Author Topic: Mario Lemmings  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Mario Lemmings
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
This is an old flash game that was made in 2009. It's a Mario game that plays like Lemmings and I just beat it today. There's 24 levels. Some of the levels were weird, where the exit is right close to you and yet you see another exit with more obstacles to deal with. Why go to the one with a lot of obstacles when there's one right in front of you? What makes this even more weird is that this wasn't even one of the early levels. There's 50 Mario on every level and all of the levels has a 100% save requirement, so no Mario is allowed to die in this game.

There are 15 skills and I will explain what they do from left to right.

Pipe: Allows one Mario to go inside of a pipe and come out from another. Think of the teleport from Lemmings PS3.

Cape: Makes Mario glide down.

Builder: This looks like those little fence that you see in Super Mario Bros. Mario will put five of these horizontally and all the Mario can walk on it. In some levels, this skill has a problem. If one Mario is in the area where the fence is going to appear, that Mario will explode and die.

Climber: Climb up ropes then jumps to a near by terrain. The terrains can't be destroyed by the way. Only the sand and the yellow blocks.

Piano: This is the blocker. The Mario that is playing the piano will make all the other Mario behind him stop and dance.

Fire Mario: Gives Mario the fire power.

Fireball: Only the Mario that has the fire power can use this. It makes Mario shoot a fire at a Koopa.

Small Mario: Fit through small holes.

Pickup: Lets Mario pickup red grass that contains a bomb and throw it in front of him. This is the most annoying skill in the game, because there are levels where you need to pickup the bomb at a certain pixel in order it for the bomb to drop down and break the blocks below.

Duck: Makes Mario duck down to avoid a bullet bill.

Run: Increase one Mario's speed.

Frog: Mario needs this to swim on the water or he'll die.

Tanooki Suit: Mario will fly horizontally and will not stop until you give him a different skill. He can turn into a statue to avoid bullet bills.

Raccoon: Same as Tanooki, without the statue.

Digger: Dig down to remove sand.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
this has some interesting concepts. I like "shrinking mario" and teleport.

the graphics appear to be taken right from Super Mario world
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
I didn't like how you can't move around the level when it`s paused or pick a skill with the keyboard.  I was gonna make a playthrough of it, but for some reason, it doesn't look full screen in the video when I record it with fraps and that software is the only one I know that can record sounds along with the gameplay. I'm gonna have to record it with Bandicam and then paste the music in it with windows movie maker. Or I can record both the sound and music with fraps and try to make it sync with the gameplay, but that's gonna be difficult.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »
I didn't like how you can't move around the level when it`s paused or pick a skill with the keyboard.  I was gonna make a playthrough of it, but for some reason, it doesn't look full screen in the video when I record it with fraps and that software is the only one I know that can record sounds along with the gameplay. I'm gonna have to record it with Bandicam and then paste the music in it with windows movie maker. Or I can record both the sound and music with fraps and try to make it sync with the gameplay, but that's gonna be difficult.

There are two other good (and free) screen cap programs I know of:
Cam Studio - which I used to use all the time. It's pretty simple and easy to use.
Debut Video Capture - this one is really nice (I used it on my videos of my levels I recently uploaded on youtube) It also comes with a bunch of other stuff but most of that costs money or has trials (but still costs). But the recorder program itself is free.

but some full screen games do this odd screen distortion thing themselves (see my experiences in  Lemmings Revolution)

I could never get fraps to work at all (the free version anyway) ???
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 02:35:20 AM »
Definitely a cool concept, but a bit unpolished with the user interface design.  On top of the issues Luis already noted, there is nothing more annoying than the pause message blocking the center part of the screen where one of your worker marios may be located.  Or that loading and saving is not automatic, and if you forget to load your progress first when you restart the program and start a game, there is no way to skip the intro movie you already watched previously.  etc. etc. etc. :XD:

Still, fun times. 8)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:08 AM »
There are two other good (and free) screen cap programs I know of:
Cam Studio - which I used to use all the time. It's pretty simple and easy to use.
Debut Video Capture - this one is really nice (I used it on my videos of my levels I recently uploaded on youtube) It also comes with a bunch of other stuff but most of that costs money or has trials (but still costs). But the recorder program itself is free.

but some full screen games do this odd screen distortion thing themselves (see my experiences in  Lemmings Revolution)

I could never get fraps to work at all (the free version anyway) ???

Cam-Studio doesn't record the sound. I tried using both fraps and Bandicam at the same time to record the gameplay and the sound, but that made the game slower. I have no choice but to record the gameplay with Bandicam then record the music with fraps. There's a Youtube video of someone who has a link where you can get the full version of fraps for free.

I overwrote my save file by accident and I'm now at the beginning. At least I already beat it. Since I can't pick a skill with the keyboard, in some levels I kept pausing the game in order to reach the skill and a Mario on time.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:58:43 AM »
It used to. I don’t know what happened. It could be that you and I both have a problem with the program or an incompatibility with our computers that causes this. I know it was made before Windows 7 was here and maybe earlier. They may have not updated it with newer sound cards are something.

But this is all speculation I really have no idea why it doesn’t record sound anymore. I stopped using it because Debut is really nice. (and free) I like it a lot.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »
I finished the game today.  Good concept and many decent levels, marred by issues with a few skills and with the UI (eg. pausing partially blocks your view of the level).  Level difficulty curve a bit uneven in places.  Would love to have an updated version that addresses those problems and comes with a level editor!  But of course it's an old game and not likely going to happen. :(

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
I'm trying to make a playthrough of this now and for some reason, fraps can record a full screen of this game with no lag, in my latest Laptop. I'll post the video when I'm done. It's gonna take a while, because I forgot the solutions. Level 14 has an annoying fake difficulty. When you block all the Mario with the piano and a fire Mario is one of them, you can't click on the fire Mario to shoot a fireball, if there's too many of them walking too close to him. I don't think it's possible to beat this level without pausing and quickly use the digger and piano skill.

Finished it: http://youtu.be/RAs7KYtKOBI
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
A little bit off-topic, but here's another kind of "Mario Lemmings" (from Mari0):

I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...