Author Topic: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?  (Read 116180 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 12:41:40 AM »
Pieuw showed me this game Titan Quest which is really fun--it's a 3D-bird-eye-view Zelda like game with RPG elements.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
I've been playing a lot of old racing games such as the brilliant off road game that is 1nsane and other games such as POD (planet of death). Going back to the off road racing games there does not tend to be that many off road racing games out now. Anyone else on the forum that has played 1nsane very good game indeed even though it is coming up for it's 13th Birthday, that's old now ain't it.  :D

I've also been looking through a list of old dos games to see if there is anything that looks good to give a try,

BTW RHEM looks like a nice game I never heard of that one before,  :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »
Back on the first page (just over a year ago) I mentioned the DROD series. The fifth game, The Second Sky, came out just over a week ago. I have a small voice-acting role (narrator for the intro texts for some levels), and I designed two rooms that got used.

Although this game drastically increases the number of game elements, which was my main complaint about the series earlier, there are user-made low-difficulty holds that let you practise with each type of monster and learn how to manipulate them -- I particularly recommend Dan's Dungeon. There isn't yet an equivalent including the new 5.0 elements, but I'm working on building one myself.

The Second Sky is also the grand climax of the storyline continuing through the official DROD holds, and it's carried out to perfection, not to mention the awesome new graphics and music. Sorry if I sound like I'm advertising, but honestly, I think this is an amazing game and anyone here would love it. Did I mention that it includes a tribute level to Lemmings?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
I'm currently stuck into Tearaway Thomas for the Commodore Amiga, which is a high-speed, very twitch-focussed platform/collect-'em-up with some harsh time limits to keep you on your toes.

There's a video of it here, which makes it look a bit choppy, but in real life it's perfectly smooth.

It's great fun, and is actually more in line with the older arcade games like Bubble Bobble, Bomb Jack, and Rod Land, than its appearance seems to make people think! And the soundtrack's fab.

It also has mildly terrifying box-art. It's not actually bad in any way - I think it just slightly unsettles me due to the game's cute animal protagonist being rendered more like a man in a weird superhero costume, instead (it's very much in the style of the box for the C64 version of Bomb Jack, in fact). :P

This one's an underrated, little-known gem, methinks. :thumbsup:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm currently stuck into Tearaway Thomas for the Commodore Amiga, which is a high-speed, very twitch-focussed platform/collect-'em-up with some harsh time limits to keep you on your toes.
This one's an underrated, little-known gem, methinks. :thumbsup:

dang, the music on that is awesome! What is it with old games having such cool music?  :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
I'm currently p[laying a game Simon recommended called Enigma. It's a remake of Oxyd a game on the Atari ST.
Very fun and addicting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISi5G8y-yA

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »
I'm currently p[laying a game Simon recommended called Enigma. It's a remake of Oxyd a game on the Atari ST.
Very fun and addicting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eISi5G8y-yA
How have I not come across this one before? Thanks for the heads-up - will have to look into this. :D

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 05:58:48 AM »
I'm currently replaying Baldur's Gate II, playing Mass Effect 2 (and occasionally wanting to smash my fist through the screen because of certain aspects of it), and have a game of Rome II: Total War that's been on hold for a while. I'm also replaying Lemmings II: The Tribes, and have got koules to work on my Windows machine, so I'm playing that every now and again as well.

Back on the first page (just over a year ago) I mentioned the DROD series. The fifth game, The Second Sky, came out just over a week ago. I have a small voice-acting role (narrator for the intro texts for some levels), and I designed two rooms that got used.

Although this game drastically increases the number of game elements, which was my main complaint about the series earlier, there are user-made low-difficulty holds that let you practise with each type of monster and learn how to manipulate them -- I particularly recommend Dan's Dungeon. There isn't yet an equivalent including the new 5.0 elements, but I'm working on building one myself.

The Second Sky is also the grand climax of the storyline continuing through the official DROD holds, and it's carried out to perfection, not to mention the awesome new graphics and music. Sorry if I sound like I'm advertising, but honestly, I think this is an amazing game and anyone here would love it. Did I mention that it includes a tribute level to Lemmings?

I recall I began playing the first DROD game shortly before a computer crash some time back, but never got very far. Perhaps I'll give the series another look.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 01:53:20 AM »
dang, the music on that is awesome! What is it with old games having such cool music?

That's so true I loved the old video game music it does take you back in time, The atari st games I thought that had good music well it's probably going to be a big list but I will try and pick the best ones.

(The blues brothers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnhaxNr8YgE

(Ozone)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCxMwReacas

(Fast Freddy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCmWWRkjcCg

(Rampage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylT-bRocv_Q

(Para Stars)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vefe-wEKnxw

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 and I'm pretty impressed! The first one was an OK game, with a great concept but sooooo repetitive. This second installment throws away almost every flaws and adds some great new content. It takes place in Italy, mostly in two cities I visited years ago (Florence and Venice) and it's quite awesome to climb on buildings, take a look around and think "I was there!" :D

I'm also playing Heroes of Might & Magic III, one of my all-time favorite games.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »
I received a bunch of PS2 game from someone who doesn't have a ps2 anymore
Those games are
Tony hawk's project 8 and Downhill jam
Gran turismo 4
Ultimate game board collection
and the game I've been playing the most
DDR MAX and DDR supernova

I can beat Max 300 normally just not on the extra stage no matter how hard try
and im using a ps2 controller

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
I remember playing the old Tony Hawks games I managed to complete the second and third ones, they were interesting games. We've got a charity shop just down the road which is selling old PS2 games but have not had the chance to look at any yet. (I don't have a PS2 myself)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
Lemmings related I’ve played this year: Epic Adventure, MobiLems, Lix Community Level Set, Lemmings Plus III

Aaand other games I've played this year in chronological order:

FIRE FIGHT          [gameplay video]

This flight shooter game I remember from my childhood and I had searched for it for ages, and it was last spring when I finally found it by using Google image search. :P I was really happy to find it and I played it through for nostalgic reasons, but the game wasn’t as good as I remembered.

VVVVVV          [trailer]

I found out about this game through its music on September 2013 or so, and I fell in love with the soundtrack. Later on I became familiar what’s the game like and I played its demo, which can be found by some googling and I highly recommend playing the demo if you’re not familiar with the game. VVVVVV is the game that made me to create my GOG account and it’s the first game for years I’ve paid for. I played it through during my Easter semester 2014 and I absolutely loved this retro feeling puzzle platformer despite the short length of the game. The game itself is brilliant, but it ultimately arose to my alltime favourites because of the soundtrack composed by Magnus “SoulEye” Pålsson, and I recently during this year decided to consider one of the tunes, Potential for Anything, to be the very best chiptune I’ve ever heard.

RAYMAN FOREVER          [trailer]

Rayman was my favourites in my childhood even though I only played the sequel, Rayman 2, back then. I was really happy to get this game from GOG and finally play it myself through. Platformers have always been really close to my heart, and Rayman is definitely among the best ones. What surprised me is that Rayman was pretty tricky, one of the hardest 2D platformers I’ve played. It took a surprisingly lot of time from me to finish this awesome game. :)

RAYMAN 2: THE GREAT ESCAPE          [trailer]

Rayman 2 is still one of my favourite games and probably my favourite 3D platformer, and I remember that I never beated the boss of the game as a child, whereas both my siblings did. I corrected this flaw right when my summer vacation started. :) By today’s standards, Rayman 2 didn’t look that beautiful as 15 years ago, but I’ve always loved the unique world in Rayman franchise. The prequel was a lot harder than this!

SUPER MEAT BOY          [trailer]

Super Meat Boy is another game that I found out by its soundtrack. In fact, a forum member Pieuw linked me some Super Meat Boy music 1,5 years ago, and it was September 2013 when I found the music again, and I was enchanted. Again, I played the demo on the internet (which isn’t nearly as good as the demo of VVVVVV), and it was last June when I finally ended up getting this game. Super Meat Boy is the reason why I made a Steam account, and I purchased my copy from the summer sales. :) I had ridiculously high expectations for this game… and then it just topped all of my expectations. This platformer become already one of my favourite video games, and I loved the challenges it offered. I just enjoyed the game ridiculously much and the difficulty curve was super good to get me hooked all the time. I played the whole game in the beginning of June. Right now I am a fan of the composer Danny Baranowsky, who made awesome work with the whole soundtrack, Dr. Fetus’ Castle is just one example of masterpiece tunes in this game.

AVISH, STONE AGE, PUSHOVER
[Avish gameplay video]
[Stone Age gameplay video]
[Pushover gameplay video]

I found out about these puzzle games from the forums, geoo and Simon both recommended them.
I downloaded all of them from Abandonia and played half of Avish, 97 levels out of 100 in Stone Age before getting stuck, and 1/5 from the beginning of Pushover. My favourite definitely was Stone Age that captivated me, also I like the music in this game (yet again :P). Not sure when I’ll get excited about these games again.

CORPSE PARTY SERIES          [Corpse Party: Blood Covered …Repeated Fear opening]

This is a franchise that I haven’t played myself because it’s for PSP or Vita, but I found out about it when the most subscribed Youtuber played it through. I’m glad that I followed the series, it became exciting pretty quickly and the endings of the chapters of course hooked me irrevocably. Corpse Party is a horror series, that is strongly story based, and the gameplay elements are somewhat scarce, especially in other games than the RPG game “Corpse Party: Blood Covered …Repeated Fear”, which is the best and the main game in the series in my opinion. I was really obsessed with this series for like whole June-July, watching gameplay videos from every game, watching the 4-episode-anime and reading the manga (I had never before read any manga), wanting to see what’s going to happen in the storyline in all those. Corpse Party series generally increased my interest in anime, manga, even Japanese language etc. The latest installment of the series, "Corpse Party: Blood Drive", came out July 24th in Japan, and I of course didn’t want to wait for like over a year to get the game translated to English, I watched its playthrough in a live stream to get to know immediately what’s the climax of the story.

Corpse Party is a somewhat grisly and gory, heart-breaking series, and Eastern horror tends usually not to have happy endings unfortunately. The series constructs emotional bonds between the player and the characters through detailed background informations. (The anime is different in this way, because it lasts for only 4 episodes and is rushed together, you can't become attached to the characters, and it focuses a lot more in gore than games or manga. :P) I wept like a baby in many points throughout the whole series and different installments in it, and that hasn’t been too usual for me… O_o The voice acting is remarkably top-notch, and yet again I love the music, that is really fitting and identifiable for the series.

Now I have next on my to-play-list Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc and Rayman Origins, that came with the Rayman bundle from GOG. :) I also have Fez and Braid, that were suggested to me, but I have no such bonds to those games beforehand as for the other games I’ve played this year.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
Oh I remember looking at that game Stone age, I never quite understood what was to be done but now looking at the you tube video it explains it well, looks a good little puzzle game.

I decided to have a go at Chips challenge which is something I have never played before, I'm at level 59 now after being slightly addicted to playing the game, I can see how you guys think highly of chips challenge.  :thumbsup: It sure is a tough one but the thing about the game that makes it good is the levels test you out on many areas, i'e puzzle solving, dodging enemies, quick reactions and many more skills such as route finding.

As Akseli was mentioning about pushover it is a brilliant game in my opinion, I think it must of been three or four years ago my brother and I started playing through pushover again but we were taking shots each at completing the levels. (I think I won that)  :)  A long time ago I couldn't get by the aztec levels but now I can get quite far into the game, still don't think I've completed that game yet.

Another game that I have not heard get mentioned before is a little puzzle game for the Atari st called (Color Clash)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/color-clash/screenshots/gameShotId,319471/

The object of color clash is to collect all the insects around the level, sounds very easy but it's not you have to think about what moves you are going to make, also there can be some bad guys around so watch out.

I think the only way you can get this game working is by using the atari st emulator, I use (Steam st).

I managed to complete color clash about four or five years ago, if I remember correctly.  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for sharing your memories.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »
Aside from Lemmings, I'm waiting on Oddworld: New n Tasty. It's been released for PS4, but I don't have one of those. Out of the systems they've announced it for, the ones I do have are PS3 and PC...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)