Author Topic: [Lemmini/Lemmix] Revenge of the Lemmings!  (Read 64631 times)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »
The Lemmini link appears to be broken. :'(

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »
The Lemmini link appears to be broken. :'(

thank you! -FIXED-
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 01:25:06 AM »
Just started playing the Lemmix version.

So far, this is a really great pack -- a nice difficulty curve, and several levels that are easy to pass are interesting to solve for max %.

All the spaces are missing from level names  :'(

I've reached Picnic 14, Crunch Time, and... either something's wrong with the level or I'm missing a trick. You have to save 90% of 50 lemmings, but only 25 lemmings come out!

The exits on a few levels are non-functional: so far, Picnic 15, 21 and 23.

Skills stop working much closer to steel than I would like -- this makes some levels, like More Wee Creatures, extremely frustrating. (Either that, or steel areas don't seem to match very closely to visible steel terrain -- the latter seems to be the case on Picnic 30.)

EDIT: Removed % saved records. I've saved the ones I have so far to a text file, and I'll put them back here if I finish the pack.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »
The spaces missing in level names is due to the way my Lemmings libraries handle INI files. Lemmini level names aside, there's no need for it to recognize spaces, so I never actually coded it to do so. :/ Anyway, the Lemmix player is still a beta version at this point. Apart from while I'm away this week, I'm always ready to do what needs to be done on my side, but it's primarily Mobius's project so it's up to him if and when he wants to fix the levels, titles etc - I'm just the guy compiling the Lemmix player. =)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:28 AM »
thanks for reporting. It helps because I really don't have the time or inclination to go through every single level myself.

until I look at it, can't image what's wrong with Crunch Time  ??? could be too many objects, I'll look into it.

the steel issues on levels like More Wee Creatures is nothing on my end cause that was Clam's level design for Lemmix. [if I had to guess I'd say you're going about the level wrong  :P I ran into this issue with this level too until I found a much easier solution]

don't know how to fix the names at all, myself. Oh and I just realized, I didn't put any README file into the Lemmix version did I?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 02:27:48 AM »
I notice the same thing with Crunch Time. One of the entrances probably ended up outside the level boundaries somehow.

I might try and write another program to fix up the names... it is a bit of a pain to do manually...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
[if I had to guess I'd say you're going about the level wrong  :P I ran into this issue with this level too until I found a much easier solution]

Well, of course I was going for 96% and not just the minimum  :P

Finished playing Picnic now, apart from a few levels that aren't working (all listed in above post). Mostly, it's a very nice set -- several levels I was familiar with, but also some nice ones I hadn't seen before. The only level I really didn't like was Snowed In, a precision test that would be just about okay, were it not that the exit blends into the terrain and makes it impossible to see the spot you're aiming for. The difficulty curve was pretty decent throughout, though it got tough towards the end, making "Picnic" not really a very appropriate title for the set. The only level I felt was out of place was Altitude Training, which is pretty tricky, especially as it also demands a lot of precision.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 05:18:29 AM »
Skills stop working much closer to steel than I would like -- this makes some levels, like More Wee Creatures, extremely frustrating.

The steel there extends beyond the terrain by 2 pixels sideways (to prevent easy destruction by falling bombers) and 3 pixels upwards (because of the 4x4 grids - any further down and you could just blow up the top of the steel). Are you trying to bomb a lemming inside this region?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
After building from where the top-right lemmings start to the middle wall, I found it very difficult to bomb this bridge. Is the steel around the middle wall also extended?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »
I've fixed all the levels Proxima mentioned and I've fixed two others I knew about:

Times Four (circular clicking)
Life in the 3rd Dimension!

I didn't touch More wee creatures, I'll let Clam handle that one. I believe namida is away for a few days, in the meantime I will look for more levels to fix.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
After building from where the top-right lemmings start to the middle wall, I found it very difficult to bomb this bridge. Is the steel around the middle wall also extended?

and the same (mirrored) on the other side.

Offline Martin Z

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
I've played most of the levels now and it seems that all the steel areas are misplaced to the right.

So many great levels, btw!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
I've sent möbius updated versions of Lemming Cathodes and Prize Catch (the latter was an old copy that has backroutes), and also an updated music list as per his request.  Let's see how that performs.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72760678/Revenge%20of%20the%20Lemmings%20LEMMINI.zip

updated!

what Crane mentioned; custom music now added.  :D With the download link is now a folder of extra music.
This is an optional feature. I'm not sure what happens if you play without having the proper music files...  :-\

------
When I install the pack into my folder and open Lemmini I keep getting random levels available that I haven't played yet and I don't know why. I think this is I problem I alone have however, but let me know if anyone else experiences this.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
Before LPII pack was released, I managed to play this pack till Armageddon 22: "Down the cliff", which is geoo's level, and now I'm stuck. :D I solved all the Bonus levels also, so I have those 9 last Armageddon levels to go now. I remember trying "Down the cliff" a lot in geooPk0 Lemmix pack also, so I might be stuck for a while... :P

Levels I hadn't solved before this compilation pack:
Picnic 12: "Not a Basher Tutorial" by Gronkling/möbius (Obviously, this level hasn't been released earlier)
Hootenanny 13: "It's a Long Long Way to Fall" by Proxima (I didn't see this in Michael Preview Cheapo packs, a nice miner level)
Frenzy 13: "Drop the Dead Lemming" by Proxima (I guess I backrouted this one, saved builder and some other skills if I recall correctly)
Pain 15: "Sharing a Climber" by Crane (This level was vastly updated from the version I had played ages ago, now this was a really tricky and beautiful puzzle)
Pain 25: "Catch Your Death" by Clam Spammer (The solution I originally had in ClamSpam01 pack ages ago doesn't work in Lemmini, had to invent something else :--D)
Carnage 19: "Changing of the Guards" by Proxima (Well done möbius for placing this in the Carnage rating, it was surprisingly hard to realize what's going on here, but a big minus for steelifying normal terrain :( (yes I know that Bubble lacks steel... could that be designed in an other way? This is still a really good level imo!))
Armageddon 2: "Lemming Recycling Plant" by Clam Spammer (The solution I originally had in ClamSpam01 pack ages ago has been prevented here)
Armageddon 4: "Land of Linebreaks" by geoo (A great bombers-only puzzle)

Yeah, what annoyed me the most was the misplaced steel in lots of levels, it was ugly to watch when pieces of steel blew up when bombing lemmings, for example. :P So I might take a look at them some time. Also, I don't like the idea about the Lemmini pack being in two separate folders just to get passwords for every level. One of the biggest advantages in Lemmini for me has always been that level selecting list system, where you can choose any level you've already passed, and solving a level always unlocks the next level, it's so elegantly handled like this. If a game crashes and you lose your progress and/or you're stuck in a level and still want to get pass it, there's always cheatcodes just like in Lemmix... you know, type "0xdeadbeef" for a password. :P

Just started playing the Lemmix version.

So far, this is a really great pack -- a nice difficulty curve, and several levels that are easy to pass are interesting to solve for max %.

Wow, this is always so nice to hear! :thumbsup: Like I said earlier, I feel the most uncertain about the first two difficulty ratings, and imo the difficulty curve is more like L1/ONML curve in some places, so it's nice to hear other people's opinions. Plus Proxima is playing the Lemmix version, where it's not at all certain that the levels work as they should, because möbius modified even originally-Lemmix-levels to suit for the Lemmini game.

I glanced very quickly the Lemmix version, I saw for example (I was also aware of this issue already when I tried to fix this level to work in Lemmix) that Armageddon 1: "Vegetation Reign" lacks the exit entirely. This level is obviously created for Lemmini, where the exit works, but in Lemmix I guess the y-coordinate of the exit object is out of bounds (and the exit might not be possible just lower down, I can't remember). There might be other similar levels.

The only level I really didn't like was Snowed In, a precision test that would be just about okay, were it not that the exit blends into the terrain and makes it impossible to see the spot you're aiming for.
Thanks for the opinions! :thumbsup: I heard from another person also that he didn't like this level. "Snowed In" is purely my nomination for this level pack, so my bad, sorry guys. :D I chose this level because that trick isn't used in any other level in this pack of 210 levels (and is rarely used in any custom level even though it's pretty simple).

Remember people to check from the Read Me file levels and their authors, you might find some new level designers and favourites whose levels you haven't played earlier! You can tell the authors then that you appreciate their work in this topic, for example. :) For example, Crane adored "A break in the pillar", which is created by minimac. : )