Author Topic: Lemmix Player Collection (Current: V29)  (Read 32435 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmix Player Collection (Current: V29)
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
For some reason EricLang only ever made a player for Holiday Lemmings 93. ccexplore also didn't change this in his updates. Well, I finally decided to put one together. So it has the full H94 level set (including H93 levels), as well as music! And then more recently than this, I've done players for the Covox and Prima demos as well. And then even more recently again, I've made a player for "extra" levels - the unique levels from Genesis and to a lesser extent various other versions.

Now don't get me wrong, EricLang's effort on Lemmix is nothing short of amazing, but it is a fact that the players on his site are incomplete and outdated versions. Therefore, I've put together this collection of Lemmix players. They're all up to date (using ccexplore's source code; they don't (except CustLemmix) have any of my own modifications apart from adding in the different games' content).

Downloads are available here. On the DropBox link, if you want to download them all at once, just click the "..." icon near the top and there's a "Download as ZIP" option.

DropBox Downloads
Downloads on the NeoLemmix Website

Contains:
  • Original
  • Oh No! More Lemmings!
  • Xmas Lemmings 91/92 (in a single player)
  • Holiday Lemmings 94 (which also contains the H93 levels)
  • COVOX Lemmings Demo
  • Official Companion (Prima Publishing) Demo
  • "Extra" - See below

These are all traditional Lemmix versions, not NeoLemmix ones. They are however based off CustLemmix code, so a very limited selection of NeoLemmix features are supported, in cases where those are exposed to the user (most are relating to files that are internal) - most notably oddtabling and specifying music tracks when using LookForLVLFiles.

The "Extra" player contains some levels that weren't in the DOS versions. Most, but not all, of them are from the Genesis version. It has 8 ranks, although it should be thought of as categories rather than progressive difficulties (similar to LPII Bonus Pack's ranks):
"Genesis": 47 unique or semi-unique levels from Fun, Tricky, Taxing and Mayhem in the Genesis version
"Present": The Present rank from Genesis, 30 levels
"Sunsoft": The Sunsoft rank from Genesis, 30 levels
"Genesis 2P": 3 unique or semi-unique two-player levels from Genesis
"Sega": 12 unique levels from Master System (both versions of each of the five Sega levels, plus "Sixes Not!" and "Stepping Stones")
"PSP": Remakes of 36 unique levels from PSP
"Amiga 2P": 30 two-player levels from the Amiga versions of Orig and OhNo
"Other": 11 other unique levels - (in in-game order) "One Way to Freedom" (Amiga demo), "The Apple Computer Level" (Mac demo), "Go for it!" (Amiga Budget), "Lemming Lament" (Amiga Budget), "Through the graveyard" (Amiga Bookclub), "Going Their Separate Ways" (Mac), "Ohayo Lemming San" (SNES), "It's not over 'til it's over" (Amiga Budget), "Something weighing on your mind?" (Amiga Bookclub), "Don't Make The Wrong Choice!" (Amiga Budget) and "Clouds of Lemmings" (Amiga H93 / H94)

These are based on my own CustLemmix source code, which is in turn based on ccexplore's version of Lemmix, which is ultimately originally made by EricLang. For the levels in Extra, credit goes to many people for decoding and collecting most of the levels; the exception is the Sega Master System levels where both the graphic set and the levels I remade myself.

If you want the DOS musics, simply download the appropriate music pack from here and place it in the same folder as the EXE. (It should also match the EXE name - for example, if the player is filenamed LemmixPlayer.exe, then the music pack to go with it should be LemmixPlayer_Music.dat).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwci74rrp9x87i7/AAAh4a7gF89uLVp9iEGSNm5aa
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:53:06 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline nobody

• View Profile
Re: Holiday 94 Lemmix Player
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:30 PM »
Thanks for this. Did you not implement passwords? Because there's no way in hell I'm playing Hail level 3. I tried the easy level codes (i.e. rating + number) that the other versions of standalone Lemmix use, and the original passwords, but neither worked.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:09 AM »
Cheat codes definitely work. Make sure you enter "CHEATCODES" first to activate them.
You can skip any level by pushing "5". (You don't have to enter CHEATCODES first.)

Passwords from the original DOS games have never worked in any version of Lemmix. However, the codes Lemmix itself gives you should work to pick up where you left off.

You're probably aware of the original version having a mixup with whether the last rank is titled "Blitz" or "Blizzard". As the graphic says "Blitz", for this player, I also made the in-game text say "Blitz". Therefore, that also applies when using the cheat codes - make sure you enter "BLITZ", as it won't recognize "BLIZZARD".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
Thanks, I didn't realize you had to activate cheatcodes first.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
As per Tsyu's suggestion, these have been updated to include the fixed versions of the first music track each from ONML and H94. I also restored the 3rd track in H94 to the original Amiga one. The included version of CustLemmix is also up-to-date (supports 32-color palettes and has the fixed musics).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmix Player Collection (including H94, Covox and Prima)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 05:47:40 AM »
Another update. Added players for Covox and Official Companion games. =) I believe this means we've now covered every level officially released for DOS Lemmings, unless Xmas 91 or 92 had any unique levels?

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention (thanks DynaLem =) ) that they do... I'll get onto a player for them at some point. I'll probably combine both into one player though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmix Player Collection (including H94, Covox and Prima)
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
I added Xmas 91 and Xmas 92 to the collection. Note that there's just a single player "LemmixPlayerXmas" for both of them, which has two ranks (one for each version). The ONML levels from Xmas 91 are also in there, simply because it was easier to leave them than remove them. (Should also be noted - technically, the player uses a custom MAIN.DAT instead of the one from either X91 or X92 (which are actually identical anyway), though the only thing I changed was the rank signs.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmix Player Collection (including H94, Covox, Prima and "Extra")
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:13 AM »
Added an "Extra" player, which contains a lot of the levels that weren't in the DOS version. Most but not all are from the Genesis version. It contains a total of 126 levels, see first post for detailed info. In short, the sources are (all are from versions of Orig, except for one Amiga level that comes from H93/H94):

Genesis version: 105 levels
Master System version: 12 levels
Amiga version: 1 level (H93/H94, not orig)
Amiga special editions: 6 levels
Mac version: 2 levels (1 from the demo, 1 from the normal game)

I added it to the bundle download, but since a lot of you probably already have all the other players that are in it, here's a link for this one by itself:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c7iqctlk3qhqc27/LemmixPlayerExtra.zip

There's no NeoLemmix version of it yet; there will be with the V1.09n release. Since from V1.09n NeoLemmix is switching to use the (standard) Amiga versions as the level source rather than the DOS versions where applicable, the H93/H94 level in here from Amiga will obviously be replaced with the equivalent from DOS.

NOTE: Although it works, using LookForLVLFiles with this player is probably not the easiest thing to do. The Genesis levels have a hardcoded switch to change their graphic set number (so they use the Genesis ones rather than the DOS ones), not all styles are present (only the ones that are needed for included levels), and there's also one other level that has something hardcoded. I won't say what exactly, but I'm sure it'll be an appreciated detail by those who've played the level in question in its original form. I'd reccomend just use one of the other players for that; up to you though. :P

EDIT: If you're getting crashes saying "cannot find vgaspec511.dat" on the 6th and 12th levels in the Sega Master System levels, redownload it, I fixed it. :) I just forgot to turn off a NeoLemmix flag that NeoLemEdit enables by default - this is exactly the thing that the latest CustLemmix update protects against crashes from. xD
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 06:54:31 AM »
So, on this subject, I myself am playing the Genesis levels pretty much for the first time (I've had brief looks and goes at a few of them before, but haven't really properly played through). These are some VERY good levels. o_O I'm currently stuck on the infamous Fall And No Life... xD

EDIT: And as soon as I'd posted this I worked it out. That was BRILLIANT! :O

I'm on Lemmings' Ark now. I've only *just* started trying it so too soon to say too much, but it's already clearly a far better Mayhem 30 than Rendezvous At The Mountain. :P

Beat it. That. WAS. EXCELLENT!!!! And that concludes the Fun-to-Mayhem Genesis levels. Now, Present and Sunsoft...
(Okay, first level of Present, I was like "wtf, aren't these two ranks meant to be really hard?" ... second level wasn't too hard, but definitely a HUGE step up from the first. xD)

Okay, seems Present is just all over the place... I think my old Cheapo packs were more consistent in difficulty than Present is so far; anyone who played them will know how much that's saying... :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »
So, on this subject, I myself am playing the Genesis levels pretty much for the first time (I've had brief looks and goes at a few of them before, but haven't really properly played through). These are some VERY good levels. o_O
They are, and what I like the most about that version is that's almost like a level-pack, since it has so many unique levels that don't appear elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
So, on this subject, I myself am playing the Genesis levels pretty much for the first time (I've had brief looks and goes at a few of them before, but haven't really properly played through). These are some VERY good levels. o_O
They are, and what I like the most about that version is that's almost like a level-pack, since it has so many unique levels that don't appear elsewhere. :thumbsup:

To tell the truth I'm finding Present to be quite disappointing. The main rank levels were good though, and I haven't started Sunsoft yet. I do really like the concept of Present 29, but the execution is nothing short of annoying. (Though I believe this is partly due to the mechanics of diggers under DOS; most versions implement them in the same way NeoLemmix does so it shouldn't be as much of a problem there.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
Okay, so I'm about a third of the way through Sunsoft. It's still nothing like what I'd expected based on what I heard about it, but it's still at least pretty good. Definitely a huge improvement over Present. :D And it's getting harder at quite a rapid pace, too.

... just played "No World Without You"; is it just me or was the original versino of this level harder than this repeat? o_O (Of course, I used a similar solution for this one, so that might be why - I'd already worked out the key trick to it. Which is a pretty clever trick, I must say.)
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52:05 AM »
... just played "No World Without You"; is it just me or was the original version of this level harder than this repeat? o_O (Of course, I used a similar solution for this one, so that might be why - I'd already worked out the key trick to it. Which is a pretty clever trick, I must say.)

That's what I said back in the Level Review topic  8)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 02:28:05 AM »
Okay, so I'm about a third of the way through Sunsoft. It's still nothing like what I'd expected based on what I heard about it, but it's still at least pretty good. Definitely a huge improvement over Present. :D

I think it's more a relative thing.  People were probably comparing the regular ratings in PC Lemmings on average against the levels in the new Genesis ratings.  There are definitely some duds in the new ratings alongside some gems.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 02:37:21 AM »
Completed all of them now. I Am AT was f***ing annoying... It's like Danger 9 (LPDOS) on steroids. o_O Fall And No Life Part 2 was also, i reckon, a bit easier than part 1; but it was still an AWESOME level.

Some of my solutions are almost certianly backroutes, but oh well. :P Anyway, I attached my replays in case anyone wants to see how I solved them.

By the way - Other 8 ("Don't make the wrong choice"), the exit is one pixel off the ground. Is this actually how it is in the Budget Amiga version, or was that a glitch in the ripping of the level? o_O

(By the way - this is replays for everything in this player, not just the Genesis ones.)

I'd have to say my favorites out of the Genesis levels would be "Fall And No Life" (part 1) and "Lemming's Ark". Both of these levels had me stumped for quite a while, and I thought the solutions were pure genius when I worked them out!
My Lemmings projects