Author Topic: Game Boy Lemmings - anyone know if the music is out there anywhere?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
This one's been puzzling me for a while, so I figured that it was time to ask the experts. :P

I've been looking for a rip of the music from the Game Boy version of Lemmings (the 1993 one published by Ocean) - like, a .gbs file or suchlike. However, I can't find one. I've only ever been able to find a .gbs taken from the Game Boy Colour Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings (released in 2000 by Tarantula Studios and Take2), which is a completely different game that has something unfathomably horrible that I couldn't even describe as *being* music.

This is one of the versions of Lemmings that I grew up with, so I'd love to be able to get hold of its music.

I've checked all of the usual places for this stuff, and have Googled a fair bit, too, but I've come up with nothing. Is it out there somewhere and I've missed it? Or have people overlooked its existence and simply assumed that the later Game Boy Colour title is just a colourised version of the original, and left it alone for that reason? ( :'( ) Does anyone know, please?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Game Boy Lemmings - anyone know if the music is out there anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
It is probably a combination of not too many people actually having played or even aware of the Gameboy version, and probably even less of them feel the need to rip the music. :-\  To be honest I don't remember anything about its music, good or bad or whatever. :XD:

That said, as I had played it on emulator some years ago and it should still be on my old laptop, maybe I can get a rip of the music there, assuming the emulator has a feature to rip music.  I'll probably be busy for the next 2 or so weeks though, so not likely to start looking until afterwards.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
Game Boy emulators generally can't dump music because music on the system is done with normal software subprocedures that manipulate the audio hardware through magic port addresses. The only system I can think of where you can straight-up dump the music is SNES, because that system had a dedicated music-playing circuit, leaving the main CPU to handle program code full-time.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
Yeah... GBS files are usually made, much like NSF files, by stripping out everything but the game's music-playing code from a ROM image, essentially, if my memory serves me correctly.

If it comes down to it, I'll just have to make some time to go through it and manually record to some standard format or other. :thumbsup: