Poll

How many items should be displayed on recently updated topics?

10 (current setting)
2 (40%)
1 (20%)
1 (20%)
0 (0%)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Recent posts > Recently updated topics?  (Read 12620 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Recent posts > Recently updated topics?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 01:56:25 AM »
Personally I think it's fine as is, but I have no problem changing it if that's what most people want. Poll added.

(Perhaps I should look into whether that can be made into a user setting rather than a global setting...)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:27 PM »
Sorry for pointless bumping, but having just looked at the IRC log now and saw a whole bunch of Giga+namida alternating replies on one of the GigaLem topics, I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad we have the Recent posts > Recently Updated Topics mod now. :8():

If I have time, I'll try and see whether there may be an existing mod that can make a user setting out of the global setting that currently controls the length of the recent X list on the home page.  The poll so far showed that no overwhelming majority for any of the proposed options.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
Although I haven't looked into it, I doubt it'll be too hard to manually add such an option if need be.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 12:09:54 AM »
Meanwhile, increase the default setting. :>

There's a good argument for having at least 20 -- topics 5 or 6 days old are still on it. There is no argument besides "I like it how it's always been" for having less.

Those who rely on the list heavily are hurt by the short list. Those who don't need it are much less hurt by a long list.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:28:26 AM by Simon »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 01:12:33 AM »
Even better-er: link to the first unread post instead of the latest post :)
The only problem with this is that if you're not logged in (which I'm usually not; I only log in when there's something I want to reply to) then the link takes me to the first post of the topic. Can we make it go to the last post in this case?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
The only problem with this is that if you're not logged in (which I'm usually not; I only log in when there's something I want to reply to) then the link takes me to the first post of the topic. Can we make it go to the last post in this case?

That's odd.  I actually do more or less the same but the links have been taking me to last post of topic when not logged in.  And since you're not logged on there are no user-specific settings to speak of either, so I'm not sure why this is happening for you? ???

Out of curiosity what OS and browser (and version if you are able to find out) are you using?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
I've changed it to 20 for now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
if you're not logged in [...] then the link takes me to the first post of the topic. Can we make it go to the last post in this case?
same but the links have been taking me to last post of topic when not logged in.
Out of curiosity what OS and browser (and version if you are able to find out) are you using?

Logged in, it takes me to last-unread.

Logged out, it takes me to the newest one, not the oldest one. Debian 6, both in stone-age Firefox 3.5 and in two-year-old Chrome.

I list posts with oldest first, newest last. I haven't tested changing that.

I've changed it to 20 for now.

Thanks!

-- Simon