Author Topic: Akseli's first custom level pack  (Read 17752 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Akseli's first custom level pack
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
So that I can say I’ve released even one level pack. Plus level packs suddenly coming out of nowhere is cool.

It can't hurt to try out designing a few levels, can it? :) Level designing can be pretty fun and rewarding if you have some good ideas and people playing them.

...level, considering it's his very first. I hope you make more Akseli!  :)

I'm not sure if I would have ever made even one single level without a contest like this. And I'm really excited to see what kinds of solutions other people will find for my creation. I think I'm starting to understand the allure of making own levels more than ever.

And some more comments outside the forums something in the style of "How on Earth haven't you made levels, dude!?!?!?".

Yeap and it really seems to make sense starting a topic for a level pack rather than putting everything in Lemmix Level Pack Topic. :)

Recently I really realized how there’s much less interest in level designing in the Lemmings community than I thought. I think “Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack” topic was the last bit when I figured out that surprisingly few seem to be really interested in the level designing scene/has played many custom levels/are willing to discuss about these. This issue doesn’t at least spark my level designing appetite too much, and I’m not sure if/when I’m going to make more levels. But now I have created even one single pack, so I can taste what it’s like to create levels myself, not just to play others’ ones.

My levels in this pack focus on tricks. Some of them I’ve discovered entirely myself, and some of them I’ve got inspiration from Clam’s trick topic. One level uses a glitch, but I think it's somewhat obvious which one it is. I don't know if most of these tricks are used in older levels already. Highly probably they are, and you can mention it if you find my levels similar than some older levels. But it’s of course very nice if there’s even one single level which could offer you something that you haven’t experienced in Lemmings before.

Naturally, I'd like to hear any kind of thoughts which come to anyone’s mind about my levels. Are there flaws in my levels, which kind of, does something look ugly, is the difficulty curve solid etc. I’d like to hear which levels are your favourites of these, but also which levels are your least favourites. Also, which levels you considered the hardest, which the easiest and so on. You can rank my levels in these kinds of orders if you like.
I’d guess that the most annoying issues in my levels are going to be executing the solutions. Like I said, they use tricks, and these need precision. I’d recommend to utilize fast forward and save states as much as you like. Of course I'd like to hear which other details annoy in my levels. And if there's actually something you like about. Please don't hesitate to give any kind of feedback, I'll appreciate everything.

The first level I saw in my dream when I was 11 years old. It looks very simplistic, but at least for now I don’t want to add any decoration there, because the level was exactly like that in my dream. I’m surprised that the level actually works well.
The third level is a tribute/gift/something for some of my favourite level designers. In a neat puzzle game called “Laser Tank” there were people who made this kind of tribute levels for their “role models"/level designers they honoured particularly in that game. I liked that idea a lot. Tricks needed in this level aren’t discovered by me.
The fifth and the ninth levels are familiar from level design contests.
I tried to order the levels by difficulty (tell me your opinion!). I'm a bit worried if two certain levels resemble each other too much.  :-\

I think I’ll upload this pack to the Lemmings Level Database after fixing possible backroutes and such.
I hope you enjoy playing this! Or at least try not to break down in tears when playing my levels, if they're so awful haha. :P And yes, I'd very much like to see your solutions for my levels.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you have problems with setting up Lemmix, take a look at here.

Some hints for using Lemmix smoothly:
My levels are meant to be played in 'Custom Lemmings' viewer style. To change the viewer style, right click with the mouse on the window where levels are listed and choose 'Change viewer style...' and choose 'Custom Lemmings'.
When playing a level, you can save a replay by pressing 'u', and a replay file will appear in the Replay folder. To view a replay, press Shift+R.
You can save the current state by pressing Ctrl+F1, and load the latest saved state by pressing Shift+F1. Fast forward works by pressing 'f' and game will jump 10 seconds by pressing the Spacebar. Just to ease your playing experience. :P

If you want to send your solutions me privately (which is recommended), you can send them in my e-mail: juhoakseli[at]hotmail.com or link them me (with speedyshare or dropbox, for example) in a personal message.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT 1: The second version of the level pack is out now! Fixed levels 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8!

EDIT 2: The third version of the level pack is out now! Fixed again levels 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7!

EDIT 3: The pack is even more updated and at last available in the Lemmings Level Database!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Akseli's first custom level pack
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »
Hi Akseli

Cool I've gave your levels a try for the first time oh they are hard haven't completed any yet but I was wondering if these levels are meant for lemmini or is it meant for the custlems.  I got it working on the dos custlems but not lemmini.

I can get them up to the exit on the first level but keep running out of time. 

Oh my I remember that laser tank game, must of been a long time ago since I last played that.  I remember spending a bit of time making my own levels and tested it by letting my brother play the levels in that game.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »
Oooooh, definitely getting/playing/giving comments, a lot like how you've done for my sets. This is going to be good, if what I've seen from you in the past is any indication.  8)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments! :thumbsup:

This pack is meant to be played in Lemmix/CustLemm. I just checked that this pack works in Custom Lemmings, no one of the levels crashed when I played them. : ) Most of the tricks are DOS/Lemmix specific, but I know that at least the third level works as intended in Lemmini also.

Yeah, if you don't make it in time in the first level, then you don't have the right solution. ;)

Oh my I remember that laser tank game, must of been a long time ago since I last played that.  I remember spending a bit of time making my own levels and tested it by letting my brother play the levels in that game.
Oh yeah I love that game, I played it a lot about ten years ago! :thumbsup: An addictive puzzle game with loads of different levels from different authors, and some of the authors created just ingenious stuff. I also created some levels, mostly for my little brother to try out, but then the hard drive crashed and my work disappeared. :I

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
Yeepee, Akseli dude finally made his first pack !

I have to say all these levels look pretty nice, I just love this big bug !
And level 3 is of course the best of all, a true masterpiece... ok I'm just being silly here. :D

I did not solve any of them yet, but as you know I quite suck at playing levels in Lemmix.
And I usually suck at solving other people's levels, so... I'm doomed here.

Awesome work anyway my friend :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:38:55 PM »
I think I figured out the solution to level 3,  :evil: well I won't say too much don't want to give it away.  I'm still to actually complete that level.

We could do a race to see who completes the levels first.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:24:03 AM »
We could do a race to see who completes the levels first.

Well, count me out, because I only have Lemmix and therefore access to only the 5 original levels. :( Still, I had a go and only solved 2 of them so far, levels 3 and 7. They're both clever solutions and do require a lot of thought, especially in what tricks you need. They certainly gave me a couple of tries, and I sure all of them would be like this as well.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
Well, count me out, because I only have Lemmix and therefore access to only the 5 original levels. :(

If it is the exact same problem I had, just copy any level pack into Lemmix\gamedata\custlemm and rename it levelpak.dat. It worked for me.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
Thank you all for the comments! :thumbsup: It feels great to read that kind of analysis about my levels, what did you minimac do, for example. :) I hope that you'll get your Lemmix to work with ONML styled levels also, you still had made ONML tileset levels years ago. If Pieuw's advice didn't work, maybe take a look at here?
And I'd still like to see everyone's solutions. :D

Some hints for using Lemmix smoothly:
My levels are meant to be played in 'Custom Lemmings' viewer style. To change the viewer style, right click with the mouse on the window where levels are listed and choose 'Change viewer style...' and choose 'Custom Lemmings'.
When playing a level, you can save a replay by pressing 'u', and a replay file will appear in the Replay folder. To view a replay, press Shift+R.
You can save the current state by pressing Ctrl+F1, and load the latest saved state by pressing Shift+F1. Fast forward works by pressing 'f' and game will jump 10 seconds by pressing the Spacebar. Just to ease your playing experience. :P

If you want to send your solutions me privately, you can send them in my e-mail: juhoakseli[at]hotmail.com or link them me (with speedyshare or dropbox, for example) in a personal message.

Three levels are backrouted at the moment. :XD:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
This is really stupid question, but how can I actually play levels that are in .dat. I have only used to play Lix and Lemmini levels, so I'm not really sure what to do. :(

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
This is really stupid question, but how can I actually play levels that are in .dat. I have only used to play Lix and Lemmini levels, so I'm not really sure what to do. :(

In Lemmix :

- File -> Open
- Select file type : DOS Levelpack file (*.dat)
- Choose Akseli's pack
- View -> Levels viewer -> Custom Lemmings
- Open the level you want to play and press F2
- Voilà ! For more tips, read Akseli's post above.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »
Raymanni: Set up Lemmix as described here: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=804.0

I had a first pass through the level set two days ago, first pass meaning I spend 5-10 minutes on each level and if I can't solve it by then I move on to the next. Back then I solved all levels but 1, 4 and 10. I had an idea for 10, but thought that if that's the intended solution then that's going to be so horrible to execute I don't want to do it.
I had another go at the rest today and managed to solve them. Not sure why I had trouble with 4. For level 1 my previous solution ran out of time, and you comment prompted my to look for a different solution. Though trying my old solution again I barely managed to complete the level within the time limit. Level 10 I was just being dumb thinking the solution I had would be too hard to execute.

Comments:
1: Nice minimalistic level, though I don't know whether my solution is intended. If it is, then the time limit is a bit tight (the last lemming enters the exit in the last possible frame I think).
2: I think the timing here is a bit more tricky than it needs to be, but I like the underlying idea.
3: I realized very quickly what I had to do, but still, it's a really beautiful idea.
4: You got quite a lot of skills here, so the level seems relatively easy, but it still gave me a bit of trouble figuring the skill placement. Not sure whether my solution is intended. Either way, I feel the gap at the right could be shortened slightly so you don't have to resort to bridge stretching (or at least very precise placement).
6: This was a really good puzzle, I was trying various things before I got this one, though I used that digger placement from early on. Again, not sure if intended.
7: My solution to this one was a bit weird. It's really hard for a puzzle with that many skills, the only big restriction is having only one digger.
8: Probably my favourite one of the bunch (excluding 5 and 9, which I think I've commented on before). I first had a solution that was supposed to mine through the one-way wall, but the OWW glitch made it impossible. So I had to readjust my idea. I saw the main trick in one of Steve's Lix levels before, and then worked out the timing at the top, so this one was probably not as hard for me as to other players.
10: I had the idea I worked out on my first pass, but I thought it'd be so hard to execute that I didn't try. Turns out I was being dumb as I thought I had to dig right away, making the timing a lot more difficult. Again, having seen that trick before might have made it easier for me here.

I'll send my solutions to you via PM.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »

In Lemmix :

- File -> Open
- Select file type : DOS Levelpack file (*.dat)
- Choose Akseli's pack
- View -> Levels viewer -> Custom Lemmings
- Open the level you want to play and press F2
- Voilà ! For more tips, read Akseli's post above.
For some reasons that did not work, because I'm missing some graphics files, but I can still create and test my own levels without problems. I'm going to try the Lemmix player what geoo mentioned.  :thumbsup:

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »
Time for me to comment... I was hoping to solve more of them first, but ah well. Got #3, #4 and #8, and I'd already solved #5 in the contest.

Firstly, these are really nice-looking levels, especially #2, #3, #4, #6 and #9, though I'm not wild about all the flags on #3. Love the crescent moon on #9. (Is the odd spelling of #9's title deliberate?)

#3 is a fantastic level -- which trick you need is obvious from the skills, but it's not at all clear where to use it, and when you see it and everything clicks into place, the solution is really beautiful. I like the fact that the release rate is already set up to help with the timing.

#4 is okay, a little disappointing in that it turned out to be easier than it looked at first glance. I haven't seen the trick used before in that exact version, so that's a plus. #8 is an excellent puzzle, though here, as geoo said, being familiar with the trick made it a little easier to get. Still, overall the level is very different from Insane Steve's, so definitely worth keeping.

Of the ones I haven't solved yet, I really like #2, just because it's great to see a really difficult puzzle level with builders only, and #6, because I've spent a fair amount of time on this one and am very much enjoying being baffled by it.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Hi Akseli !

Very nice pack! It has some very well made levels!  I  have solved the levels 2 , 3 , 5 and 7 until now. I have e-mailed you the replays of the solutions.

My favorite level from the pack is level 9 ( Crysilis ) , even if I haven't solved it yet ( it looks very nice, and I like builderless levels )!

Also in level 8 , it seems I've encountered the issue geoo has described ( about trying to mine through the one-way wall ).
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q