Author Topic: video game walkthroughs  (Read 2180 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
video game walkthroughs
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »
I've been considering making some video game walkthroughs. I recently bought a microphone and have no use for it.
I'd like some tips. Anyone here ever do it? How much work does it involve/is it worth the effort/ is it fun?/what should I expect?

I guess what I really want to know is; what is being an author on youtube like? I have a channel but I've only made 4 videos of random things that I'm not particularly proud of.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: video game walkthroughs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »
Rubix has made a couple videos, including the L++ and the Lix promotional video, and Stepmania records. cc has exactly one video on youtube, the one-builder challenge of Thunder-Lemmings Are Go. All are without speech.

With a table microphone or headset, you should join Mumble (will give instructions on IRC some other time) when playing Lix. The game is much funnier with voicechat.

-- Simon

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »
I'm SentinelProxima on YouTube. Most of my videos are of the Repton series of puzzle games, and I just give brief comments about my solutions in the video's infobox. (I don't like the sound of my voice, and I usually don't have enough to say to fill up a video.) However, for my XOR walkthrough I did a spoken commentary on each level.

How much work -- not much, though it depends on how good your computer is (mine finds it difficult to process the game and the recording software simultaneously, so controlling the game becomes a little jerky and I need several more attempts than I normally would). Also depends, of course, on whether you're aiming to just complete the game or show a "perfect" solution. (My video walkthrough of a "perfect game" on Iji stops midway through Sector 5 because it just became so tedious -- especially as I had already completed the challenge and had nothing to prove.)

Processing the video afterwards isn't too bad, but compressing it takes a while, so make sure you have something non-computer you can pass the time with. I recommend VirtualDub.

Yes, it's fun :) Just don't go into it expecting to get huge numbers of views or comments.

Offline Ludos_Roach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
A channel I work for (Ludos Gaming Network) make video content of game plays. We could always welcome you on the team I think (send the Youtube account owner a message there). It is pretty simple. Headset and a video editing software/recorder like FRAPS will do for all PC games.