Poll

what's the Android version of your main Android device?

<3
1 (5.6%)
<4
0 (0%)
4.0 or 4.1
2 (11.1%)
4.2 or 4.3
0 (0%)
>= 4.4
15 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)  (Read 130159 times)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings-like game (wip)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:42 AM »
update #1:
--------------
I have added a gameplay feature which was missing since one can complete the levels:
- the "Failure/Retry Level" screen, when the player doesn't succeed in completing a level  :(
- or, in the other case, the transition to the next level, when the player successfully completes a level  :D
It doesn't sound like a big thing, yet it's a nice addition to the game, because, now, levels are "linked" somehow (level1 -> level2 -> level3 -> ...)... at last!!!
And I had a lot of things already working except this "level completed? -> go to next level/retry level" behaviour, so it had to be done!

update #2:
--------------
For each level, player's stats are now saved in the game's internal database :thumbsup:
- % of saved
- time used to complete the level

update #3:
--------------
I was thinking about adding some new (non-Lemming1) skills to the game (less new skills than in Lemmings2, though), and I've added the "teleporter" skill (actually, it was so easy to add that it was convenient to start with this one).
You can apply this skill to perform an instant horizontal forward teleportation (for the early tests, it's a 40px-forward teleportation).
Atm, I'm not sure if the final game will include new skills, but it's an option to consider, and I'm making some tests with that.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: Android: Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
Still working on the Android game, and, today, here come... the "Trigger Areas"!  :D
They are the 4 red rectangles that you can see on the screenshot below (for my tests, I used my own custom values. I didn't even look at the Lemmings' ones, but I guess it should be more or less similar).
Everything is working as expected (for example, I zoomed the part where the Lemming is drowning)!

edit:
- added "pre-located Lemmings" feature
- added "skills to be picked-up" feature
- added "teleporters A<--->B" feature

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 01:16:12 AM »
Ok, I have finished coding the Android game: yes, it's done! :D Basically, right now, it's a Lemmings1 clone.
On my Nexus7, it runs smoothly and it seems stable too.

Actually, I want to add some extra features (compared to Lemmings1), so the dev isn't really "finished" ; but, since the game itself is now done, then the hard part is achieved, and it's quite easy (fun) to add some extra features or new skills (I have aldready added the "pre-located Lemming", "skills to be picked-up", and "teleporter Objects" features, for example).

Besides adding some extra features for the gameplay, now I can focus on making the game's graphics + designing levels with jLevelBuilder (the initial purpose for my level-editor was to create levels for this Lemmings-like game!).

One more thing: right now, there is absolutely no sound during the game. I'll take care of this at a later time...

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
I've just added a "Save/Load Replay" feature.
You'll be able to save replays of your games on your Android device, in order to share them or play them at a later time.

- below is a screenshot that shows a replay of my previous game:
(see the word "Replay" in the upper-left corner of the screen?)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: [Android] Lemmings-like game (WIP)
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
a new bunch of screenshots:

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
added locked levels.
How to unlock levels?
 - defeat the previous level, of course
 - or use the passwords you will find on the Internet :P (once you complete a level, a password is given for unlocking the next level => so players will be able to share the passwords to help other people)

I'm really happy with this dev! Be patient: the result should worth the wait!

- below is a screenshot of the "Select Level" screen (WIP screen, since I'll probably use a nicer image for locked levels)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
The game already allowed to load your own custom levels 8), now the game also handles "custom styles"!!! :thumbsup: (custom styles in Lemmini format).

The game will come with its own 100%-new graphics, and I will NOT provide copyrighted material, but you'll be able to add your own custom tilesets to the game (you can create 100% new tilesets, or you can use existing ones, such as Lemmini's tilesets). And it's as easy as copying/pasting your Lemmini's tileset dirs into the game's main directory on your Android device! Very easy, and a nice addition to the game!

And it goes without saying, but you'll be able to share your levels, of course!

By the way, I would like to perform more tests with this feature: could you tell me where I can find custom tilesets (the Sega tileset, for example) in Lemmini format, please? (and maybe levels for such tilesets too, in .lvl or .ini format). Thank you for your help!

- being able to load your own levels + your own tilesets into the game will allow you to have something like this popup on your Android device (at least, it works on Nexus 7):

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 07:54:48 AM »
Nice pictures. However, I can't read the purple text, especially if it's on a dark-coloured background. Is there any way you can increase the size of the text as well as changing the background?

By the way, I would like to perform more tests with this feature: could you tell me where I can find custom tilesets (the Sega tileset, for example) in Lemmini format, please? (and maybe levels for such tilesets too, in .lvl or .ini format). Thank you for your help!

I'm not sure if this is possible, but you could try namida's NeoLemmix, have a look at the style files section, download the Direct link to updated style files and try to compile them. I might be wrong. :-\
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »
I can't read the purple text, especially if it's on a dark-coloured background. Is there any way you can increase the size of the text as well as changing the background?
Yes, it's planned: background and font/font size are not final ; it's something I didn't spend time on it yet. 
The idea was just to show the current state of the game.

About the custom tilesets, thanks, I'll see what I can do!

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
Thanks :D Yes, the icons/selection bar will have a better look in the final game.
The current icons are things I've added early (and quickly!), in order to have some pictures applied on the default Android buttons.
Today, I've added the sound effects to the game.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 11:20:38 PM »
Will it work on any resolution Android device? Is that an automatic thing that changes or do you need to add these changes for each device?

I'm not an expert in Android software development (basically, I'm self-teaching Android with this project), and I have immediate access  to only one recent Android device, a Nexus 7 tablet : so to make it short, it's already quite a task to make the game running and working as expected ;P , and handling multi-resolution support would definitively add extra work, so, sorry, but I don't think I will spend time or money in trying to make the game run on various android devices :( (there are really too many different Android configurations out-there).

My main target is Nexus7's resolution which is something like 1920×1200.
I'm focused on making the game run on N7, and, atm, I really don't know how the game works on any other Android device...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:26 AM »
I think most Android games just build their assets around a small set of "common" resolutions based on a small list of devices (or display types) they want their game to look great on (eg. Samsung Galaxy line), and accommodate the rest via scaling.  I imagine you could do something similar, where the game would look best on 1920x1200, but is workable in other resolutions even if not looking as nice.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 01:59:24 AM »
Atm, I'm not focused on other resolutions, but, yes, later, I'll make some tests on several Android devices, and maybe I'll be able to make some adjustments for different Android configurations...

By the way, :
- levels now handle locked exit door(s) which is/are unlocked when a Lemming touches the "Key" item (by default, levels have no "Unlock" key, and exit door(s) is/are unlocked, just as in the original Lemmings)
- I've added a new interactive Object: a switch that enable/disable solid platforms when a Lemming touches it (then the switch is temporally disabled, allowing many Lemmings to walk over the switch before making it interactive again). It may be nice for thinking about new level designs.
- and I've also added the "Swimmer" skill :D
(for designing levels, I'll have to update jLevelBuilder to make it handle the new skills)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
I have added new options for Terrains:
- "left <-> right" inversion (Lemmings already allowed the "up <-> down" inversion)
- and "90° rotation"
These new attributes are compatible with the "Eraser" attribute (as seen in the screenshot below) and with the "No Overwrite" attibute, and they are also already coded in jLevelBuilder.

Actually, the Android game already supports free rotation angles (for example, in the screenshot, rotations are 70° each). But it's in jLevelBuilder that I have to update my code if I want other rotations than the default 90° rotation.

edit:
now, I've also added a "shrink" factor (not seen in the screenshot) in order to use smaller versions of Terrain assets (that's nice).
But, currently, this new option only exists in the game, and it's not supported in jLevelBuilder yet, so I'll have to take some time to update jLB for including this "Shrink" feature.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 04:16:06 AM »
Looking forward to trying it.
I have an Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet  http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/model/NT.L3WAA.003
So you'll get my input on how it runs on another android device when you are happy to release it to the public.

Great work so far!   :thumbsup: