Author Topic: Floobz for iPhone - inspired by Lemmings!  (Read 5623 times)

Offline kinorouk

• View Profile
Floobz for iPhone - inspired by Lemmings!
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am the creator of Floobz for iPhone and would absolutely love the feeback of the Lemmings community as the game is hugely inspired by Lemmings. As a Lemmings fan myself I have tried to create a game that takes me back to my childhood when I spent many many hours addicted to the little fellas. For the first lucky few I have provided some promo codes for the full version of Floobz, but there is also a lite version if you wish to sample the game.

I have attached some screenshots of the game - take a look and see what you think.

I would really welcome any thoughts and oppinions you may have and hope you enjoy the game as much as I enjoyed making it!

Thank you all and here are the promo codes:
397KJ4ME4WJL
MMFJ9FHRL3YJ
RRWWN3LTMWYL
7MM3H69W4FN9
6XXTWAEALHTH
36FMX44YMYYT
JKFFALJRH6A9
4LJFT46N37TK
YT7X6KA6P4PX
FWK4YMJ3JMWT

Kind regards,
Russ

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Floobz for iPhone - inspired by Lemmings!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
Any plans for an Android version?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kinorouk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
Hi namida,

Thank you for your query. We did consider an Android version at one point, but we felt there wasn't sufficient interest to warrant the time needed to produce it. However, should more interest be generated in the future then this is something we would definately have to consider.

Sorry if this means that you are unable to play Floobz for the time being - maybe you could convince a friend or relative to lend you an Apple device? :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:55:59 AM »
Personally, I can't stand Apple devices. =P You'd probably find more potential customers that way too, since Android has a far larger share of the market, especially if your app doesn't require too powerful a device.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kinorouk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:10 AM »
I definitely take your point - I myself have a Sony Xperia! Floobz doesn't require a particularly powerful device, though that is not the issue really. I have a couple of colleagues who have shown some interest in porting to Android, so I will have a catch up with them this week.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
I was more saying that because of the point that yes, there's a lot of Android devices out there, but a lot of them are quite lacking in terms of power - therefore, unlike with iOS, it's possible that a device (even a new one) may not be powerful enough to run a certain app. However, unless the power requirements limit you to the top-of-the-line devices, this should still be a much larger market than iOS.

(Then there's Windows Phone and Blackberry, but then, not that many people have either of those, especially the latter.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that apps on Apple's App Store are still (on average) making more money for developers compared with Google Play.  Of course that can mean a lot of things (eg. maybe more crappy apps on Google Play dragging down the average, or that the rich people who buy Apple more likely go for pay apps :P, etc.), but still, for better or worse, for the near term the iOS platform probably remains the most enticing target--and thus their priority #1--for app developers.

Android's far wider variety of devices can also make app development more tricky in general, as it'd be much harder to ensure the same app works correctly or works well across everything.  Even if we only consider top-selling Android devices I think the variety is still greater than Apple's offerings.

=====

I am slightly curious though about this "sufficient interest" thing--are there really that much more Apple users than Android users that are interested in a Lemmings-like game? :o

Offline kinorouk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »
Thanks for joining the conversation ccexplore.

The first part of your post probably sums things up nicely with regards to why Apple devices were targetted for Floobz. I guess the only way I will really know if there are more fans of Lemmings-style games on Android is if I go ahead and port the game.

My biggest concern is the time it would take to port to Android (around 3 months). At the moment I feel this time would be better spent on my next game as well as supporting Floobz on iPhone.

It's not a lost cause - I can definately see the potential benefits of an Android version, I just can't justify the time at the moment. Although yours and namida's comments adds to a growing list of supporters of an Android version, so who knows :)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
I'm afraid I'll have to join the existing chorus, here, as I'm in the ~80% of that market-space that uses Android.

Apple devices don't play nice with the OS I use (I'm a Linux user), and since as far as I know they can't stand alone like Android devices can (or at least couldn't the last time I checked, requiring particular OSes and software to "sync" with), I don't and can't use them - they just aren't an option. :P

Last I checked, there was definitely a gap in the market for Lemmings-style games on Android; Sony, who currently holds the rights to the Lemmings series, have a conflict-of-interest going on because they also offer a dedicated handheld games console for which there is a new Lemmings title in the works, and have restricted their official Android Lemmings offering to a small selection of particular hardware. There are a few clones, but I haven't found any that have grabbed my attention, yet.

Hopefully one day, Floobz might be the one I'm looking for! Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

Offline kinorouk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks Prob Lem,

My sixth sense is telling me that an Android port might be useful after all. This forum has certainly made me think about it alot more.