Poll

what's the Android version of your main Android device?

<3
1 (5.6%)
<4
0 (0%)
4.0 or 4.1
2 (11.1%)
4.2 or 4.3
0 (0%)
>= 4.4
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)  (Read 130154 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
Either version would be interesting. The nice thing about the Walker skill is that it allows (1) normal walkers to turn round; (2) lemmings performing a continuous skill to stop (or builders to stop early); (3) blockers to stop blocking without exploding themselves -- and in any given level, you generally don't know in advance which function it will serve (though the absence of blockers removes one possibility!) so there are a variety of approaches you can try out. This can lead to backroutes, but if the designer has been careful, it can make the solution process more interesting.

The choice between the two varieties of Walker doesn't affect this much. Indeed, for bashers, miners and diggers, the two will often be equivalent, as the terrain would turn them around anyway. For builders, Lix/NL behaviour means the builder-walker will immediately step off his bridge -- depending on the situation, this might be exactly what the player wants or exactly what they don't want.

Personally, I'd prefer you to go with Lix/NL behaviour just on account of consistency: that would make it easy to design levels for your game that could easily be ported to Lix and NL (which I would love to do). But no big deal if you prefer to do it the other way. Most levels will still be easy to port, or could be made to work with minimal changes.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
Ok, the "Walker" behaviour will work as in Lix/NL.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »
Today, I worked on the "Sci-Fi" tileset.
It's a tileset I started working on a long time ago: currently, it's ok, but I'm not fully satisfied with it, so I want to improve it.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:44 PM »
Ooh, that looks good!

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
Awsome! This is one im super interested in :)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
I keep on working on this tileset (some new screenshots below).

And, by the way, I added 2 new features:
  • 1-way passthru walls/areas
  • anti-splat pads
I also updated the "Walker" behavior: Walkers now act as in NeoLemmix/Lix (see posts above).

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:53:52 PM by LJLPM »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
epic!

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
some more screenshots of the "sci-fi' tileset.
It's possible to create some complex levels with this tileset.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:10:55 PM by LJLPM »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »
Brilliant.
Any chance on releasing a beta version soon for us to test and give feedback ?

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
The game was initially scheduled for this year, but, since this is a free-time project + I miss time to work on it, then I progress slowly, and I'll miss the release in 2015 :(

The project is going well, but to be honest, a lot of work is still needed, and the game is far from being released: it lacks new Lemmings-like sprites + interactive Objects (doors, traps) + some things need to be polished (title-screen, menus, ...)

Sorry for the delay, but be assured that I work hard on this game, and I hope it will please the Lemmings fans who play on Android!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:33:41 PM by LJLPM »

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Here's a glimpse of the tileset I work on: many pieces and platforms allow the design of complex structures. And, even if it's not clear on the pictures, the tiles have a nice old-school 2D pixel-art look, because I keep on working on that! (the gfx have an important role in the game/in Lemmings, and I don't want the gfx to be a weak point for the game).

edit:
in order to break the "too-much-red" atmosphere of the tileset, I'll probably include the new tiles to the Pillar tileset.
I made a quick test, and it seems to work well.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2015, 06:03:35 AM »
One thing I notice is that the builder steps look very... I don't know how to describe it, but they just don't look right...

Aside from that, this looks very impressive! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:22 PM »
Thank you for your input because every detail count! There's probably not much to worry about the steps, but here's a better view of a bridge: it's actually thicker than Lemmings' bridges (here, 1 step = 2 rows of 6 pixels), but it looks ok during the game ; and most important, Lemmings collide well with the steps.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »
Hi, a quick message about the work in progress:
- still working on the gfx/tilesets : currently, for me, the gfx are the game's weak point (I'm happy with the Marble, Brick, and Pillar tilesets, but I know I can do better for the other tilesets!). I'm happy with how the game plays/runs, so I definitively don't want the gfx to lower the quality of the final game. Sorry to delay the release of the game, but I want to deliver the best Lemmings-game possible!
- I also fixed a new "sync" bug that I recently found with the Replays
- and I also updated the level-editor (jLevelBuilder) with new features I found useful for making levels

conclusion: even if topic updates are not frequent, I can assure you that I'm working on the game :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 07:47:20 PM by LJLPM »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
Im gonna be honest, personally because i dont own an android, at least not yet, i wish i can port these tilesets to neolemmix, because they look interesting