Author Topic: guess the Lemmings level game  (Read 35155 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
guess the Lemmings level game
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
I think this may belong in "forum games" instead, except it's not quite so random like the games there. :-\ Admin feel free to move the thread as appropriate.

The objective is to come up with a a few phrases or sentences that form some sort of riddle/clue to a specific level in a Lemmings games.  (I have in mind the kinds of clues you may see in a crossword puzzle, but feel free to be creative, while avoiding being too straightforward or convoluted.)  The next person guesses the level, identifying it by the level name, and then post a riddle/clue to some other level. 

Rules for the riddle/clue:

• Avoid all words from the level title, including derived words such as synonyms (ie. same meaning words or phrases), grammatical derivatives (ie. "lines", "linear" from "line"), compound words & word embeddings (ie. "outline" from "line"), etc.  I suppose some exceptions can be made for really generic words like "a", "the" etc.  As it's just a game, use common sense and just stick to the spirit of the rule.
  • Banned words (including derived words as above) that must never be used: lemming, any species of rodents, climb, float, block, bomb, explode, bash, build, mine, dig
Rules for taking turns:

I forgot how exactly it was done in the past in these quiz games, but after guessing the answer to a riddle/clue, please wait for up to 24 hours for the riddle/clue poster to confirm your guess as correct or not.  If confirmed, or if no respond after 24 hours, only then should you go ahead and take your turn to post the next riddle/clue.  I guess we can also move on if there were no correct guesses after 24 hours.

[updated: you may also call "open floor" if it's your turn but you don't want to come up with the next riddle/clue.  In that case anyone can come up with the next one, and the game will continue whatever's posted first]

Avoid repeating levels that have been used already.  As it's just a game, I don't want to actually keep track of exactly which levels were used previously, so let's just say don't repeat a level until at least 5 other levels have come into play.

For now we will stick with Lemmings 1 levels.  We can propose to move on to levels from other Lemmings games when it becomes too repetitive to not do so.

=========================

Here's my clue/riddle to start off:

clue: "perfect to those with outstretched arms"

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: guess the Lemmings level game
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »
as I think about it more, some clarifications on the current rules:

- I think it might be too hard to be strict about the "no synonyms of any words in level title" rule without making the clues too awkward or convoluted in some cases.  So take that as a suggestive guidance, but don't get too worked up over it if you can't come up with something reasonable without some sort of breaking of that rule.

- Since levels are to be identified by name, all four "We All Fall Down" count as the same thing, as do the two "Just a Minute" (so yeah, don't worry about having to guess the "Part 2"; it's not that hard or interesting anyway.)  [edit: I guess also "A Beast of a Level" and "...BeastII..."]

[edit: see OP for "open floor"]

I may add more here later as needed to improve the game.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
Here's my clue/riddle to start off:

clue: "perfect to those with outstretched arms"

I think the answer to that is "Tailor-made for blockers", isn't it?

====================

How about this riddle. I hope this one makes sense to you:

clue: "Which area of McDonald's do chefs work?"
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:32:44 PM »
The Fast Food Kitchen.

Next clue:

Plvom

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
Hmm, seems like the most likely guess is "Rhapsody in Blue", but that's not a Lemmings 1 level as I stipulated. ??? (We can expand it to all lemmings levels now rather than later if people think it'll be more fun, although I still wasn't expecting custom levels in the mix, if only since they can be hard to look up).

[edit: hmm, Google also found this rather obscure (and technically misspelled) reference: http://dragcave.net/view/PIvom, so I'll also guess "What an AWESOME level"? ???]

(And yes, minimac's answer to my clue is correct.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
It is a Lemmings 1 level, and it's not "What an AWESOME level"  8)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:59:11 PM »
Hmm, having exhausted all serious possibilities, I'd like to say it's either "not as complicated as it looks" or "easy when you know how". ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
Neither of those. Let's see if anyone else can get it, then :D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
Oh okay, "Upsidedown World".  Nice one. ;P

next clue:  what Mr. Wilson thinks of the boy next door

[sidenote: should we limit number of guesses per person? how many?]

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
MENACING!!!

next clue: Zeroes and heroes? Sounds like fruit!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:52:32 AM »
Diet Lemmingaid?

I know I said I'm terrible at these games but what the hell. I'm going to guess one time each post.

Also @ccexplore: your avatar is not loading properly.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:14 AM »
cc's avatar image comes directly from asdfasdf.ethz.ch (which hosts the Lix site and some of my random stuff), and that seems to be down right now. If it's not back up in a couple days, I'll message tarzeau. Alternative source for the image, even though it's rotating much slower:

I'll guess Origins and Lemmings, but probably möbius's guess is better.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »
Hmm, normally I would change the URL to the one you used above, but on the other hand it seems a good idea for my avatar to serve as a monitor to the health of asdfasdf.ethz.ch.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
Simon is correct  :thumbsup:

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
Clue: In contrast to the ban against any species of rodent, bacteria are allowed.

-- Simon