Author Topic: Lemmini Level Pack Topic  (Read 26587 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Lemmini Level Pack Topic
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
A new levelpack topic for keeping Lemmix and Lemmini stuff separated. I don't expect much action here, because I guess here are very few people who even use Lemmini. However, here is a topic for Lemmini levels!

Here are Lemmini Troubleshooting and Lemmini keeps asking to extract files topics for technical questions related to Lemmini.

Here is the web site of Lemmini.

For now, at least we can wait for Gronkling's upcoming levelpack, Gronklems7!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmini Level Pack Topic
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:15:55 PM »
 :) Nice. At least we can talk about Gronkling's and Piewu's levelsets here.

Plus, I think I'm going to make my new pack compatible with Lemmini, I'll try to make ini files too. (just for something different)

This is where I can ask about how to add custom graphics and music to Lemini.  :)
Seriously, how do you do that? I'm lost. :-\

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here.
My favourite player remains Lemmini. The only drawback for me is that it is quite small on a big monitor.
I plan to convert some DOS levelpacks to Lemmini. I will start with the old ones here:

http://www.camanis.net/lemmings/files/levelpacks/

Anyone interested?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »
I'm interested. However, you should note that some levels will not be convertible. As (I'll mention ISteve's because I've played some of his) some levels rely on either glitches or mechanics specific to Lemmix. Either we'll have to change some aspect of the level or leave it behind.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »
OK, before proceeding further here is a sample.
Levelpacks converted: anthpck1.zip -> anthpck7.zip

http://www.2shared.com/file/1vobROyk/anthpck.html
(press the smaller DOWNLOAD button)

In order to play them in Lemmini you should do the following:

1. Unzip the archive in your Lemmini "levels" folder.
2. Start Lemmini and choose from the menu: Level->Select Level.  There is an entry "anthpck" for the entire set.

Any comments?

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
really nice  :thumbsup: thank you.

It's really convenient to have the level.ini file. Great.  :)

I could look into noting down which levels are applicable and which are not.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
möbius: At least for custom graphics, you can just put the folder containing all the files for a graphics set (including an ini-file for that set) in the "styles" folder of Lemmini. Just like when you're adding a levelpack to Lemmini, you put it in the "levels" folder and when there's the suitable levelpack.ini-file, then you can play those levels choosing "Select Level". I've added Pieuw's castle tileset in my Lemmini so I could play his castle levels.

uci:
Welcome to the forums, uci! It's nice to hear that you like to use Lemmini too. :) Personally I like to play levels, which are meant to be played with DOS mechanics, in Lemmix, so it's not important for me to play those levels in Lemmini also. And like möbius said, Lemmini game mechanics differ to some extent from DOS mechanics, so you always need to test that those levels will work in Lemmini as supposed, if you're converting DOS packs to Lemmini.

I haven't seen that levelpack site until now. :0 It probably doesn't matter that I pressed the download button beneath the large square (above the File URL row), the pack works well in my Lemmini. The levelpack.ini-file which came with is an example how simple it can be, all the extra stuff has been cut out from that.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:50:21 AM »
Yeah, my Christmas holidays began a couple of days ago, and the Lemmings community may expect some activity from me especially on the Level Designing board next weeks. : ) At first I'd like to present and give my thoughts of a Lemmini levelpack, which I guess to be mostly unknown here. This levelpack is important for me due to a particular reason, which is related to why I am participating the Lemmings community nowadays.

The levelpack is MikauSchekzen's "Mikau's Pack 1". Mikau's levels may be familiar for those who have wandered in Youtube watching custom levels. There's a playlist called "Lemmings Custom Levels" on MikauSchekzen's Youtube channel which shows solutions for Mikau's levels. His Youtube name is "Tijmen Bok" currently.

MikauSchekzen's levelpack can be downloaded from here at the moment. I originally got his levels via asking them in Youtube, and the download link has been changed since then, and can probably change someday again. :b

The levelpack contains 47 levels divided in 4 different difficulty ratings: Mild, Spicy, Spitfire and Inferno. The first three ratings have 15 levels in each, but Mikau never completed the Inferno rating, so there are only 2 completed levels in the final rating. The download file contains a levelpack.ini-file in it, which allows one to play the levels in order in Lemmini as intended. :) Mikau has also determined certain music pieces for certain levels with the ini-file.

The 9 graphics sets from L1 and ONML are used in Mikau's levelpack. By difficulty the levels probably don't offer much for the most greatest Lemmings players, but there definitely are some nice levels. Mikau himself said that he originally made the levels to sate his creativity burst and to amuse friends.

In my opinion it's always awesome when a levelpack has different ratings and levels begin from easy and when proceeding the levels become tougher. Also, starting from the different first levels of different ratings is possible. Mikau's levelpack has very nice starter levels to my mind. The solution for Share the Love (Mild11) involves an experienced trick though, which is a little inappropriate for the difficulty of Mild rating, but fortunately the trick should be somewhat easy to comprehend. A Tribute to Skill (Mild15) is a lengthy level for beginners, but more advanced players can find a shortcut right at the beginning.

Lock and Load (Spicy6) may easily be the first level where a player needs to think to some extent for approaching the solution. Overjoyed (Spicy10) and Karoshi Factory (Spitfire13) are harmless, easy little puzzles. Rupture (Spicy4) and A Tribute to Mad Skill (Spitfire15) are strongly based on the original Lemmings game. My least favourite level of this pack is Multiple Choice (Spicy8), which is somewhat lengthy builder level. Mikau said that his friends also liked the least that level. Then there are some levels which made me pretty glad. The Barfmaster (Spitfire5) is about wise skill choices and placements, the solution for Two Wrongs Make a Right (Spitfire7) uses a delightful trick which I overlooked at first and Into the Basin (Spitfire14) has hectic and surprisingly fun messing around with builders in a lava labyrinth.

The most difficult level for me was in the second lowest rating - Long Distance (Spicy11). I'd say that this level is also the best puzzle in this whole pack. There seems to be so many ways to approach the solution, but the lack of builders cause troubles and in the end there are only few solutions for this great level. Then there's A Cold Day in Heck (Spitfire11), which has had a strong impact on me.

My personal story follows now: Almost a year ago last winter, I was searching Jazz Jackrabbit music from Youtube because I love those games and the soundtracks are just spectacular. I put "A cold day in heck" to the search bar and then it came in front of me: There was a thumbnail of a Lemmings level and the text "A Cold Day In Heck". I had to click it - and I realized that it was a custom level. I liked the video a lot, the level was named after a level in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 game and the song of that Jazz level was played in the backround of that video, and the level was also very nice-looking! So, it was really MikauSchekzen whose custom level I found at first from Youtube - after this I couldn't stop me watching custom Lemmings levels while being astonished. I remember particularly enjoying Pieuw's levels, I actually have written some similar stuff in this thread. I expressed my enthusiasm to Mikau with these words: "And I was like whaaat, a Lemmings custom level ! Since then I got A HUGE Lemmings itch again and I have now for like 9 months [currently for almost a year] watched Lemmings videos in Youtube, then I downloaded Lemmix and Lemmini and some official games from Abandonia, I registered to the forums and ... well, I've played _lots of_ Lemmings this year. Thank you so much fellow, for this nice levelpack and miraculous "A Cold Day in Heck", which sparked my love for my all time favourite pc game to be greater than ever."

Okay, now a brief summary of the whole post:

I'm presenting and commenting a not well-known levelpack of MikauSchekzen aka Tijmen Bok, he can be contacted via his Youtube channel.

Download Mikau's Pack 1.

47 levels divided into four ratings: Mild, Spicy, Spitfire, Inferno, 15 levels on the first three ratings each and 2 levels in the last one. 9 graphics sets from L1 and ONML are used. The levels are meant to be played in Lemmini, and the ini-file for that levelpack is included in download.

In my opinion overall pretty good Lemmings stuff at least for the less experienced Lemmings players, and the more advanced Lemmings people may find some levels just building and bashing through the obstacles, but there are few very nice levels also. I'd recommend this pack for those who like to play a bigger Lemmini levelpack and don't want to play super hard levels.

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »
Happy New Year!

Here is a Lemmini level for you:

Download here:
http://www.2shared.com/file/i8GmRkzQ/2013.html

WARNING: This site uses a download manager called "iLivid", which is suspected malware. Do the research and use at your own risk.
- Clam

It uses Christmas style. Some of you may have it, but for convenience I included it inside the pack. Enjoy.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the level and Christmas style also, uci. :) I have a replay solution for that level if someone's interested.

Alright, it's time for another Lemmini levelpack review! Now I am going to present Gronkling's most fresh levelpack Gronklems6. Very briefly a couple of words about Gronkling's other Lemmini packs:
- Both Gronklems3 and Gronklems4 are strongly backrouted at the moment (I couldn't backroute at all only the first levels of both packs), and Gronkling might fix them someday when he has enough time and will for that.
- Gronklems5 has been recently nearly reviewed level by level on Custom Level Review Game.

Gronklems6
Creator: Gronkling
Here you can get Gronklems6.
Gronkling's YouTube channel, which features the intended solutions for all Gronkling's levels. Don't watch them if you don't want your fun to be spoilt!

Gronklems6 is a 10-level Lemmini pack published last year. All levels are pretty small and short, and 4 levels have 1 minute as a time limit and the rest 6 levels 2 minutes. A quick pack to play through? Not at all - be prepared for an insanely fiendish levelpack.

List of levels:
1. Unclimb that Cliff!
2. Lemming Storage Facility
3. Mystery Machine
4. Balancing Act
5. Ancient Clockwork
6. Radioactive Lemmings!
7. LEM.avi
8. Just Over the Hill
9. Emerald City!
10. Bring it Together!

Gronkling said that he wanted to put it all to the difficulty of his newest pack. Various tricks and glitches are typical for this levelpack. I'd say this pack is most technical Lemmini pack I know, and like I mentioned some time ago in Lemmix Level Pack Topic, Gronklems6 presents some glitches I hadn't ever seen before. I think Gronkling is some kind of pioneer making levels which use unintuitive behaviour and game physics specific to Lemmini. I'm not sure if any of Gronklems6 levels are beatable in DOS/Lemmix, but at least levels 1, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 10 should be impossible without Lemmini game mechanics.

I probably wouldn't have even beated this pack yet if it didn't have so many backroutes. Levels 1 and 3 are the only ones which remain original still, all the others I beated in more or less easier ways. In some levels backroute fixing might be visible making them a bit less good-looking and solutions less hidden, but that's definitely better than playing the original versions of levels, when a player would never find the spectacular intended solutions solving levels very cheaply. LEM.avi is the most backroute fixed and there surely are more backroutes still for that level. Other 9 levels should work well.

The starter level Unclimb that Cliff! is immediately what this pack is about. Layout is simplistic but the solution is tough to find out. Lemming Storage Facility has some very clever methods, and Mystery Machine is worth of its title. The easiest levels of this pack are probably Balancing Act and Ancient Clockwork, which I also find very pleasant puzzles. Radioactive Lemmings! is a great one-of-each-skill level with a very strange entrance order. I haven't seen that in any other Lemmings level and I didn't even know that was possible. LEM.avi is a backroute prone puzzle of 4 lemmings, and Just Over the Hill and Emerald City! turn out to have terrific solutions despite having simplistic layouts. The last level of Gronklems6 is unfair, near impossible Bring it Together!. It's some sort of summary of the earlier levels. The first 9 levels seem very tame after this completely mad chaos.

Levels are quite recognizable by design to be Gronkling's levels. Many levels, like Mystery Machine and Balancing Act, have chaotic design with countless details which I somehow like. Emerald City! has a delightful idea and design. The title also fits very well here now, what I little bit disagreed with Brick City (Gronklems5 level 4). : )

Even though I know how these levels are solved, I still had some troubles when playing this pack through while ago. Many of the tricks and glitches need pixel precision, and time limits of some levels are quite strict preventing backroutes. So, in some cases there is execution pressure, and when a trick or strategy finally works, it feels rewarding. Some levels might test player's patience, especially the ferocious Bring it Together!. Gronklems6 levels are considerably satisfying to solve.

Gronklems6 is very interesting and definitely the most difficult Lemmini pack I know, and I gave it strong 5 stars by difficulty at the Lemmings Level Database. This pack resembles somewhat tseug's pack in my opinion, both packs having highly difficult little levels with short timers and using different kind of tricks along a couple of genious, more fair levels. Gronklems6 will challenge even the most advanced players, so I recommend this pack for those who have lots of experience playing Lemmings.

Offline rtw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
Hello,
This seems like the place to ask; apologies if it isn't....

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can procure a working copy of Dodochacalo's DoveLems pack. I tried getting it from the link on his YouTube channel and unless I'm missing something, I'm fairly certain the level packs—for whatever reason—don't come with the levelpack.ini file you need to run them in Lemmini. I was really looking forward to do a Let's Play of that level pack on YouTube, seeing as I've already done Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings in the past. If anyone can point me in the direction of that I'd be greatly obliged, as I'm coming off the end of one series and really want to do this for my next one if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
Hello,
This seems like the place to ask; apologies if it isn't....

Many thanks in advance.

It was designed to use the 'load level' feature but I have a modified pack that runs like a built-in pack that I have attached to this post. (Put it in the levels folder of the lemmini folder)

Offline rtw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
Oh my goodness, thank you so much. You have made me (and many of my subs) a happy fellow.

EDIT: If you like, I can post a link to the series once it gets up and running (should be tomorrow now that everything is in working order). I'll give you credit as well.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »
Hey rtw, and welcome to the forums! :) This definitely is a place to ask that kind of questions, and I'm very happy to see now that we have a topic specified for Lemmini levels, people pop up here asking stuff what they might not have dared to ask without a Lemmini topic. It's a great pleasure to help new people! :)

That's true that most Lemmini packs don't feature levelpack.ini-files. So far I know that MikauSchekzen's and timfoxxy's Lemmini packs (and now also uci's remakes of anthpck packs) include the ini-file, but I can't think of any other. It's a little bit shame, because I find it most fun playing levels in order always unlocking the next level when proceeding. I've copied ini-files from original Lemmings game and then manually re-written ratings, level names etc. suiting for custom levelpacks. DoveLems is the largest Lemmini pack I know, and it took some time when I made my ini-file for that pack. :)

But that was totally worth it! DoveLems is my alltime favourite Lemmings levelpack and I'm really excited to hear that you're going to play and make YouTube videos of it! :thumbsup: I noticed that Gronkling's copy of DoveLems is 1,5 years old but that shouldn't matter too much. You see, Dodochacalo is very willing to update his levelpacks even for minor issues. I have an ini-file for the most updated version if someone needs it.

The only reason why I haven't mentioned Dodochacalo's levels here yet is that his packs are so excellent, but there are still some backroutes (a notable amount especially on the higher tier levels), and I've somehow thought that I'd advertise Dodochacalo's levels when they're somewhat backrouteless, so people playing them would get the best possible feeling of his levels. I might have a little perfectionist nature in some strange cases like this. Dodochacalo's backroute fixing project is though proceeding quite slowly due to huge amount of levels and his busyness. But yeah, of course I encourage you to play his levels! :thumbsup:

Gronkling, did you like my review of your pack? I find a little bit frustrating that I probably can't express myself so deeply that I'd like because English isn't my native language, but I'll always try my best when I write something here.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:42 AM »
I set up my Lix hotkeys for Lemmini now using AutoHotKey, but I still have to figure out why Lemmini is so awfully sluggish on my machine (way too slow and then sudden frame skips). Perhaps I should just try my other laptop with it.

Anyhow, once I get this done, I really got the feeling now I should have a look at Dovelems. Just had a glance at the first level from each stage, and by my first impression they definitely seem well designed.
I seem to recall Pieuw made a big 4x20 (or something like this) level set too, didn't he? All I can find however in my folders are 3 sets of 10 levels, then again I probably didn't check out most stuff for Lemmini.

Your review calling Gronklems6 an analogue of tseug's pack for Lemmini got me intrigued now too, Akseli. I suppose I should read up on Lemmini glitches first though, if I ever want to attempt this. Btw, reading your posts, I think your English is really good. To me there's rarely anything that gives away that you're not a native speaker (then again, I'm not a native speaker either, so who am I to judge...)