Author Topic: 3D Lemmings file formats  (Read 30791 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: 3D Lemmings file formats
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
Haha! :P

@Pooty - Any more progress on this, lately? I must admit to being curious as to whether you'll be looking at the PSX version, too, since I know there's a wallpaper in that which isn't found in at least the MS-DOS version (I have no idea about the Saturn one, as I've never encountered it), which is used when you complete the Practice levels.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
No progress from me, sadly. I've been focusing on my university work. I'm in my last 2-3 weeks of the university semester, so not too long now. :)
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »
Has anyone tried to find results for sounds?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »
I had a go at getting at the sound effects a little while ago. You can open them in Audacity if you import them as raw audio, but I never figured out what frequency they're stored at (in fact, in my brief messing around with it, it seemed that each one may be different), so I couldn't get them to sound right...

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »
I took a crack at it and turned out I needed the byte order to be "Default endianness." Here is some of the samples I converted. :thumbsup:

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 02:20:19 AM »
Nicely done. I'd expect that the endianness that would work would be little endian, since the rest of the game seems to use that. But I haven't looked into it much, so don't take it from me.

I did have a little play about just now with the VOXFX sound files, and like Prob Lem said, some of the playback rates of the files seem to be different. Some files worked at 11025 Hz, and others worked at 22050 Hz.

I've got around a week left of university for this year, so I can resume looking into 3D Lemmings more then.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 03:06:54 AM »
I just notice something when slowing down this file down 75%! ??? It sounds like a normal human! I put a comparison of both, the in-game one and the slowed down one in the attachments.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
Unfortunately, the real lemmings were too busy colonising some more islands, and couldn't make it to the recording studio, so they had to assign some human stand-ins. ;)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 11:54:27 PM »
I just notice something when slowing down this file down 75%! ??? It sounds like a normal human!

Uh... um... Hmm...

... Just how exactly did you think they made the voices?

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
They got someone else instead of the first Lemmings voice actor, said the phases weirdly, then sped the pitch and speed up. I still think they did not too bad but not too good.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
They got someone else instead of the first Lemmings voice actor
Well, naturally. The voices in the first Lemmings game were provided by Scott Johnston's mother, but by the time Lemmings 3D was made, DMA Design had sold the rights to Psygnosis, who had Clockwork Games make that particular installment. :P

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »
Awesome stuff here! :thumbsup:

I know the textures are easy to extract: each pixel takes reference to the game's palette.
The Pac-Man stuff is interesting. Wonder if there's some sort of hidden level somewhere or activated thru a cheat code.
And the idea of porting Lemmings 3D to Minecraft has been in my head for some times. Everything is there to make a Lemmings mod:
- The hotbar has 9 slots which could be perfect for the 9 Lemmings skills.
- The world is made of cube.
- There's already the textures of a block being mined.
- There's water and lava.
- We can use slabs for the builder.
- Making a 3D Lemmings model wouldn't be hard. There's already a Lemmings skin available too.
- In Creative mode, we could build any kind of awesome levels possibles.
- We could use the explosion of a Creeper to make the bomber's one (I just imagine with the Armageddon!).
- Making a texture pack would be easy if we can manage to extract the textures of the original game.

Everything else would be mostly some coding to make everything to work.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »
Everything else would be mostly some coding to make everything to work.

You saved the hardest part for last and made it sound trivial. (-:

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 11:03:04 AM »
Virtual Lemming mode is covered too :). You could even 'be the lemming' and do the digging yourself!

Here's a hilarious attempt at recreating Lemmings in Minecraft (only the 2d version mind you): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxLBQU3D_jo

And I already use that Lemmings skin myself :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »
After doing a bit of experimentation with level files, I've found that blocks extend up right up until the start of object data; and objects until the end of the file.

However, the segment outside of the range mentioned in Pooty's post, corresponds to X = 31, which displays extremely glitchy in game (I haven't experimented to see if it functions correctly). Actually, the same is true for Z = 31 too (except where Y = 0; I suspect the glitching does still occur there, but outside the visible area), but this doesn't present as a consecutive block of bytes that appear to do weird stuff. So in practice, these shouldn't be used. Interestingly enough, aside from not being able to get the camera high enough to see the top of it, Y = 15 works no problem.

The attached screenshot shows what happens from one angle, although changing the angle of view can give different results. The blocks responsible for the glitchiness, if they were unglitched, would be a line along the very bottom of the level at the very back, similar to the line along the bottom near the front and the two midair ones.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)