Author Topic: Akseli's first custom level pack  (Read 17751 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Akseli's first custom level pack
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »
So many replays and comments now that I can't keep up properly! Thank you so much, everyone! :thumbsup:
Thanks for giving constructive criticism as well! :) I really appreciate your feedback.
I myself won't talk about the solutions yet too much, I don't want to reveal anything. :D

geoo and Turrican: Great job, I sent you a PM!

Proxima: Great comments as well! :) Those flags in level #3 actually have a little inside meaning, and Crysilis I presented here, the title comes from Jazz Jackrabbit. :D I'm definitely looking forward to your solutions, especially your description for level #4 was exciting for a few reasons!

7 levels are backrouted at the moment! I'm trying to remove backroutes and I'm working on the second version of this level pack.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:07 AM »
Not much to say for now besides: I am impressed! :) I sent some replays via PM, and I'll post comments later (if it hasn't all been said already!)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
Thanks Proxima and Clam for your solutions, I sent you a PM. :)

The pain of backroute fixing. :D
Thanks for geoo, Pieuw, Turrican, Proxima and Clam Spammer for sending your solutions so quickly! I managed to remove these backroutes already now.

The updated version of the level pack is out now, I attached it to the starter post of this topic.

Levels 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 were backrouted.
Levels 3, 9 and 10 remain the exactly same as earlier, those aren't backrouted at the moment.

Due to backroute fixes, the difficulty of executing the solution in two levels increased to some extent. Yet again I'd remind utilizing save states and such to make performing the tricks easier. Of course you are recommended to mention your opinion if something is really annoying.
The other level is "Feel the Pressure", which has now save requirement as 96%. So far only geoo has solved this level in the intended way, so anyone other can also try it if they want, although they would have solved the contest version earlier. I got too tired of people avoiding the main trick in this level, so now it is enforced. :P

Thank you all again for your solutions and comments! :thumbsup: This has been very exciting to see how you solve my levels and what you think about them. :)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:12 PM »
Hi Akseli

I like the level that was in the contest interesting layout as I never played that one before as I was one of the later ones getting back into the levelpacks.  I think I might know what the trick is to that one ;P  I think I ate too much birthday cake today and drunk too much fizzy drinks (Not a good thing ain't it) 

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
I have tried the second version of the pack and I have solved the levels 6 and 7 until now. I have e-mailed you the replays of these solutions.

My solution for level 7 is very different compared to the one I have found for the first version of the pack so it may be (probably) close to the intended solution!
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Nice Turrican, I messaged you.

Anybody having any luck with the levels still?
Has Insane Steve had time to check any level?
Have you grams yet managed to solve any level and make replays, because you said already that you may know the solution at least for two of my levels? ;)
Minimac, you can send me your DOS original mechanics replay solutions if you want, I am still capable to view those and decipher whether they are valid solutions, highly probably they are.

I've received much fewer solutions after backroute fixes, so I see this as a very good sign! I made really embarrassing mistakes with some of the levels at the beginning. :P
Please keep your replay solutions still coming if you find something! :)

EDIT (because I'm too lazy to post all the time):
Thanks Clam for his updated solutions, he's doing really impressive work and has now solved 9 levels, and even 8 of those in a way I'm happy with!
Also, one updated level is backrouted humiliatingly at the moment... :b But I'm happy that there seems to be so few backroutes now!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
I solved all but 1 and 6 now. I think my solution to 2 is a pretty embarrassing backroute. For level 6 I'd have a solution if the max safe fall distance was 68 pixels, or if lemmings could walk up 7 pixel steps. Alas, neither works, but it still seems more manageable than level 1 (which I still maintain is the hardest of the bunch :P).

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
One level uses a glitch, but I think it's somewhat obvious which one it is.
I don't like bug solutions, which level is it?

Edit: Question answered in PM.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
Hi Akseli

I think it might be the same question as Raymanni  ???

I feel bad for pestering you again but here we are I've still got bad news with trying to get the levels working in lemmix (Is that possible, sorry if it's a silly question)       

I've added an attachment but it's sort of a screen print to see if I'm doing the right thing.  I got the levels up but it doesn't seem to allow me to play them in the lemmix once I press F2.  Only way I can really play the levels is getting them working through Dos box but that means there will be no way of recording the replays. I totally agree  I think it's good to record the replays as well that way you have a sense of achievement.  :thumbsup:

I hope I haven't confused you with my question.  ???

By the way I solved one of your levels in the dos version level 3.  I like your message in the level sort of like a tribute nice touch. Well I think I know why you might of put one of the Dodochacalo's  tribute for that particular level.  :thumbsup:  I can't go too much in-dept as I don't want to give away any solutions.

Hope everyone has been okay

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »
I think I got it working no worries (Just had a a look through the comments cheers)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
Here's one of my replays

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:46 AM »
I beat level 1. I'll send the PM.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
Thanks everyone again for sending your solutions! Now I received enough big bunch of backroutes (discovered by Turrican, geoo, grams88 and Luis) so I'll update the level pack.

So far the most updated, the third version of the level pack, is attached to the starter post of this topic, link here.

Levels 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7 were backrouted.
Levels 3, 5, 8, 9 and 10 remain the same as in the second version of the level pack.

About level 7, I said some people that I'm not quite sure if I'll block their solutions, but then there came too many of those, and everyone's solutions for level 7 is prevented now.

I was hoping that this third version is the last beta version of my level pack but now again it seems that there's so many alternative solutions. :D Oh well. Please keep your solutions still coming, and I hope you're having fun playing my levels! And don't forget to give comments and feedback. :)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »
Recently I really realized how there’s much less interest in level designing in the Lemmings community than I thought.
I think one of the reasons why is backroutes are everywhere and fixing them is annoying. Lemmings is haunted by this forever. That contest that we had was more of a "Find the intended solution" contest. The last level to have their intended solution found is the winner.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 03:04:09 PM »
Hi Akseli

Here's a replay from one of the marble levels.  Tricky solution but actually quite a nicely designed level.  :thumbsup: