Author Topic: Lemmini Level Pack Topic  (Read 26590 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Lemmini Level Pack Topic
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
A brand new levelpack! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I rated this strong 5 stars by difficulty in the Lemmings Level Database. This is so far the hardest Lemmini pack I know (Warning: glitches here and there :P), and it steps up even from glitchy, vicious Gronklems 6. To my mind, levels in Gronklems 6 seem to be little more visually pleasing and colourful, and that pack includes all 9 basic tilesets, which makes it even more exquisite pack. But what comes to Gronklems 7, there are gorgeous, astonishing solutions in those levels I've already solved. I'd suggest this pack for those who want to challenge themselves. I'm excited in trying to beat the whole amazing pack! :)

At the moment I think my favourite level is Industrial Park. I was so delighted when I figured it out! Another tremendous one is HELP.

I backrouted Getting Stuck in a Cave and Four Quarters recently and sent the solutions to Gronkling! Update is coming perhaps some time? :P And how nice "teaser" video there's in Gronkling's YouTube channel, it's nice and fresh to see this kind of stuff, because I think that so few have done like that for a while! :)

In addition to Gronklems 7, I know at least one another upcoming levelpack... which is going to be a huge one. It's that kind of pack which has been in progress for years and years. I'm not going to reveal more yet, let's just say that highly awesome stuff is coming!

I'm glad to see that the forums are currently so lively, and people seem to be motivated towards Lemmings!  :thumbsup:  A couple of incidents might have affected to this, like geoo's idea to arrange level contests, and rtw's idea to make a Let's Play series of a custom Lemmings pack. Let's enjoy now when we have times like these, we can't predict how long this lively period is going to last. :P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
these levels look really cool  :thumbsup:
I particularly like the Dinasour and Help levels

I probably won't get to play them real soon because I'm busy [with work and playing other level sets  ;) ], but I just wanted to let you know these look awesome. And I'll update the glitch thread with anything I find (or anybody else finds)

like your new avatar too btw.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 04:55:45 AM »
I don't plan on playing these glitch levels, but I'm still interested in seeing a replay of this pack and see the glitch and the solution in action.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
well this was long overdue; apologies. Here is major update to mobius1

Everything (including the BIG stupid mistake in Roundabout) is fixed except for Jacob's Ladder which I still don't know how to fix. I plan on re-uploading Lemmini videos as well.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »
Here comes a new Lemmini levelpack review! I guess I’ve mentioned timfoxxy’s Fox Lemmings few times in the forums. Fox Lemmings was uploaded in Lemmings Heaven site years ago, but since the site is down now, I don’t know if the levelpack is available anywhere anymore. It can be downloaded now from this post. :)

Fox Lemmings
Creator: Tim aka timfoxxy
I attached this post the original levelpack zip file which I downloaded from Lemmings Heaven.
Tim’s YouTube channel, which contains videos of Lemmings music and few of his levels.

Fox Lemmings is a 40-level Lemmini levelpack published a few years ago. Levels are familiar from Tim’s huge Van Clan Lemmings levelpack, and Fox Lemmings is some kind of Tim’s “best levels” collection pack. Here’s a link to the Van Clan Lemmings topic.

10-level packs, which belong to Van Clan Lemmings and use original Lemmings tilesets, are labeled Timpack1-Timpack11 in the Lemmings Level Database. Tim’s levels created in 'Oh No! More Lemmings' tilesets are separately in 10-level packs labeled TimpackA-TimpackF in the database. The most of Fox Lemmings levels are from Timpack1-Timpack11 packs (and there are a couple more of other levels), and all of them use 5 graphics styles from the original Lemmings.

Fox Lemmings is divided into 4 different difficulty ratings, each having 10 levels: Mild, Cunning, Wacky and Psycho. This is one of the rare Lemmini levelpacks which include a levelpack.ini-file modified by the author, so you can play Fox Lemmings unlocking the levels in order without making an ini-file yourself. :)

The Mild rating consists mostly of levels with plenty of skills, but for example, in One For Everything (Mild2) and Valley Of Fire (Mild7) you can’t mess around aimlessly with the skills, though the solutions are easy of course. You need a lot more thinking in the beginning of the Cunning rating, and then comes first endurance type level, which are characteristic to Tim. The level is Einy Meenie Mieny Moe (Cunning4), a huge dirt map, where you also need to search for a hidden exit from one of those floating dirt hills. This is the level I like the least from this pack. :P

Tim himself gave some thoughts about his own levels in this post, but the levels in this pack are chosen selectively from Van Clan Lemmings and are all certainly solvable. Fox Lemmings has eliminated the lengthiest ones of the enormous building stages. There are still some large maps, which also need a little thought for skill placements, like The Graveyard (Cunning7), City Ruins (Wacky1), The Weird Zone (Wacky7), The Neverending Staircase (Wacky10) and Wall of Nets (Psycho9).

Time management levels are typical to the Psycho rating, like Out Of Reach (Psycho1), Don’t Pop Til You Get Enough (Psycho4) and Gone Fishing (Psycho8), all having time limit of one minute. The last level of the whole pack, A Small Problem (Psycho10), surprises with 95 builders, though the play area is pretty cramped. In the end you will realize that you actually can waste too many builders in this level… and probably need to start the level from the beginning!

Some levels, which stayed well to my mind, are very simple layouts having A Slow Descent (Wacky8) and There’s Something About Lemmings (Psycho6). Levels, which left the most positive impression for me, are aforementioned Out of Reach and Blood Furnace (Psycho2). These four levels have some different, interesting elements compared to the other, usually rather mediocre levels in the pack.

So, for me Fox Lemmings wasn't too mindblowing experience, and the other Lemmings players, who have seen a lot of Lemmings, would possibly find it in the same way. I hope that possibly at least newcomer players would find fun playing it! I’d also suggest Fox Lemmings for those Lemmings players, who really want to try some of Tim’s levels, but can’t decide which packs he/she would pick at first of those many alternatives in the database, for instance.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 12:39:32 AM »
In addition to Gronklems 7, I know at least one another upcoming levelpack... which is going to be a huge one. It's that kind of pack which has been in progress for years and years. I'm not going to reveal more yet, let's just say that highly awesome stuff is coming!

This one is out now.

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
I realise that this thread is almost six months old, and I apologise for that, but I noticed that Akseli had a try of some of my levels from my original level pack.

It looks like you had alot of dislikes (or neutral) reviews to many of the levels in the pack, and that is understandable. Almost half of the levels in my collection were not actually made by me, they were made by my friend. Our team in the old days was called 'Van Clan' hence the original pack name. However, this pack that you talked about here seems to be levels that I have made (I think I pretty much seperated my levels from the whole pack).

Again I utilised alot of builders in my levels, sometimes too much. Unfortunately I am not that good at making levels without builders or with very little of them, and I am better at making cosmetic and fun/easy levels. Large maps were easier to make than small levels because I guess I am not great at 'cramping' items into a small area to create a difficult but quick level, with a few exceptions. I also made some levels that were more comedy than anything else!

Overall, I just made a bunch of levels without too much thought because my standard of 'difficult' levels is nowhere near what most addicts are used to :P

Also, I have a new location for all my levels I have ever made (including those made by my friend), now using the .lvl format, but you can easily turn the levels into Lemmini format. It is called FoxLems (the Van Clan name had been retired), so check it out :)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
I made this in september and Akseli helped me to test the levels. I guess there are still backroutes everywhere but I decided to release the pack anyway, at least a first official version of it.
So here it is : Pieuw 05.

I guess you'll recognize Utopia, this is the level I made for the level jam. All the other levels are new and waiting for you to backroute them in the most ugly way.

Important points:
- Level 4 has a major backroute that I didn't manage to fix. So it's like... ruined, but I like the intended solution and decided to keep it in the pack.
- Level 6 uses a slight glitch (not sure if it's one, but it's a little weird so...)
- Level 10 is not the hardest but it uses some glitches, that's why I put it last.
- The other levels are guaranteed glitch-free and I hope they will be fun to play.
- I have to thank Gronkling because I used his entering-lemmings-facing-left trick a lot.

Well, that's all. See you around my green-haired friends. :)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 11:14:23 PM »
Hey Tim! :) Nice that you found this review of mine about your Lemmini level pack, I was wondering what you think about it. I myself am not very proud of this review, I still think that I am a bit poor expressing myself in English, my review is so superficial (?) just mentioning plain details and I feel I can't give as deep analysis as I'd like to. :-\ I hope that people still will get a good view from my text about what's going on in your level pack, or what do you think? Of course I mentioned what I liked the most in your level pack, that stands in the two last paragraphs. Nice to see you around here still, Tim! :)

====================

Pieuw05:
I've managed to solve only levels 1, 2, 4 and 6 from Pieuw's brand new 10 level pack (during the long beta test phase and now), this is evidently one of the most difficult Lemmini packs. Level 6 was really satisfying to solve, and again it has some never seen design elements, really nice! I addition to "Utopia", I absolutely love the looks of levels 6, 8, and 9. Level 9, "Ecotone", must be my favourite level of this pack so far, even though I haven't solved it even yet! It seems a really hard glitchless level with an awesome plan that I haven't come across yet, and that landscape mesmerizes me outright - have I said that for me the aesthetics is an important issue in Lemmings levels? :P Love this kind of stuff, well done Pieuw!

So yeah, this pack is definitely worth at looking for everyone, and it offers insane challenges even for the best players, I'll guarantee that already... :XD: I'll try to fight with those remaining levels some time again, and then give more thoughts!