Author Topic: Tileset ideas thread  (Read 24072 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Tileset ideas thread
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »
Just thought I'd make a thread for batting around tileset ideas, because 1: I couldn't find a pre-existing topic about this, and 2: I keep getting random tileset ideas popping into my head every now and then, but don't actually have any use for them, and so I'm unlikely to actually make them. :-\ My ideas here are primarily for 2D Lemmings/Lemmings-style games, but ideas suited to any type of Lemmings game (from Lemmings 3D, to Lemmings Paintball, to Lemmings Revolution) are all welcome.

My first contribution here is a "Farmland" style, with fields, mud, and plenty of farm equipment that, in true Lemmings style (and most certainly not in the style of the absolutely terrifying farm-safety videos once aired in UK schools!), can cause grim deaths. :XD: Being an outdoors setting, it would also allow for using a couple of the enemies from The Lemmings Chronicles, too - namely, the Psycho Buzzard, and the Potato Beast (the latter of which I would imagine would be especially at home in a farmer's field, for some reason).

My second thought is a "Computer-innards" set, somewhat inspired by the computer settings in Lemmings 3D, but also partly inspired by an amusing comment I saw elsewhere that analogised overclocking a computer to hamsters in wheels, noting that inadequate cooling wouldn't do said hamsters any good. :D Naturally, my mind connected this idea with Lemmings, and came up with this. There's plenty of scope for primarily-electrical hazards in this one, as well as plenty of chances to include computer components that function as indestructible terrain (hey, it makes a change from steel and suchlike, right?).

Last of all, to round this out, I imagined a "Rainforest" style, primarily focussed on natural hazards such as water, deadly spiky stuff, large gaps and long falls (I suspect there'd be a lot of quite tall trees!), and so on. That said, it could also play host to some new enemy creatures, too - perhaps a poison-spitting frog that you can't allow your lemmings to get too close to, or a large spider that can grab them from overhead and carry them off, or other unpleasant indigenous wildlife.

Those are all of the ideas I have, for now. Anyone else?

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
Re: Tileset ideas thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:28:44 AM »
I wanna make a volcano theme for Lemmings 2. It'll use the hell exit from Lemmings 1. ♥

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »
Good ideas so far :) Here are a couple from me:

Underwater
Terrain: sand, coral, seaweed, shipwrecks.
Traps: any sort of sea life (like, oh I dunno, clams?), plus underwater water à la Spongebob Squarepants.

Desert
Terrain: sand (lots of sand!), oases, mud-brick buildings, shrubs.
Traps: cacti, scorpions, water in the oases (rodents don't appreciate the true value of it :P).

---

The rainforest set could also have some Aztec/Maya style buildings/ruins. Just to give it some straight lines :)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
Doggonnit, Clam Spammer! Stop stealing my thoughts from the inside of my brain!

The volcano thing actually spawned from an idea to make a mod of Lemmings 2 with 12 new tribes. The tribes I had in mind are as follows:
  • Volcano (lava instead of water, various stone structures, chains and in general like the original hell levels)
  • Ocean (or as Clammer said, Underwater. The Lemmings would fall right to the bottom of any pools of water. And keep walking)
  • Sky (up in the clouds, with some Roman and Greek inspired architecture like columns, fountains and temples. Think Kid Icarus)
  • Hyperactive (it'd be some kind of bright colors, but by default all of the Lemmings are in Runner mode)
  • Digital (or Virtual. Haven't decided how to go with this one)
  • Industrial (various machine and factory works. I'd love to incorporate smog somehow)
Yeah yeah, it's not a full set of 12, but it was only an idea!

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
Man, that gives me more ideas! See, I've had tribe ideas pinging around inside my head, too - like a Cowboys & Indians tribe, and a Pirate tribe. :D

So, tilesets to go with them would be...

1: The Wild West, with typical tropes from Westerns for the scenery, and perhaps snakes and wayward bullets/arrows as some of the traps. :P

And...

2: Ships! You can't have pirate lemmings without a pirate ship. Lots of potential for falls from the rigging, here, as well as traps such as cannons that the lemmings can get shot out of, sending them waaaaaaaay overboard. Also, angry parrots.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:38 AM »
I saw one a while ago for Lemmini but I forget who made it. It was called Furturistic I think? It was mostly blue, like crystal but had kind of Sonic-ish vibe to it with weird crystaline trees. I think there was some kind of lazer beam trap. If I can find the video I'll post it.

I really like the "Computer-innards", underwater and sky ideas. Especially rainforest/Aztec/Maya style buildings/ruins. Reminds me of that Sonic stage. I think it's really doable in Lemmings.

An idea of mine:
Wasteland. tan ground, crumbled buildings, dead trees, fog
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Kornhead21

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I ever posted but I created a user profile some time ago on this forum and been a long time Lemmings fan. also I used to go on Lemmings Heaven (another forum) but unfortunately it no longer exist. on Youtube, I go by BizkitPark21.

anyways, I'm replying to mobius (if he still comes here) about that tileset you've mentioned.

I think I know what you're referring to and find a video link of the tileset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3R_8bwLXSY

if this is not the one you are referring to, then I apologize for providing the wrong one. anyways, have a good day.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I ever posted but I created a user profile some time ago on this forum and been a long time Lemmings fan. also I used to go on Lemmings Heaven (another forum) but unfortunately it no longer exist. on Youtube, I go by BizkitPark21.

anyways, I'm replying to mobius (if he still comes here) about that tileset you've mentioned.

I think I know what you're referring to and find a video link of the tileset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3R_8bwLXSY

if this is not the one you are referring to, then I apologize for providing the wrong one. anyways, have a good day.

that's the one! thank you.

would you have any idea how to contact jarv156?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
New tile-set idea (since this has been bumped ;) ) - Halloween.

Came to mind when I was mulling over how it's a bit of a shame that they never did any "Halloween Lemmings" demos, as they did with the Christmas ones that eventually led up to the two commercial Christmas Lemmings titles.

I know that the upcoming Lemmings Touch has a "Hell" set which has a bit of "spooky"-themed architecture in it, but that's not quite what I was thinking of, here. :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:32:57 AM »
Well, if you look over in Fan Corner, I'm working on a project which will allow you peoples to actually make your tilesets (and use them with the original games or Lemmix). =D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline arttu98

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
How about a Lego tileset?  :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
That wouldn't be possible (at least not very well) in the original games due to pallete limitations, though it'd work quite nicely in Lemmini, Cheapo or similar.

The problem is that in the original games, each graphic set is limited to 8 colors for terrain pieces, and for objects, 15 colors, of which 8 are the same as terrain pieces for the same graphics set, and the other 7 are hardcoded into the game. This is why the traditional graphic sets all tend to feature one or two primary colors; this is also true of most of Lemmings Plus II's graphic sets (to the best of my knowledge these are the only DOS-compatible custom graphic sets released so far). The Psychedelic style from LPII is the sole exception, but if you look at it, you'll notice that while it has six different colors, it doesn't have many different shades of each color - two shades each for red and green, one each for the rest. This is the tradeoff - you can either have few colors and a good variety of shades of them, or many colors but few shades of each.

There's no real reason (apart from the lack of motivation to do so from me, EricLang or ccexplore - who are the three most likely candidates to be able to do so) why Lemmix couldn't be modified to bypass these limitations while still retaining traditional mechanics, though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
a lego tileset would be great

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
even with the color limitations I don't see why a Lego set isn't possible.
Also; along those lines, it made me think of the Mario Land 2 world which is very Lego like- but also has elements of a clock's internal workings. That could make a very good tile set; clock or mechanical.

Now I just got four ideas based on the four locations from the game Myst: Mechanical, swamp (or with tall trees), barren wasteland, stone ship. Space Station (this one doesn't have anything to do with Myst.)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 02:15:48 AM »
You could do a lego set, but you'd be limited to four colors of blocks (I'm assuming you're going to want two shades of each color). In Lemmix (but not DOS games) you can also used the 7 fixed colors in terrain pieces.

(In DOS, the fixed colors will display correctly, but will be regarded by the game as non-solid. Lemmix treats them as properly solid.)
My Lemmings projects