Author Topic: Lemmings Forums on Youtube  (Read 97377 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Forums on Youtube
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2016, 06:21:43 AM »
For anyone not aware, I am currently doing something a little different on my Youtube channel at the moment. Something which I believe hasn't been done in a live playthrough before.

I am attempting to obtain the LPI Talismans and capturing my live attempts. If I spend too long on one and haven't got any ideas on it, I move onto another one and come back to it later.
I may not get all the Talismans but for someone new to the Lemmings Plus series, it's nice to be able to understand the struggle behind trying to obtain them. Especially some of the tougher ones!

These videos have been popular so far and I do intend on moving onto LPII when I'm done with LPI.
For those waiting on more LPIII videos, I'm taking a mini break from that series at the moment to do a bit of Talisman stuff but I'll be back on it within a few weeks at the latest :thumbsup:

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
Okay, got a question for all.

If I were to do a Let's Play of a lemming pack (which is very unlikely at the moment, but just curious), do I actually have to complete the level and not skip it? Everyone I know so far has chosen to complete the level no matter how hard it is, even though there is the option to skip levels in Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini (both by the cheat 0xdeadbeef which unlocks every level) and Lix. Even roundthewheel gave up after he was unable to complete a level in PimoLems.

My way of solving packs is that if a level is hard, I just skip it. I don't think it's fair if I stay stuck on a level and choose to give up in the end.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:17:41 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
I just complete a level as I come to it no matter how hard it is because that's what namida has been doing and it works well for me too (mostly!) ;P

I think it's come from the fact that the Original Lemmings games (apart from Win 95 version, which allowed you to cheat levels) didn't allow you to open the next level until you completed the previous one. Plus if you're stuck on a level and have to give up on it then that level stays on your mind and you're thinking about it when you're not playing it and how you could solve it kind of like the Original Lemmings days.

I wouldn't say it's the done way of doing a playthrough, I'd say if you'd rather come back to a level later then do it that way. I think it's best to find a way that works for you and then do it that way.

To be fair to RTW, his channel had a restriction put on it making it impossible to put videos longer than 15 mins up so his Pimolems playthrough is less likely to be continued even if he wanted to. But yeah I know what you mean about that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
Okay, got a question for all.

If I were to do a Let's Play of a lemming pack (which is very unlikely at the moment, but just curious), do I actually have to complete the level and not skip it? Everyone I know so far has chosen to complete the level no matter how hard it is, even though there is the option to skip levels in Lemmix, NeoLemmix, Lemmini, SuperLemmini (both by the cheat 0xdeadbeef which unlocks every level) and Lix. Even roundthewheel gave up after he was unable to complete a level in PimoLems.

My way of solving packs is that if a level is hard, I just skip it. I don't think it's fair if I stay stuck on a level and choose to give up in the end.

It's entirely up to you how you do your play. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2016, 03:27:17 PM »
As rtw said, "Let's Play" doesn't imply "Let's Finish". Still, as a viewer it's much more satisfying when the LPer completes all the content. If you reach a level that's too hard for you, skip it and come back at the end, or ask for hints. Even if you end up downloading and showing us someone else's replay, that's more satisfying than leaving it as a loose end.

Then again, by doing an LP you are giving us something for free, so it's not up to us to make demands on how you should go about it :P

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »
Thanks, all!

Does it necessarily have to be to a pack that I have not played before? I'm considering doing my LP on all Lemmix-to-NeoLemmix packs (including MazuLems and Deceit, and yes, the fishthekiller99/Lemmy556 packs, not kidding :P), probably once Nepster and I have pretty much finished converting them. (I don't really like my voice, though). However, I did play some of the levels in these packs before.

As I said, I'm not going to do an LP yet (and may end up not doing one after all). I'm only interested in doing it.

Also, can I do LPs of than one pack, similar to how Flopsy does it? This would be a Lemmix-to-NeoLemmix pack, and a fangame.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:24:02 PM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »
Once again - you can do it however you like. :) I've done a play of a pack I'd played before (GeoffLems), and I believe there are other examples of this out there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Soljmolf

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Hello all,  I just registered to the site, and can't wait to explore the Lemmings lore!

I have a youtube channel which is dedicated to completing Lemmings levels as fast as possible using DOSBox.  You could call it speedrunning, however I only do one level at a time.  Maybe in the future I'll consider tackling blocks of levels.

So far I only have videos of the first ten Havoc levels from Oh No! More Lemmings, as it was during my first play-through of this game when I came up with the idea to complete the levels as quickly as possible.  Also, I recorded these a year ago, but am now interested in getting back into it, especially after finding this forum.  I'll either finish the last ten levels in Oh No! or start at the beginning of the original game.

Channel is at  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYLlkh4DH2nYIXpSB0wdwpQ

Is there a record anywhere of the fastest times?

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
Hi, I'm working on a TAS of the original lemmings, http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2425.0 , these are attempts to get the fastest possible times with lots of savestating and stuff. It's using the genesis version though as DOS doesn't have much TAS support yet + it cuts out very long levels. Fun is done so far (~22min). I upload the solutions to my channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Diysion

There's also this old thread, http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1033.0 , which uses ingame time and is on DOS.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum Soljmolf :)

What lemmings games have you completed and what ones have been your favourite?

I really like the lemmings tribes myself. :) :)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2016, 06:23:33 AM »
Always nice to see more Lemmings Youtubers, welcome to the forum Soljmolf :thumbsup:

I've been considering doing a speedrun of the original lemmings game for a while now, it won't be anything tool assisted or anything. It would be just for fun and plus I've never done any speed running of any sort before so what better game to do than original Lemmings and possibly Oh no More Lemmings.
Just want to try something new and even if I don't do well, at least I tried it :XD:

Would anyone be interested in seeing that? There will be live commentary as always ;P

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
That would be good seeing Wafflem doing a lets play or long play of some of the level packs. :) A lot of people might not like hearing their own voice but it's not as bad as we imagine. Lol

Yes that would be an interesting one to do flopsy, is it where you try your best doing it on one attempt. They tend to be very hard if we were to mess up or something like that.

We might come accross lets play games that we can't complete either because the game does not have missions as such or the game might be very hard to complete. One game that comes to mind might be Pacman, although it does feature a kill screen if we get very far in the game well the original one anyway.

Offline Soljmolf

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2016, 02:20:21 AM »
Gronkling:  That's awesome. I have really enjoyed watching TASes of many games, and commend you for your commitment. The only one i have heard of concerning Lemmings is by Lord Tom, however I have not watched it (is he a community member?).  I will certainly check yours out though.  Thanks for the links

grams88: Thanks for the welcome! I have only played the original and ONML. And sadly not even that, as I never even attempted the last ten levels of onml.  Something got me into old DOS games last year, and I played through the original (having had it as a youngster).  I found myself addicted to the puzzle-solving quality of the gameplay, and soon found ONML.  pretty excited to play the holiday releases as well eventually.

Flopsy: Also thanks for the welcs!  I would be very interested in seeing and also doing the same thing (speedrunning parts of the original and onml). I kinda want to keep doing single level runs, but could see doing ten or twenty levels in a single run some time soon. Maybe we could work out some strategies together.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Since a lot of people have been doing Lemmings videos, I was eventually convinced that I should do them as well. Here is my YouTube channel.

So far, I have recorded the möbius / Proxima challenge pack and some of Flopsy's SEB Lems levels.

In addition to these, I'm currently playing through Chip's Challenge and Eversion, both games of which were suggested by möbius.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2016, 05:14:35 PM »
For anyone not aware already. My youtube account might not see much videos uploaded for the duration of August, it's due to there being a lot of trips on my days off from work with the youth club I volunteer at. And I want to dedicate any spare time I have to SEB Lems.