continues to occur more than once.

Also, music doesn't seem to go fluent, but by fits and starts.
Can you post your system specs? Are you using the music pack (and not playing the ONML or Holiday '94 levels)?

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.90a
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Can you post your system specs? Are you using the music pack (and not playing the ONML or Holiday '94 levels)?

Yes, I am using the default music pack, and it happens both in ONML and in Lemmings 1 levels.
I am using Windows 7 within a 10" Intel Atom laptop. More precisely, Intel Atom N270, dual core @ 1.6 Ghz, 32 bits, 2 GB RAM.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.90b
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
Yes, I am using the default music pack, and it happens both in ONML and in Lemmings 1 levels.
I am using Windows 7 within a 10" Intel Atom laptop. More precisely, Intel Atom N270, dual core @ 1.6 Ghz, 32 bits, 2 GB RAM.
When I said "music pack," I was referring to the enhanced music pack that's downloaded separately, not what comes with the game. Which one were you referring to?

Anyway, I made another update (0.90b) that should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then go to your "home" folder (usually C:\Users\[username] in Windows 7) and open "superlemmini.ini" (the ".ini" part might be hidden). In that file, look for a line that begins with "bufferSize". Change the number to 16384, save the file, and run SuperLemmini. If you still get the stuttering, try 32768. If that doesn't work, try 65536.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 01:37:26 AM »
I downloaded and tried-- thanks for your hard-work!  :thumbsup:

It was nice to play the Covox levels which I never have before, and will eventually try the others which I never have.

I like the points system. I love the right click/walker select and middle mouse button scroll!
also being able to block out of the entrance again is very nice

I don't like all of the changes however; I wish you could still assign blockers; climber/floaters :( and I  really don't like the steel being brokenish again.

I may have found a problem with the graphics; in the crystal terrain the black portions of terrain seem to be treated just like empty space.  ???
I actually got this to happen with old Lemmini somehow  but I don't remember how
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 02:56:37 AM »
I wish you could still assign blockers; climber/floaters :(
This isn't possible in the original games either. I can re-add this if enough people want it, but it still wouldn't be allowed in the included levels.

and I  really don't like the steel being brokenish again.
This behavior exists only in levels that set "classicSteel" to true (all the included levels do). Otherwise, the steel behavior is similar, but not identical, to that of the original Lemmini.

I may have found a problem with the graphics; in the crystal terrain the black portions of terrain seem to be treated just like empty space.  ???
Is the COVOX level the only "crystal" level that you tried? If so, then keep in mind that that level is really a special-graphics level that uses the bubble set. What you observed there also happens in the DOS version, and I don't plan on changing it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 04:43:29 AM »
Yeah, COVOX level exhibits that problem in all versions. Black space is regarded as non-solid in VGASPEC levels; you can see similar effects in Mayhem 22.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
I try to extract but I get the error saying CRC error for file D:/Games/WINLEMM/SOUND/BANG.WAV. How would I extract it successfully and not get any errors?

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:07 AM »
I try to extract but I get the error saying CRC error for file D:/Games/WINLEMM/SOUND/BANG.WAV. How would I extract it successfully and not get any errors?
It sounds like that file differs from what I (and everyone else here) have. If you have the CD, can you try reinstalling WinLemm (that just means copying files from the CD)? If that doesn't work or you don't have the CD (please tell me which one is the case), then upload WINLEMM/SOUND/BANG.WAV to an online hash calculator (here's a good one) and tell me what the SHA-1 hash is.

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
Another error I get when trying to extract is Unable to patch file D:/Games/WINLEMM/sound/bang.wav.
Size of source differs from that in patch header