Author Topic: Lemmings Forums on Youtube  (Read 97350 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums on Youtube
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
I'm discontinuing all of my Lemmings and Lix LPs on my channel until further notice.

Could it be you overdosed them a little? :) You must have been playing Lemmings or Lix every night, and a different pack each day (I know you record several episodes of one and the same LP in one chunk, but you still switch back and forth between packs, I guess).
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
Not exactly, I could go weeks without recording at some points. Each video is only 15 mins long typically so I could record 3-6 videos in one swoop.

I feel like there is a lack of remaining content at the moment,  I need to wait for more packs to be released.

I'm not happy with the quality of the Pimolems pack in the new format so I've abandoned that LP. Lemmings Squared is very near to the end but the levels near the end are just frustrating.

Lix is not as stressful but I feel like I need to come off the Lemmings genre in general for now. Too many "I made this level to piss off Flopsy" type levels at the moment.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
I feel like there is a lack of remaining content at the moment,  I need to wait for more packs to be released.

Really? You've played them all? Or did you just get stuck on all those you're currently playing (the technical difficulties with "Lemmicks" aside)? ;)

Because, while I'm still working on Lemmings World Tour, I've slowed down the pace considerably, partly due to my own YouTube channel, partly because Lemmicks has basically just been released, but didn't get that much attention. A lot of people did some "leafing" through them, trying a couple of levels here and there, but so far I don't believe anyone was able to finish it. I would like to believe that's due to the difficulty, of course, :D, but I doubt it.

So it feels a little early for me to try and push out the next thing so quickly.

but I feel like I need to come off the Lemmings genre in general for now.

That's more what I was expecting, and what I was referring to by "overdose" ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »

Really? You've played them all? Or did you just get stuck on all those you're currently playing (the technical difficulties with "Lemmicks" aside)? ;)

Because, while I'm still working on Lemmings World Tour, I've slowed down the pace considerably, partly due to my own YouTube channel, partly because Lemmicks has basically just been released, but didn't get that much attention. A lot of people did some "leafing" through them, trying a couple of levels here and there, but so far I don't believe anyone was able to finish it. I would like to believe that's due to the difficulty, of course, :D, but I doubt it.

I haven't played every pack in existence, I just don't have any wishes to play any of the remaining content which I haven't played.

Why does everyone naturally think that I get stuck on packs? I stop playing the packs when they stop becoming fun to play when the levels are just too much stress, I get no satisfaction from solving them and I feel a grudge towards the pack creator. Those don't make for fun youtube videos.

Also I'm sick of this Flopsy stereotype with levels where they have solutions which seem obvious but then when my initial approach doesn't work, I get upset and call the level stupid, I'm not the only Lemmings player who has ever done that in the history of Lemmings Let's Plays.

Regarding the Lemmicks issues, I explained my reasons for postponing the LP and I feel my reasons are legitimate.

I don't expect anyone to rush their packs out, I'm not even sure right now if I'll return to Lemmings LPs for the time being.
Especially if I'm just getting known as that Lemmings LP 'brat' who gets upset when he can't solve levels (which is not always true).

If you watch my LP of the LOTY levels, you'll find that I only get upset with namida's rank and you'll recall that I gave up LP Omega II because the pack was "not fun to play".

Basically, I don't like the person I'm playing in my videos, I feel like Lemmings brings out the worst in my personality especially when it seems some levels are going out of the way to be stupidly difficult.

If you want genuine Lemmings Let's players, go watch RTW, Nessy, Arty, namida or IchoTolot's videos

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
Hey, I know the feeling of getting burnt out on Lemmings. I haven't been playing many Lemmings levels myself for quite a while, because people just like to make their levels hard and you really have to be in the right mindset to deal with that. Squared does get rather nasty toward the end, too.
I'm focusing more on making Oh No More Casualemmings right now and trying to make it as beginner-friendly as possible. I want it to be a pack that someone who has never played Lemmings before could pick up and play and get through the first half of without much trouble.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »
Why does everyone naturally think that I get stuck on packs? I stop playing the packs when they stop becoming fun to play when the levels are just too much stress, I get no satisfaction from solving them and I feel a grudge towards the pack creator. Those don't make for fun youtube videos.

Pretty accurate description! :D Exactly that happens to me with many of the harder packs out there... and yes, when it happens to me, I call that "getting stuck". I'm not just stuck when I reach a level I can't solve at all, but also when I see a level where I know I might be able to figure it out, but only if I invest a whole hour into it. :D Virtual problems of virtual green-haired people aren't really worth that much effort.

I think the "grudge towards the pack creator" is part of the experience by now ;) . I remember a video title of Arty playing SEB Lems "Part XY: In which Flopsy gets blamed for Arty's stupidity". :D
To most of us it's probably obvious that usually, pack creators don't want to troll the player, but just create a good challenge; and pack creators know they don't have to take it personally when someone curses at them while fiddling around with a level.

Also I'm sick of this Flopsy stereotype with levels where they have solutions which seem obvious but then when my initial approach doesn't work, I get upset and call the level stupid, I'm not the only Lemmings player who has ever done that in the history of Lemmings Let's Plays.

I can only speak for myself here, but aside from "release rate 99 + save everyone", I don't even know of any stereotypes about you ;) . You told me about gliders + stoners in unison, but only after I had created such a level.

The only case where I'm deliberately creating levels in style of or "as hated by" other players is going to be the Encore / "Groupie" rank in Lemmings World Tour. And that's going to be 1-2 levels per user maximum.

Regarding the Lemmicks issues, I explained my reasons for postponing the LP and I feel my reasons are legitimate.

Of course they are! :) I'm not urging you to do anything, I was just a little amused by the fact that first you decide to cancel all Lemmings packs and then go on to say there are not enough out there. That's a bit like saying there's not enough food left at the buffet when there's merely nothing left of what you enjoy the most :P .

NepsterLems gives me a headache, but I know it's there, and if I had no other pack to play, I'd certainly be playing it more. In fact, for me it's the abundance, not the lack of alternatives that demotivates me from putting more time into NepsterLems - other packs are just more rewarding ^^.

Generally speaking, I doubt any creator's packs are going to get easier the more they build, though. Most of us try to make their puzzles better, i.e. more challenging, with every release.

If there's a paradigm shift now and several creators (starting with you and nin10adict) agree to make future packs a little easier again, I'll happily join in on that and go back to creating more stupid theme levels like in Paralems! :D

But so far, I got the impression that these easier levels are considered boring by most of the community; and while it's clear that "good puzzle" doesn't mean "hard puzzle", most of us probably want something that at least somewhat "tickles their brain" when they solve it :D .

Basically, I don't like the person I'm playing in my videos, I feel like Lemmings brings out the worst in my personality especially when it seems some levels are going out of the way to be stupidly difficult.

Now, that's a whole other thing! Yeah, I certainly know that feeling when you're asking yourself "Why am I even playing this? Aren't games supposed to be fun?" I remember my brother putting a lot of time into the Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers games on Steam, and was baffled how he could have that much stamina. For me, playing one of these, especially in the evening, mostly just resulted in me raging over the random generator that was more tilted to the player's disadvantage than actually being random - and then I'd just go to bed angry. :)

However, with NeoLemmix we fortunately have different options. Have you considered simply doing more post-commentary videos? They are certainly more fun to watch than simple, uncommented replays. That's why I really just check out IchoTolot's channel for walkthrough purposes - or for his LP of Lemmings II where he couldn't just play the replay, but had to solve the level live on camera.

Post-commentary allows to re-adress each level in a calmer state of mind, rather than getting angry and frustrated on camera. And it's also more time efficient for the viewer. No one likes to see a Let's Player fiddling around for 90 minutes on one and the same level. Well, except for the level creator perhaps, who might get some "sadistic pleasure" from it, as nin10doadict called it - but certainly no one else ;) .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:11:01 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »
Remember to take into consideration that you might be attempting two or three challenges here, not only are you trying to solve the levels but you are also trying to make the video entertaining when you are doing a (lets play or talking and playing the game at the same time), would that be fair to say? I've done a few lets plays and I found that I tend to do a lot worse if I'm talking and playing the game at the same time, I die a lot more times.

You are right Flopsy you can lose interest in certain level packs not that it is the fault of anyone, it's a thing that happens from time to time.

Strato Incendus has made a good point about doing the post commentary type video instead of taken on the two challenges where the work is made harder. you are making things a bit easier.

It looks like you are doing lots of videos flopsy so maybe you might be a bit on the burnt side, I was maybe thinking you might want to take a little break from it for the time being. I sort of believe when we are doing a lets play style video that we are using lots of energy, mental energy where you are thinking how am I going to solve this level or I don't want this video to be boring. The worry starts to set in and then it comes to doing the editing which can be annoying. (lets be hons) :):)

Now this could be a psychological thing but I might maybe have a go at this one see if I can explain it better, I think there might be an element of I want o do all the packs that have been created or you have set yourself a goal that is going to be very difficult. Now I don't think that you are wanting to do every pack but you are sort of thinking in that same line.

I felt your last comments you were being really hard on yourself, you were acting as the judge jury and executioner.

Enjoyed watching your Neolemmix tutorial video, I learned a lot from it, thank you. As well as helping myself you have probably helped a lot of lemming fans out there.

Hope you are okay Flopsy.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »
Thank you Flopsy for all the awesome and entertaining Lemmings videos you have produced. I completely understand your recent decision regarding content related to Lemmings and just remember to take all the time you need, whether it be for a while or indefinitely.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:06 AM »
I've decided to stop uploading content again, I will not be showing anymore DoveLems or Lix videos until further notice.

Sorry everyone who has been enjoying those videos.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
Further to my previous post.

After tomorrow's final Lemmings Squared video, my YouTube channel is going to go on hiatus until further notice and no more videos will be made available during this time.

I'm fed up of this stigma attached to my videos that I am someone who gets angry when he cannot solve a level. Maybe I'm better off solving levels off screen going forward and it has been working for me so far. I'm slowly getting deeper into Lemmings Reunion and NepsterLems day by day and that is a big obstacle I never thought I'd overcome.

The reality in my opinion is levels in packs are getting longer and more difficult and that doesn't make for good videos in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone who has supported my channel but I think any future Lemmings content will not be live anymore.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »
Did you get viewer complaints about that, getting angry at the Lemmings? ;) Or is it just a voluntary choice?

I think that's part of the experience, :) so while I enjoy post-commentary as well, I'd certainly not be one to blame others for shouting at those little green-haired dumb*sses :D . We all know how they can drive the player nuts sometimes.

If the anger gets points predominantly at the pack creator rather than "the game" itself, that's of course something that might rub people the wrong way. Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, too, for having created something challenging.

And it's not exclusive to you, of course ;) . Remember that SEB Lems episode titled "in which Flopsy gets blamed for Arty's stupidity"?
My packs so far:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2018, 10:19:18 PM »
If the anger gets points predominantly at the pack creator rather than "the game" itself, that's of course something that might rub people the wrong way. Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, too, for having created something challenging.

There have been numerous occasions where I have made *mild* personal attacks at pack creators in my LPs and these videos never made it to the channel for that reason, I instead chose to stop the LP when the levels in the pack made me overstep the mark.

I'm not going to name specific packs but I feel I have been very unprofessional in my video making and I should just stop now.

While some may see it as a compliment, I hate saying nasty comments on video regardless of how it is perceived.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »
As someone who's made plenty of levels that made you rage, I don't take it as offensive if you get angry at the level or even me over it. To me, that just says I've done a good job of creating a challenging level - or, in some cases, that there's something I could have done better (for example, if the frustration arises from trying to execute a backroute that needs insane precision). Of course, this does depend on the pack and even the position of the level - frustration at a LPO2 Sharp level is a great thing, but I'd take it as an alarm bell if someone got frustrated at a level in LPI Mild or LPII Nice.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
Yeah, like in my case with Lemmicks' "Do not fear" in the first rank. Totally unintended pixel precision for what was actually the intended solution. Rage totally justified! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »
Now that my Ace Attorney LP has finished at last, I'm changing to a new upload schedule! I mentioned this in passing in the Lemmings World Tour Topic, but I made a minor change, and this is how the uploads will go!

Monday and Thursday I will upload a video for my next main LP.
Tuesday and Friday I will upload a Lemmings World Tour video.

I know I promised 5 videos a week instead of 4, but I feel this schedule will be less likely to result in schedule slips and give me ample time to record, edit, save, and upload the videos in time.

This new schedule will likely start this Thursday. The first World Tour video will come out this Friday. All uploads should be at noon EST.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0