Author Topic: Tileset ideas thread  (Read 24076 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Tileset ideas thread
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
You could do a lego set, but you'd be limited to four colors of blocks (I'm assuming you're going to want two shades of each color).
I'd imagine that that depends what game it's intended for - the thread's not picky about which. :thumbsup:

(And, of course, there was already the "Lemgo" set in Lemmings 3D!)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
I already covered that it would work well in engines like Cheapo or Lemmini, we were specifically discussing DOS/Lemmix. =P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 04:28:52 AM »
How about an Oriental-themed tileset? So sort of ancient Chinese and Japanese architecture... don't know about traps though except the fabled flying guillotine!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
The other thing you have to question is how well it'd work in a Lemmings environment. Something that relies heavily on architectural-inspired designs can become not flexible enough. A few ideas I had for LPII were ditched for this reason.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
I liked the whole idea of using different games background but making it into a lemmings level such as Sonic. (i.e) we could have Death egg themed levels. (It's probably already been done)

Offline insulfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
I think someone did a 'Launch Base Zone' tileset with a 'Knuckes the Echidna' trap.

Youtube Links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7o4x96kgJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcaJJIsRV6A

Videos done by 'loftyD'

I think an idea for 3D Lemmings is to have a 'Minecraft' tileset (well, blockset in 3D Lemmings case), I think it would suit it well since the levels are made on a block-by-block basis :) . Although I don't have many ideas for the original style lemmings tilesets yet.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 06:52:22 AM »
I don't think we've quite got that far on L3D yet.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »
Here's one of my ideas.

We could have a cake inspired set, for example, we could make the sponge golden (two or three shades of yellow),  two shades of brown for the chocolate, two shades of red for the jam, and a cream/white color for the icing? This idea derives from the sweets set in L3D. I'll think of some more ideas for terrain pieces based along this made up set to see if this works out well. Obviously with such a limited palette the cake can't be decorated easily. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 11:03:24 PM »
What if we make the cake chocolate, therefore meaning we could use three shades of brown for the whole cake? The shades of red can be re-used for some decoration, leaving two free colors - perhaps some shades of green?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »
One idea that I had for a while, but I don't know if it's too similar to the Marble and Brick tilesets, is an Industrial theme, so things like, for example, water being a yellowish chemical, the exits have spinning orange hazard lights instead of flame torches, and traps include retracting circular saws akin to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and ceiling and floor-mounted flame jets (their horizontal range is limited so they would fill a similar function to shredder traps), for example.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
What if we make the cake chocolate, therefore meaning we could use three shades of brown for the whole cake? The shades of red can be re-used for some decoration, leaving two free colors - perhaps some shades of green?

I wasn't thinking of green at all, unless you were thinking of a Xmas tree type decoration or something like that. I thought of white for the icing, and retaining the sponge color (or silver) for the cake pillars.

Chocolate cake is a good idea, although I've actually made a start on drawing the normal sponge.

Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
Pieces of fruit?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
Yes I did think of fruit, but only cherries at the moment, as it is traditional to put a cherry on top of a fairy cake. Banana, plum and apple might also be possibilities.

I've made a code for each color (RGB Dec) suitable for the cake theme. I think the limit is eight colors, but anyway, from brightest to darkest:

240, 240, 240
240, 240, 160
224, 208, 144
208, 160, 80
192, 32, 32
112, 16, 16
80, 32, 32
64, 16, 16

I also thought about ribbons, chocolate drops, hard candy sticks, and a chocolate pit as the water hazard. :P

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
OK, in case anybody's interested this download is my set of graphics for the Cake tileset. (Well, the basics at least, with no animations or trigger areas so far, just the pictures). Haven't got any ideas for a trap other than a candle flame though.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:18 AM »
I assume you're planning to actually build this into a graphics set, rather than just create images, right? And if so, given that you're sticking to the 8-color limit, I also assume you're planning to make it for DOS/Lemmix by using LemSet (I don't think any other tools to compile it exist yet)?

I'll have to point out that you're doing a few things wrong:
- Your filenames. These should be either (style name)_t##.bmp / (style name)_o##.bmp or just plain t##.bmp / o##.bmp. You've named them cake0.bmp, cake1.bmp, etc for terrain - they should be either cake_t00.bmp, cake_t01.bmp, etc or just t00.bmp, t01.bmp, etc. Objects likewise, you've named them with descriptive names, but they should be either cake_o00.bmp etc or just o00.bmp etc. (In all official styles and the LPII styles, the exit is o00 and the window is o01. The window being o01 is a requirement - o01 must be a window, and windows must be o01 - but the exit being o00 is NOT a requirement, o00 can be anything you want and the exit can be in any slot you want.)
- The window. The first frame should be with the window fully open, the SECOND frame should be the fully closed one (from there, the remaining frames are the opening sequence). If you look how a Lemmini GIF file of a window is laid out, LemSet expects the same thing except with the last frame moved to the first position (this may seem weird, but this is in fact how it's stored in the graphic set files).
- This is more a precaution than something I noticed with your files, but keep in mind that a lemming checks for trigger areas one pixel below its feet, not in line with its feet. I attached two images to illustrate this. In both, the red dot represents the "normal" check position for the lemming - this position is used for almost all checks for both terrain and trigger areas. In the first picture, as you can see, the lemming is checking one pixel lower than the trigger area, and thus would not trigger anything. In the second, it would trigger the area. (The only things that are ever checked for in any other position are one-way arrows, steel areas and terrain; it should be fairly obvious when these other checks are but if you want more info just ask.)
- Don't forget you need an INI file describing the style (though you mention that's not done yet). I also find it far easier to work with a pallete.bmp rather than pallete entries in the INI.
My Lemmings projects