Poll

what's the Android version of your main Android device?

<3
1 (5.6%)
<4
0 (0%)
4.0 or 4.1
2 (11.1%)
4.2 or 4.3
0 (0%)
>= 4.4
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)  (Read 130179 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2015, 09:35:22 PM »
The "Sci-Fi" tileset isn't as good-looking as the "(new)Pillar" one above, but, with its numerous small pieces (100+), it allows the design of complex structures/labyrinths for Lemmings. (please note that entry and exit doors are still Lemmini's hi-res versions, so they are twice as big as they should actually be)

- jLevelBuilder + tablet + smartphone screen-captures:

BradLee

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »
Wow. It really looks phenomenal. I can't wait to try it out.

A couple of questions I have on the game mechanics, since I can't try it yet...

1. Will it have pinch to zoom/un-zoom? (Since it is designed for touch devices)
2. Will you be able to swipe the landscape left or right, rather than scroll?

Cheers.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
1. Yes, zoom-in/zoom-out via pinch is supported
2. not sure about what you meant here (auto-scroll?), but for moving in the level, you just touch the screen and drag the view until you see what you want to see (or you can also click on the map to directly go to a specific location)

By the way, this morning, I made some tests with jLevelBuilder's "Mirror" options (horizontal+vertical mirrorring) to create a 3200*640px level (double-height level) based on my previous post's sci-fi level (6 entries, 2 exits now): results are shown on the screenshots below, and as you can see, level-designers will be able to think really BIG! (note that there is still empty room on the left & right sides of the level  :))

- jLevelBuilder + smartphone + tablet (x2) screen-captures (last image shows the whole level displayed on the tablet):

BradLee

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
1. Yes, zoom-in/zoom-out via pinch is supported

Great. :)

2. not sure about what you meant here (auto-scroll?), but for moving in the level, you just touch the screen and drag the view until you see what you want to see (or you can also click on the map to directly go to a specific location)

Sorry I meant to say does it support swiping rather then having to select L&R triangles or having to hold your finger to the edge like you do with the mouse cursor to make the screen move.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
Sorry I meant to say does it support swiping rather then having to select L&R triangles or having to hold your finger to the edge like you do with the mouse cursor to make the screen move.
Yes, you simply drag the screen (no need to hold your finger near the screen's edge ; and there's no "left & right scrolling" buttons)

BradLee

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Yes, you simply drag the screen (no need to hold your finger near the screen's edge ; and there's no "left & right scrolling" buttons)

Nice.  :thumbsup:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
Still working on the game's graphics (tilesets), and here's the newest one (see screenshots below): it's good-looking on screen, and it's very good at creating some kind of "lunar" landscapes. I'm really happy with it :)
None of the existing tilesets is finished yet (no trap atm!) :'( , but they are promising...
... slow progress + so much work still awaiting, it looks like this project will never end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but, yes, it will!)

- top:level in jLevelBuilder, middle:tablet(2x screenshots), bottom:smartphone

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
I've updated the "Colors/Colorful" tileset: now, there are 100+ tiles to use for designing levels. Here are some screenshots showing what can be achieved with this tileset.

- as usual, jLevelBuilder + tablet + smartphone screenshots:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:01 PM »
there is a recent topic about adding achievements to NeoLemmix, and since "unlocking achievements" is a popular feature, I've added achievements to the Android game, too :)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
some news about the WIP: I'm still looking for getting the right tilesets for the game, and this is quite a task, actually!
My goal is to create tilesets that have the "Lemmings" feel => having cool tilesets is mandatory for making the game enjoyable! (if I go wrong with the tilesets, I'll have the feeling of spoiling the whole project, and believe me, we're not too far from having a nice Lemmings1 clone for Android!  8-)). In short, I must NOT fail on the tilesets, or it will ruin everything.

Below, is my latest tileset (no name yet): it's not finished yet, but I like it since it works well in the game, with all the Lemmings moving around.

Please remember, that when the game is released, you'll be able to create, load, and share your own levels, using in-game tilesets or external tilesets (and the game's tilesets will also be freely available, if you want to use them in Lix, (Neo)Lemmix, or (Super)Lemmini).

- screenshots from jLevelBuilder, smartphone, and tablet:

About my work on the tilesets, I also wanted to resize (@50%) previously-created tiles to better match the Lemmings' size during the game (Lemmings are tiny: sizes are comparable to the Amiga/AtariST/DOS versions). Here's the result for the "Colors" tileset, and it looks good during the game (as a matter of fact, I'll probably use large & small versions of the tilesets for the levels  ;)).

To be continued...

edit:
... there's no "left & right scrolling" buttons...
in case players would like to have "left, right, up, down" scrolling buttons, I have added them to the game.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
So good :)

Im sure this is going to be a huge success when people all over the world see it.   Lemmings for android?  nowai !!!

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »
Thanks :) It's a very exciting project, and I can't wait to see the game released!

I'm still working on the tilesets, and here are more screenshots of the latest titeset (kind of "blue metal" tileset).
This tileset is good for making tech/sci-fi structures (actually, results are better, cleaner, crisper with this tileset than with my previous scif-fi tileset, but I'll also keep the 1st sci-fi tileset since it works well, too). I plan to expand this tileset with more tiles (already 100+ tiles exist).

As usual, you'll find screenshots from 1) the level-editor (jLevelBuilder), 2) from the tablet, and 3) from the smartphone versions of the game.

Plus, for in-game screenshots, you'll find one screenshot using the large/hi-res version of the tileset + one screenshot using the small/low-res version of the tileset (simply refer to the map below the actual level, to see what version of the tileset is used: large/hi-res or small/low-res). The hi-res version is pretty cool, I think.

Please do not consider these levels as final: they are just prototypes to see if the tiles work/glue well together (as a matter of fact, using these test-levels, I could discard many tiles that didn't work!).

- prototype #1 (jLB + tablet + smartphone):

- prototype #2 (jLB + tablet + smartphone):

edit:
updated 1st post, with currently-available tilesets.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
I've added a new feature to the game: "wide-screen/expert" mode.
In "wide-screen/expert" mode, map and counters (time, saved Lemmings, alive Lemmings) are no longer displayed at the bottom of screen, making more room to display the actual level :) I don't know why I didn't think about this feature earlier! :P
In this mode, time info + "saved Lemmings" (if any) info are displayed above the exit door (and the "alive Lemmings" info is no longer available).

You can see the result on the screenshots below.
- top screen is the level built in jLevelBuilder
- middle screens show the game on tablet (display in classic mode first, then display in "wide-screen/expert" mode => no more map! => more room for the level!)
- bottom screens show the game on smartphone (display in classic mode, then in "wide-screen/expert" mode + a 3rd screenshot that shows a zoomed view of the tiles)
Being able to play with an almost-full-screen level is a nice addition to the game!

And as you can also notice on the screenshots, the level uses a new tileset: it's my most recent tileset ; it has 100+ tiles, and I think it has the "Lemmings" feel (which is a result I try to reach).

Finally, I started working on the animated Objects (traps, and doors), and I'm confident in having nice animated items for the levels :)

Stay tuned!

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2015, 03:47:32 AM »

Very nice with the expanded view idea.   Keep it up  :thumbsup:

Offline Ben H

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »
Soon?