Author Topic: Share your hotkey settings!  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Share your hotkey settings!
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
This is a topic where people can share their hotkey settings for Lix multiplayer, in the hope that it will be useful to newcomers looking for ideas for their own settings.

I use a 7-by-2 layout based on the original order of the Lemmings skills:

Z - climber A - floater
X - bomber S - runner
C - blocker D - cuber
V - builder F - platformer
B - basher G - batter
N - miner H - digger
M - walker J - jumper
< - left select > - right select

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Share your hotkey settings!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
I use a 7-by-2 layout based on the original order of the Lemmings skills:

I think that's the best way to go for newcomers who haven't played Lemmings at all. Good find! :thumbsup:

As for me, I still prefer my functional keys for the familiar skills found in Lemmings (Including F1 and F2 for release rate, etc.) but otherwise I'd rather click on the skill than to press keys. Still, that's just my personal preference.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Here's my setup that gradually evolved from the Lemmings defaults. All skills are on the left hand (as well as directional force), and related skills are close together (eg. F/C/V for digging skills). I've recently moved blocker from 6 to B, not sure if I'll keep this.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:57:26 AM »
Everything goes on the non-mouse hand, and everything must be hittable without thinking.

1 through 5 is spawn interval and speed adjust.

Layout from 2012-2015. Qwerty-A and -S is directional select, Space is pause. The idea of A/S for directional select instead of S/F is to remove collision of two tasks for the index finger (select skill and hold directional select) because the index finger can reach 6 keys.

Qwerty-D and -F are builder and walker, other skills are scattered among the remaining left-hand letters and LShift based on perceived importance. Skills that are often directionally forced are on different fingers than directional select.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:43:51 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:16:26 PM »
I'm trying out a new layout:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:27:58 PM »
Yep, give it a go!

Gut reactions:
  • D and F are the best keys, the home position of the strongest fingers. Blocker and platformer seem too uncommon for these. Switch builder with platformer?
  • Basher might enjoy an easier key than T, because T can be hard to hit with the short index finger.
  • Floater may be slightly too uncommon for the easy-to-hit A, but not by much.
  • Will you often use directional select? Maybe directional select is best on different fingers than the most important dir-forced skills. But that's tricky in practice, I took this idea to the extreme for my layout, and I wouldn't recommend mine.
  • 3 and 4 for dir select: Maybe 2 and 3 are better, because they're easier to reach?

The best judgement comes from trying this in play, and seeing how it feels.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:38:47 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 02:59:14 AM »
Layout from 2015-2018? I want to avoid same-finger combinations of directional select and important skills. Mapping both directional selects on the same finger seems even better for this idea, and I still use this, but it feels strange. In rare cases, I have to think about the exact mappings during play, which is slow.

This is not the default. The default has directional select on Qwerty S and F, because these feel like arrow keys.

2 and 3 are easily reachable on my keyboard, because the key rows aren't staggered. Maybe 3 and 4 are easier for you, then you can shift everything by one key.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:42:54 PM by Simon »

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Lix hotkeys during multiplayer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Edit Simon: Raymanni's post here was later moved into Proxima's topic about multiplayer hotkey settings.

Out of curiosity, what kind of hotkey-setup do people use when playing lix multiplayer, or do you use them at all? I'm only using hotkeys for walker, jumper and basher (mainly because of race maps). Having to flail my mouse around to select skills prevents fast reactions and usually leads to failure during a very hectic match. :lix-trouble:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:04:52 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix hotkeys during multiplayer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
Previous topic. I still use the same layout as my second post further down that topic.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
Gah, of course there was a topic for this already. Thanks for linking. :lix-smile:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
From that thread, I still use my 2015-2018 layout. Don't copy blindly, putting both directional selects on the same finger still feels unnatural. Examine the principles behind the different designs and find the correct tradeoff for yourself!

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »
I merged the old topic with the new one, and here's also my current hotkey layout.

I have the right hand on the keyboard, so imagine everything mirrored if you have the left hand on the keyboard.

I don't think I ever use the "skip 10 seconds ahead" as I use FFF instead, and I have a tendency to mishit the "go 1 sec/frame back" key (and the save/load/restart keys), but these are not critical in multiplayer.
If I wanted to fully optimize for multiplayer, I could swap FF for one of the harder to reach skills, but I don't think it's worth the added annoyance in singleplayer as FF is much more essential there than any of the lesser used skills.