Author Topic: [Lemmini/Lemmix] Revenge of the Lemmings!  (Read 64624 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings!
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
I was thinking about the last one for an hour, then I saw the post: "even more ridicoulos".  Even with this hint, getting that trick done was not the easiest thing!
 Now I got them finally all done and again thanks for this amazing pack!
 Maybe sometime I try to upload my solutions on youtube, when I have the time to get myself into a recording software.
 Hope to see more in the future and there is still Mobilems to beat (Heinious and bonus to go), but I think there is a bug in the bonus rating where you have to save 114% in a level and as I heard it is still in beta so I hope this will be fixed.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »
I was thinking about the last one for an hour, then I saw the post: "even more ridicoulos".  Even with this hint, getting that trick done was not the easiest thing!
 Now I got them finally all done and again thanks for this amazing pack!
 Maybe sometime I try to upload my solutions on youtube, when I have the time to get myself into a recording software.
 Hope to see more in the future and there is still Mobilems to beat (Heinious and bonus to go), but I think there is a bug in the bonus rating where you have to save 114% in a level and as I heard it is still in beta so I hope this will be fixed.

I'm pretty sure I fixed the problems in the bonus rating in my latest update. But in case; which level is 114%?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »
Lemming's Cry, Heaven's smile    112%

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
Lemming's Cry, Heaven's smile    112%

ok thanks. I actually removed that level from the pack [it was just a level from ONML altered slightly anyway]
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
Ok I'm doing it. I just got myself into a recording sofware today and I will make (actually I am making) a walkthrough of the pack with my solutions on my youtube channel.
First time making videos, but I hope this will turn out alright. Hope I backrouted just a few!
I will link the pack and lemmini of course! :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
Here's the link to IchoTolot's playlist.

Looking forward to seeing how you solved my levels  :P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
Ok I'm doing it. I just got myself into a recording sofware today and I will make (actually I am making) a walkthrough of the pack with my solutions on my youtube channel.
First time making videos, but I hope this will turn out alright. Hope I backrouted just a few!
I will link the pack and lemmini of course! :)

:thumbsup:

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline t3tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
Hi there,
I'm curently playing this amazing pack.
I found some backroutes for some levels. I have uploaded videos on youtube if you don't use lemmini replays.

Frenzy 18 - Patience, Young Grasshopper
As möbius said, this level has multiple solutions
This one is a simple and straight way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7VDmr5UV8

Frenzy 27 - Nemesis
The right part of the level is useless...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNfr0MmXsc

Carnage 18 - Oil Refinery
My solution looks too simple for carnage rating and save a digger...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOHVMY3JnwI

Carnage 19 - Changing of the Guards
My solution looks dirty : digging in the water :/
Maybe the intended solution was attached by Akseli here http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=869.msg18231#msg18231
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96aYb_X7BxA

Carnage 25 - Dead's Head
100% is possible. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7R5NudBcjY

For Carnage 22 - The French Connection, I dont know if I have the intended solution...
Working near the traps is messy, I don't like my solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwd7fKp2nvE

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
Ooo, crumbs.  Yeah, some backroutes I need to patch there!  Nice finds.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »
Okay, I've patched backroutes in the following levels:

- The Final Countdown
- Nemesis
- Oil Refinery

And Pieuw, I took your comment regarding "Build it up with iron and steel" to heart.  The original version as played in CustLemm isn't so nightmarish because you can stretch bridges a lot more, but in Lemmini it becomes very difficult.  As a result, I have narrowed the chasm slightly so the difficulty of execution is a lot fairer.  Hopefully that means all my levels are now neutral or above in your feedback form!  I've sent möbius a ZIP file with the changes.

Crystal Caves isn't really a skill level as such, more of an "adventure level" as Proxima put it.  It was meant to give an air of "classic Mayhem" with the 9 minute time limit, limited skills and the fact it gives you 20 bombers despite it requiring 100% to pass!

The original Blast Furnace as included in this pack is very backroutable, but it does have a charm about it (and it's a level I'm fond of because I first designed it on paper back in 1994 when I was only 8!).  My solution to patching them was to make a "Blast Furnace (Part Two)" that meant you had to really take a roundabout route, but that level didn't make it into the pack.

P.S. My absolute favourite level in Revenge of the Lemmings is Armageddon 29: "Duality".  I think the solution is absolutely beautiful and is actually the reason behind my choice of music for the level (p7).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
thanks for those replays! That's a pretyt nasty backroute to The French Connection, that I would've thought those traps prevented... I'll be filling that hole up with steel then].

Anyway, I will probably be removing that level altogether since I have my own pack now I'll be removing all of my levels.

Also; changing of the guards, I need to contect Proxima, but apart from that; since we now have steel for the bubble tileset, we can at least fix the problem of fake steel in the level and that might help with this backroute

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2014, 01:08:32 AM »
From IchoTol0t's playlist... I sense this might be a backroute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dfBD-BZiNM&index=90&list=PLKR1N9oJTTlJc4yCh5nRL0pxylTVeAUBm

Quote from: Spoiler
My solution involves both climbers being on the same side and the blocker and bomber being applied to a single lemming on the other side.  I can't be sure if my solution is intended or not, but it looks plausible considering it breaks the level's symmetry, which I assumed was designed to throw players off, especially as it's the last level of Frenzy.

That is, for one side, a climber exits the pit and builds across the first gap, but is forced to turn around, at which point he eventually finds his way to a flamethrower.  The second climber then builds across the second gap to the exit, then the horde can build themselves out of the pit.  For the other side, lemmings immediately start building out of the pit, and a blocker is placed on top of the steel plate while letting one lemming pass.  This lemming then builds across the two gaps to the exit, and then the blocker is bombed.

Fernito, if the solution in the video above is indeed a backroute, then a fix would be changing the left wall of the pits into steel plates, so a bomber can't blow a hole in the wall.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »
-announcement-

I'll be making some major updates to the pack. Most notably:

-this update will be more of an 'alternate version' than an update; mostly because of the following:
-It will be compatible with superLemmini. As such I'll be including levels that were voted in but can't work under old Lemmini mechanics.
-A Bunch of levels will be moved around for difficulty placement and some levels removed and replaced.

What I need now is some feedback;
-it's been suggested that we might add one more difficulty rating before all others, to make a more suitable Fun rating for beginners. The only down side is it would mean adding quite a bit more levels to an already huge level pack.

-How many people are in favor of the bonus rating? I like quite a few of the levels in there but I also feel like a lot of people really don't care for it and it. Some levels will be moving to the normal ratings and a lot won't work in SuperLemmini. What I might do is simply condense it into a much smaller rating.

-If anyone is OK with have a level of your's duplicated and/or altered to be a fun level [10/20 of each skill] could you post and say so. I won't do this unless the author allows it.

From IchoTol0t's playlist... I sense this might be a backroute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dfBD-BZiNM&index=90&list=PLKR1N9oJTTlJc4yCh5nRL0pxylTVeAUBm

Quote from: Spoiler
My solution involves both climbers being on the same side and the blocker and bomber being applied to a single lemming on the other side.  I can't be sure if my solution is intended or not, but it looks plausible considering it breaks the level's symmetry, which I assumed was designed to throw players off, especially as it's the last level of Frenzy.

That is, for one side, a climber exits the pit and builds across the first gap, but is forced to turn around, at which point he eventually finds his way to a flamethrower.  The second climber then builds across the second gap to the exit, then the horde can build themselves out of the pit.  For the other side, lemmings immediately start building out of the pit, and a blocker is placed on top of the steel plate while letting one lemming pass.  This lemming then builds across the two gaps to the exit, and then the blocker is bombed.

Fernito, if the solution in the video above is indeed a backroute, then a fix would be changing the left wall of the pits into steel plates, so a bomber can't blow a hole in the wall.

I don't know the intended solution to that level, I don't think Fernito ever got back to me; he might have but I mix him up with "Fleech" who has posted in this topic.

as it is I vote to leave it as is; we have plenty of difficult levels with exacting solutions and could use easier ones anyway. It's worth noting that this level originally had just 1:00. I had to change that because Lemmini's clock works differently and 1:00 was not possible [else extremely hard and annoying]

Now, SuperLemmini's clock may allow for the original 1:00 but I'm not sure that would even change the backroute status anyway, would it?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »
I'd appreciate the idea of a bonus rating before others, because the learning curve does get quite steep during the first rating. There's no limit to the number of levels you can have. ;) As an example maybe you could just make simple versions of levels from each author.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »
If you remove and change a lot of levels and maybe even add/remove difficulty ratings than how about making two seperate versions: one original link with bonus rating and the original stuff (Lemmini only version!) and one link with the extra beginner rating, removed bonus rating and all the stuff you want to change (Superlemini/Lemmini version)?  Personally I think removing some of the Lemmini mechanics specific ones would be a loss for the pack (some of them were quite awesome!).