Author Topic: ITT: We backroute levels before officially putting them into packs  (Read 3644 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Due to either Lemmix demons wanting to express their "creativity" again, the current level contest, or the "this obsessive interest you used to have would be fun for a while" timer in my mind going off, I want to complete ISteve11. I wrote a level for it not long ago, it's a bit of a hybrid between a few stuffs I've seen, but I'm really afraid this can be backrouted mega-easily.

So here's the thread where all the people who think their newest stroke of genius might just have a far easier route go to see if this is the case, and the thread where all the really good solvers on this board take a cursory look at said levels and go "yea, pretty much, here's a route which uses 4 fewer tasks than given and saves 2 more than required."

I'll kick this off with a level partly inspired by a bunch of things that masched themselves into a level somehow. Enjoy! I do hope you'll enjoy the inevitable v4 of this that is made as a result, though  :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: ITT: We backroute levels before officially putting them into packs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:39 AM »
good idea.

I took a look at your level and saved 100% sorry... :P no
but first impression is it's really neat! I'll try to solve it tomorrow or later sometime. It does look like it could be backrouted... we'll seeeee.

please finish ISteve 11. even though I haven't yet completed 10.. :XD: I want to see this infamous ISteve11 that's been in the works for years.

also, level of my own attached.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »
Ignore the level in the first post. I made a mistake updating it and it's not possible  :-[
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
Solved both levels and sent PMs to the respective authors. One backroute and one not - but which one? :scared:

(actually I suppose you could make a pretty safe guess from just a quick look at the levels and their skill counts)

edit: apparently public replays are ok so I attached them here

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
Solved both levels and sent PMs to the respective authors. One backroute and one not - but which one? :scared:

(actually I suppose you could make a pretty safe guess from just a quick look at the levels and their skill counts)

Ah, missed that possibility. There was also a terrain mistake in that version, so that's fixed now. You actually weren't too far off the intended solution, it was just more efficient. I changed a couple things, here's v2. Part of me wants to have three bombers and blockers as a red herring, but I'm afraid adding a third blocker might make backroutes possible.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 04:12:41 AM »
möbius: I love pretty much everything about this level. It's not that hard, but gives you a bit to think, and the skill set is minimalistic. The design is downright amazing, I love the upside down check mark, broken arch, the general clean but not plain layout! There's a hidden trap, but you notice it immediately and from then on it's clear where exactly it is. You even have a placement hint for the first builder (one for the second one would have been nice though :P).

Insane Steve: I have the feeling you just introduced more backroutes with your fix (or I just overlooked that this works also in the previous version, which I had more trouble with).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
wow, thanks.  :) both u and Clam's solutions are correct. Thaks to Steve for giving me the idea to give those placement hints. I only seem to remember to do this in brick levels for some reason. ??? maybe because brick has so many little pieces making it easy.

figures the level I think it's going to have lots of back routes doesn't have any  :XD:

edit: I guess I'll backroute proof this now or I'll just have to do it later; another level attached
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »
My solution looks pretty much intended. Again, it's a level that's not to hard but really fun to play.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
Great little multitasking level :). I really like levels where lemmings go in all different directions. There's potential for awkward moments where you need to assign skills in two places at once, but with this setup it's hard to get around, and it's not so bad because there's enough leeway on each assignment.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
Here are my solutions. Möbius -- both very nice levels, with simple and elegant solutions that are nonetheless tricky to spot. You should remake them in Lix 8) Insane Steve -- this was also fun but may be a backroute as I have a lot of skills left. I've attached my version 2 solution but I solved version 1 almost exactly the same way.