Author Topic: Antichamber  (Read 4234 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Antichamber
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
Does anybody else have this game? It looked really awesome so I got it... and it won't run. I got it through Steam and when I press play nothing happens. I tried numerous things they recommended on the steam website, (but not all of them yet) few other people seemed to have this exact problem.

any ideas?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Antichamber
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:26 AM »
I imagine you asked the question on other, more populous forums as well?  Your chances of someone else here having the same game is not that high on this tiny community. ;P 

If the game developers/publishers have a support forum on Steam, that would be my first place to go to, but I'm guessing you already tried that?

Out of curiosity, can you complain and get a refund from Steam for cases like this?  Not that I suggest you to give up so soon, but I'm just curious how Steam works.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »
yeah you could get a refund, but I probably won't have to. The game designer himself is helping me.  :D Just one person made this game, (which is impressive given what it looks like so far).
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:55 PM »
I got it working and I have to say; this is a really well designed and fun game. I recommend it; if you like 3D puzzles, think out of box type puzzles especially.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
Since I couldn't get Revolution to work right, I'm debating attempting to blind stream this game for s***s and giggles, mainly because the type of puzzle solving in it is really my sort of thing.

Thoughts?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
I'd watch :thumbsup: You mean stream it live or youtube vids? I would record the whole thing either way.

the whole game (not including optional parts) can actually be beaten in a very short time however, going through it first time will likely take awhile.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
Since I couldn't get Revolution to work right

Even after trying GuyPerfect's patch (latest version here...I think)?  Or is it some other kind of issue?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:23:24 AM »
Since I couldn't get Revolution to work right

Even after trying GuyPerfect's patch (latest version here...I think)?  Or is it some other kind of issue?

the issue is Revolution can't be recorded easily; for no doubt, similar reasons that it's difficult to hack as Guy discovered; put simply the game is badly coded.
Recording it with any normal means yields bizarre video. It flickers; the frames skip. I tried a few different programs myself including Cam studio and Debut. Debut was similar to this, it can't capture it fluidly at all. Cam studio was even worse; the whole video was colored wrong and misplaced on the screen, cropping half of it.

I don't know what ISteve used but I'm sure the issue IS Revolution NOT the recording software.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
Oh okay, I thought ISteve couldn't get the game to run at all, I didn't realize we're talking about recording the game.

I thought we already went through the question of recording Lemmings Revolution a few months earlier?  Pooty eventually found a program (Bandicam) that seems to work.  I tried the trial version of Bandicam and confirmed what Pooty reported, that it doesn't have the issues encountered with CamStudio for example.  I could've swore ISteve even made a comment on that thread mulling about buying the paid version of Bandicam.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
It runs, but I can't get it to record right.

Also Antichamber was on sale for $4.99 yesterday (and today too, I think). I couldn't not get it after that. We're doing this man, we're making it happen
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Games like this I don't mind paying a hefty amount, personally, it was designed almost entirely by 1 guy. and he deserves it.

After this, you should definitely try the RHEM series. It's puzzles to the max.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »

In the event you do, make sure to get the digital download version from Amazon, and not the overpriced CD version from other places.  We're talking about something like $4.99 vs $19.99 IIRC.  And also download a patch for RHEM1 otherwise the game will crash at a certain point about 1/3 of the way.  Mobius can help you out with all that since I got all that from him.

Gameplay is very much like the Myst series (ie. hunt for clues to solve puzzles to unlock more clues to solve more puzzles) , though perhaps not as much work put into ambience or creativity of puzzle designs as that series, but still decent enough puzzle-wise. [edit: to be fair I'm only a little over 1/3 of the way on RHEM1 at the moment, so my impressions may not carry over to the remainder of the game or the later games in the series]

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 03:51:52 AM »

In the event you do, make sure to get the digital download version from Amazon, and not the overpriced CD version from other places.  We're talking about something like $4.99 vs $19.99 IIRC.  And also download a patch for RHEM1 otherwise the game will crash at a certain point about 1/3 of the way.  Mobius can help you out with all that since I got all that from him.

Gameplay is very much like the Myst series (ie. hunt for clues to solve puzzles to unlock more clues to solve more puzzles) , though perhaps not as much work put into ambience or creativity of puzzle designs as that series, but still decent enough puzzle-wise. [edit: to be fair I'm only a little over 1/3 of the way on RHEM1 at the moment, so my impressions may not carry over to the remainder of the game or the later games in the series]

yeah, RHEM 1 has it's flaws, imo the biggest is all the walking back and forth. This improves in the next game. As well as the graphics and sounds are much better in 2. The puzzles are also more creative and way harder (as well as there are more of them). The voice acting isn't any better however, but that makes it amusing imo  :D
Personally, even though I think the atmosphere of 2 is really nice and better (it's underground and much darker than 1) I still really liked 1 maybe just because it reminds me more of Myst so it's nostalgic. I think 3 and 4 are also out-doors. So far, 2 has had more "memorable" sections than 1. 1 sort of has the same style all through-out where 2 has some real unique parts.

http://www.rhem-game.com/support/patch.htm - patch for RHEM 1
Knut Mueller, the creator is supposedly very good with customer support. Once when somebody purchased a CD that didn't work for some reason he personally sent them a new CD.
Also a full walkthrough has been made on youtube, in case you get stuck.

-I like how I started this topic to ask for help getting Antichamber to work and it turned into this  :D

-Hakuin Ekaku