Author Topic: Time limits level pack  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Time limits level pack
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
Today I've created a brand new level pack and uploaded it onto the database. I haven't done a pack of fresh new levels onto there since April 2008, but anyway; In this level pack we have 10 levels with short time limits. In all 10 of these levels the time limit has the intention of removing obvious solutions. While it's probably a lot easier to do this sort of thing on Lix (Because you can modify the number of seconds too), I thought that creating a Lemmings level pack would be a good idea. Here's the link.

This level pack's particular purpose is to counteract the argument on why we should abandon time limits. I hope you enjoy these levels, and my nice little quote to go along with it: "If you take too long you're doing it wrong!"
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Re: Time limits level pack
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
I'm gonna try these. The exits are probably portals and the time limit shows how long that portal stays open.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »
Where's new custom levels, there's me giving them a go!

Doesn't it make sense to put this kind of post to Lemmix Level Pack Topic, or do you like to make own topics for your levelpacks? :P I myself have started only one single topic so far, because I perhaps find it somehow a bit messy to have lots of different topics if there's a suitable place for posting. Maybe it's just me, I don't know how people generally think, Lemmings Forums are the only forums I participate.

A nice theme, though I don't see more obvious solutions for levels 4, 7, 9 and 10, which would take more time.
What's characteristic to your levels (not just in this pack), minimac, is that a player often sees immediately right from the start, how he/she could approach for the solution. That's not a bad thing. :P However for example, Towards the pit, was a level where I needed to think more to get a working solution. I used here some tricks. Not too hard... resembled me a little of one Holiday level of yours, I can't remember its name, but the layout was similar. I liked the red herring in Digging the pillar away. I guess Black Web was here for the design idea, my solution for it was pretty straightforward.

I really see Simon's and others' point in that Time limits topic. However, for me, who has played Lemmings since I was a little kid, time limits has always been an essential part of Lemmings. Yeah, it's definitely frustrating when player fails because of releasing the crowd too late, for example. But if time limits would be taken out now, I'd feel that something natural of the spirit of Lemmings would be missing. I don't mind at all if there's plenty of time for a level, but on the other hand, it doesn't bother me if the time limit is tight, even though it wouldn't cut out backroutes. So I think I'm lenient in this case (like in many other things related to Lemmings), and time limits don't annoy me. I feel that those just belong to Lemmings, and maybe I even get an extra joy when I save enough Lemmings just in time. :P But like I said, imo it's absolutely reasonable if someone dislikes time limits. :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
Where's new custom levels, there's me giving them a go!

Doesn't it make sense to put this kind of post to Lemmix Level Pack Topic, or do you like to make own topics for your levelpacks? :P

Whoops! It was just on that rare occasion that I forgot all about the Lemmix Level Pack topic. I can do that if you like me to.

Not too hard... resembled me a little of one Holiday level of yours, I can't remember its name, but the layout was similar.

I know which level you're talking about. It was called Heaven up high. The difference with this one compared to that one is that there are more builders and fewer gaps, but less time.

A nice theme, though I don't see more obvious solutions for levels 4, 7, 9 and 10, which would take more time.

4 and 10 involve outside routes that are fairly obvious. Level 7 initially involves a climber mining and bashing under a trap before building back up. I have to agree with you that 9 is quite poorly designed, and may need revision.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:17 PM »
I finished the pack. Torwards the pit was the hardest one, not because of the time limit, but trying to find the right solution. Time limits are fine and people shouldn't be afraid to make levels like these. Also, the time limit can be used to see how fast you can beat a level.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
I've played though this yesterday, and I quite like the general idea. It's especially well realized in the level 'A simple building level' where you really have to multitask to get everything done in time.
On the other hand there are also a few levels where I don't really see how the time limit requires to come up with a different solution that the first one you think of, like Akseli mentioned, and then they are kinda of pointless as the only force you to rush your solution and make you restart if you release the crowd too late.

In 'Shippy structure', the time limit is very lenient, I solved it with over a minute to spare, and there's a completely different alternative solution. I also solved 'Not too hard' with a minute to spare, but that's a different story. :P

I honestly don't mind having a new topic for this, I feel the Lemmix level pack topic exists mostly out of tradition. For complete packs that spark some discussion putting them in the Lemmix level pack topic might become messy (especially if there are multiple packs released at the same time, though nowadays that rarely happens). I think the Lemmix level pack topic is good though if you just have a single to two levels and want people's opinion on it.
I mean, if everyone just used the Lemmix and Lemmini level pack topics, then this subforum would have like 3 threads in total. :P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
All of these levels look really good. I have replays for the first three. Enjoy the ride might be a backroute(s). I like these levels because they are interesting, and not difficult to execute or demanding despite the tight time limits. They are well designed too.
The first, One way Block is pretty much exactly the level I wanted to make months ago but failed it for some reason and ended up making Lemmings in Motion.

Have you ever considered making a large game pack for Lemmini, minimac? You certainly have enough levels for it.  :o
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
I did have a selection of Lemmini levels at one point. If you check out my 2008 levels those were the ones that were originally built for Lemmini use, and modified for DOS purposes.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »
I have to check this out when I get the chance.  I do like time crunch levels!

Personally I think there is a time and a place for time limits, and there are many levels where it works brilliantly.  The Fast Food Kitchen has to be my favourite example (not the PC version with 3 minutes, but the original Amiga version with only 2 minutes)... it forces multitasking and gives a sense of urgency, as well as a bit of a "there's no way I can do that level in just 2 minutes!" feeling.

If a solution to a level is difficult or just takes a long time to execute (e.g. the mass-building levels), then the added time limit is probably unfair unless you can justifiably prove that you can't really go any slower without making a mistake elsewhere.  To list one of my levels as an example, "Faithful Friends" finishes the level with less than 10 seconds on the clock normally, but there's no way for the main pathfinder to get stuck in a repeating loop before you have to assign him the correct tasks... if he does fall into the small pit to the right of the exit, you've failed because there's no effective way out of there.

In a different situation, "Build it up with iron and steel" forces you to use a miner and builder to turn the pathfinder around prematurely, otherwise he climbs a wall and will take far too long to get to his destination.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »
First of all , hello to everyone! (first post)

I have tried the pack and until now I have completed the first five levels! I have attached my solutions for them ( the replays are viewable on the "dos original lemmings" style ) . My favorite level from the pack until now is the first level (one way block)!

The following days , I will try the remaining levels of the pack .
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q