Author Topic: Tricks You Use (Warning: May contain solutions!)  (Read 16309 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Tricks You Use (Warning: May contain solutions!)
« on: July 07, 2004, 01:26:41 PM »
WARNING: This post may contain solutions, or parts of solutions, to otherwise hard levels! People, please state which levels your posts contain information about, so people can skip posts about levels they do not want solutions to!

NOTE: This post contains part of the solution to all the Oblivion levels apart from Oblivion 4.

Post any tricks you use often here. Don't post simple ones such as "Climb and bomb" (*cough* Insane Steve *cough*), post more complicated ones, such as Oblivion.

Speaking of which, the Oblivion trick is:

Place many blockers along a path, then bash in the direction opposite to the one they were walking to free them all. This is used when the terrain prevents a single or a dual blocker from holding back the lemming - each lemming becomes a blocker individually. There is an exception to the "opposite direction" - Castle Of Oblivion(Ultimate Challenge 5, Level 1, if I remember correctly).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Conway

Re: Tricks You Use
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:05:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to demonstrate our knowledge of complicated tricks in the levels we make? If we share them all here, there will be less to figure out when we play each other's levels.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Tricks You Use (Warning: May contain solutions
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 02:06:20 AM »
Well, I liked the tricks of Steaver, like:

- Make a lemming a builder near the entrance of the exit, and the lemming will count for two lemmings. O_o

- Floaters can pass trough a one pixel floor.

But I found a special trick using the REPLAY + NUKE 'EM and I made a level on it: Give a tool to a lemming (not too early) and restart the level. Let the REPLAY ON and double-click on NUKE 'EM. The lemming where you gave him a tool will explode and will reappear because you gave him a tool to do. Also, some lemmings will continue to get out of the trapdoor. You can again double-click on NUKE 'EM and the lemmings that are out explode, this time more lemmings will get out... and so on. This trick works only if REPLAY is keeping for a long time. The REPLAY will stop only when the last tool was given to a lemming. Also, with this trick, when the lemming where you gave him a tool is entering the exit, the level will continue even with no lemmings in play (OUT 0 IN 1 for example). O_o You have to double-click on the NUKE 'EM icon again or wait until 0:00 on the counter.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 06:27:17 AM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1089206801/0#2 date=1091498780
- Floaters can pass trough a one pixel floor.

Tha was originally MY TRICK! I discovered it... haven't you read the intro text of EVERY level I've used it in?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:03:34 PM »
Make a lemming a builder near the entrance of the exit, and the lemming will count for two lemmings.

How near the exit does this have to be? I have never noticed this. Does this make it possible to save more than 100%? O_o

Anyway, when you use the nuke, only the lemmings currently out count as the total. So, if only one lemming is out and he exits before the second comes, use the nuke and it will count as 100% This trick is used in one of my levels, and the same principle is used in another.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 09:11:56 AM »
Cheapo only.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 11:58:56 PM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1089206801/0#3 date=1091514437

Tha was originally MY TRICK! I discovered it... haven't you read the intro text of EVERY level I've used it in?

Oh! I'm sorry, I didn't know... X_X

I forgot to notice that these tricks are for Cheapo only. So Conway, is your trick is for Cheapo too?
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 05:10:17 AM »
Conway's trick is actually LemEdit only.
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1089206801/0#4 date=1091534614

How near the exit does this have to be? I have never noticed this. Does this make it possible to save more than 100%? O_o

I can answer that (a year late!) since I just noticed the same phenomenon on a level I was play-testing.

The builder has to be exactly within the exit's trigger area. You can't save more than 100%; the "IN" counter stops when it reaches the number of lemmings on the level.

JM

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 09:03:22 PM »
I know a trick on a level.All the terrain is steel but the wall you have to bash through to get to the exit is arrows pointing the other way.A way to get through is to send climbers up and explode them at the top of the block then as they reach the end of the hole the bomber made start digging.You find this on of Insane Steve's levels.The level is called "Wrong Way"

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 11:34:01 PM »
send climbers up and explode them

You find this on of Insane Steve's levels.

Of course, many of them :P

By the way, the point of this thread isn't to post solutions to levels! And it's called "Tricks You Use", not "Tricks Other People Use"!

JM

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 11:38:22 PM »
I used this trick in one of my levels "Execution Style" .All lemmings come out with RR 99. You have to save 1 out of 20. Demolecularizers block the path. You let the lemmings at the front bash repeatedly until they reach the demolecularizer. Eventually the Demolecularizer will kill 3 or 4 of them. At the beginning I made the first 4 lemmings floaters.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 01:36:10 AM »
On Cheapo, if you make a lemming a basher on the last pixel before a deadly trap, he will go through the bashing animation and emerge safely on the other side. This is the secret to my level "Watch Ye Step Again", which I made specially to annoy Insane Steve; I don't normally make cheap trick levels.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:47:34 PM »
Well, I suppose the thing about building on thin air (Custlemm only; see lemmings challenge) is a trick, though one that, at the moment, definitely does not contain solutions to anyone's (custom) levels as far as I can tell.

JM

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 11:46:41 PM »
I've used that trick in some levels.