Author Topic: No Builders  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
No Builders
« on: August 16, 2012, 03:53:30 AM »
To me, I think coming up with a decent solution for a level with no builders is harder. Especially when you want to build a big level with a solution that doesn't use it. Have you ever made a level that has builders at zero? I have an old Crystal level in the PSP version that I rebuild into Lemmix that has zero builders. You can post your levels that has no builders. No training levels. Those are easy to make with no builders.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: No Builders
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
While not for Lemmix, there are definitely some highly memorable no-builder levels (and more generally, no-constructive-skills levels) made here that I still remember.  For example geoo (or was it Simon)'s "little miner puzzle" levels in the Lix community set is great, and Clam made this Lemmings 2 custom level, "what a twist!", that is possibly the most awesome level to feature just one skill total (granted, we're talking one of those fan-driven skills in Lemmings 2, and there is also an automatic filler dispenser, so okay, maybe not quite "no-constructive-skills").

I guess the main thing with making big no-builder levels is that you are sort of forced to add in a whole bunch more terrain that the lemmings can meaningfully destroy, whereas with builders, you can just leave open some areas of emptiness that they can do their building at.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »
The essence of the "no-builder" challenge is that the builder in L1 is vastly more versatile than the other skills. It's your only means of crossing gaps of any kind, and also does various other things that are hard to do otherwise in L1, like turning around, stopping diggers, and crowd control without losing lemmings. Later games provide numerous other skills and devices that help your lemmings get around, so even though the builder has the same functionality in L2 and Lix, it's not the "crutch" it tends to be in L1. So while the no-builder challenge isn't unique to L1 (ccexplore's Lix examples show that), you do have to exclude a lot more skills/objects to get the same challengey feeling in other Lemmings games.

I wouldn't consider "What a twist!" as a no-builder challenge. It's really a completely different style of level to what you can have in L1. That's not to say it's not a good level of course ;) (though I'll leave judging exactly how good it is to others).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
I did have only a few ideas up my sleeve for "no builder" challenges, however these are small levels as well. You do raise a good point Luis. It is quite rare to get a long level without builders (well, I do remember "Look before you leap", which was a fairly long level without builders).

As this is the Level Designing board, I will share my creations of "No Builder" levels too. :) A few years ago I made a brick level called "The Structure" and an Xmas level called "Dugout".
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
The classic no-builder level that has to be mentioned is "To The End!" (Lemmings Plus DOS Project - 15 - Psycho (Part 3) Level 8 ). A Cheapo remake -- which geoo's Little Miner Puzzle levels also are.

I haven't done very many builderless levels -- one that's bombers only; one that's just Fun 8, i.e. turning around without builders; a couple with platformers but no builders. (Among these, "Halfway Down the Stairs" is to an extent notable, considering that you have to go up, and the single platformer doesn't help much with that. In my solution, I use the platformer merely to stop a basher mid-stroke.)

Möbius's two-player version of Compression Method 1 is (like the original) builderless, which makes for a very interesting experience quite unlike the normal run of 2P levels.

Very nice levels, minimac! Not too tough but not easy either.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
Builder skill clearly seems to be the most essential skill in Lemmings games, there are very few levels which lack builders. Here is a list of builderless levels in some official games:

Original Lemmings

Fun 1-6 are builderless tutorial levels
Fun 13/Tricky 2/Taxing 30/Mayhem 11: We all fall down
Fun 18: Let's block and blow
Tricky 15: Ozone friendly Lemmings
Tricky 16: Luvly Jubly
Tricky 17: Diet Lemmingaid
Taxing 6: Compression Method 1
Taxing 19: Bomboozal
Mayhem 4: The Crossroads
Mayhem 16: Just a Minute...
Mayhem 24: All or Nothing
Mayhem 27: Just a Minute (Part Two)

Oh No! More Lemmings

Crazy 1: Quote: "That's a good level"
Wicked 1: LeMming ToMato KethcUp fAcilitY
Wicked 7: Last Lemming To Lemmingscentral
Havoc 20: LOok BeFoRe YoU LeAp!

Xmas/Holiday Lemmings

Xmas1992 1: Jingle Lemming
Hail 6: Surprise Package?
Blizzard 12: The Voyage Home...
Blizzard 14: The Undiscovered Country

Official Companion demo

Fun 1: Digger Conversions
Tricky 2: Lemming Excavation
Tricky 4: The Pipeline

Genesis/MegaDrive Lemmings

Fun 14: Room with no exit
Fun 21: Lemmings in the attic
Tricky 12: Go out for a walk?
Tricky 27: Everyone turn left
Tricky 30: Don't follow me.
Taxing 13: Walk through here but cautiously
Present 7: Everyone turn Left!
Present 8: Libra (Part two)
Present 10: Where are you heading?
Sunsoft 1: Rules to Fall
Sunsoft 6: Libra
Sunsoft 7: Everyone turn left (Part two)
Sunsoft 26: Just a minute (Part Three)
Sunsoft 27: Two heads are better...

Lemmings Revolution has also 13 builderless tutorial levels and then Kriss Kross, Bamboo Maze and Odd Jobs. There's still switchs, teleports etc. stuff which make builder skills less essential in this case.

It seems that the builderless levels are quite small in official games, the most lengthy is Havoc 20. Holiday level 'The Voyage Home...' and Official Companion level 'The Pipeline' are large maps, but there are lots of walking in those levels.

I know a lot of builderless custom levels made by some great level makers, I'll list the best of them too soon if it's ok, there are some lengthy levels also.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »
no builders often makes you come up with unusual ways of getting to places and turning lemmings around. e.g. Tsueg's 'Rush Hour'. I like builderless levels, personally. Just because builder is the most used skill.

Thanks a lot for that list Akseli! :thumbsup:
I forgot Bamboo Maze had no builders.  Anyway--this topic give me some more inspiration to make new levels. :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:47 AM »
I too tend to like builderless levels, and spotting these was actually rather exciting. :) Here are some builderless custom levels listed like this:
"Creator
Levelpack: title of a level"

Builderless levels of some great Lemmix level makers:

BulletRide
BulletRide1: Ignition
BulletRide3: Just a Reverse Minute
BulletRide5(ver3): Cut to the Quick

Clam Spammer
ClamSpam01: Dig This!
ClamSpam02: Cut the Red Wire, Get Out of the Pool!, A.T. on an Angle, Stay Out of the Pool!!!
ClamSpam03: Barrel o’ Laughs, Turning the Screws, The Dying Seconds
ClamSpam04: Flotilla, Dropout, From the Brink
ClamSpam05: The endless steps (a large builderless map)
ClamSpamXmas10: A.T. on a shoestring
- Also 8 builderless challenge levels in CSTame packs

Ellischant (Eymerich)
E3Levelpack_F: Minimal Trouble

finlay
finpak01: Chrysanthemum paradise

Garjen (J. Gareth Moreton)
GARJEN09: Faithful Friends

geoo
geooPk0: crossing stairs
geooPk1: More 'No Builder Problems'
- Also 4 builderless glitch levels in geooPkG pack

-H0ru5-
elfpak01: Fortress 13 (a large builderless map)

Insane Steve
ISteve03: A Towering Proposition
ISteve06: It's Hammer Time!
ISteve07: The Annoying 1-pixel Gap, Bash and no time (the first one is a LAAAAARGE builderless map)
ISteve08: I Traded Them for Climbers
ISteve09: A BeastIV of a level, Undermined, NO MAS!

Martin Zurlinden
MazuLems: Fallout Boys

namida
Lemmings DOS Plus Project: Just Walk!, Take Your Time…, Blow Down!, Fast enough?, Ready, Aim, Fire!!!, Safety Blast, Fallen, The Lonely Pole, Six Feet Under, Backdraft, Unholy Staircase, With A Quirk Or Two…, Antigravity, Phase Rotation Syndrome, The Deadly Climb, To The End! (the last one, which Proxima already mentioned, is an excellent example of a difficult, large builderless level)

siergiej
Siergiej01: Tower of insomnia, The ephemeral labyrinth, The scaffold (the last one is a quite lengthy level)

Thick Molasses (möbius)
TM pack 1: Afraid of Heights
TM3: A Towering Tower

tseug
1tseug: Rush Hour (well, möbius already mentioned this)

Yawg
Yawg06: Turn it Around!

Builderless levels of some Lemmini level virtuosos:

Dodochacalo
DoveLems: Plain rating levels 1-5 and 7 are builderless tutorial levels, Disappearance ?, Bashers are Back !, It’s Not an Illusion !, Lemmings-Digging Iron Plates, Molotov Cocktail and Co, Art of Mining, It’s an Evil Symphony !, One-Way Traffic, La France, Imposing Block
FranLems: Doux rating levels 1-3 are builderless tutorial levels, Art Moderne

Gronkling
Gronklems5: Drifting Away…, Optical Fibre Land

Lacktardo
There's no eye in team (doesn't belong in any levelpack as far as I know)

Pieuw
Pieuw01: Bricky Madness, Descent into Hell
Pieuw02: The Magic Box
30levelspack(Pieuw): Hugs & Kisses, The Drowning Walk
- Other builderless levels by Pieuw that don't belong in levelpacks: Triumph For Their Magic Picks, Off-Centered but yet in Focus, Straight Forward

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
Nice research there Akseli :)

---

So there are good no-builder levels of course, but you also have no-builder challenges on levels that give you builders. These can be more exciting in some cases, because you don't know in advance whether it's even possible. Fun 29 springs to mind, but there are plenty more in the "skills you can't live without" challenge. (Sorry, Tame 13 needs one builder so doesn't count :P)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
I'm honoured you think i'm a "great" level maker ??? that's not a particularly "great" level though, it was something i threw together with only bombers – it's all obnoxious bomber timing/hidden trap ideas.

the level I posted here: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=563.msg11839#msg11839 is a better example of a builderless level that I've made, I think. I can't remember if I released it as a pack or if it was only as a single level file though. It has some placeholder name like "it's a long way to the top".

anyway i should check back in here more often, i think.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
Not quite builderless, but attempting to solve Danger 29 (Pipeline Problem) with only one builder is a LOT harder than any of the builderless levels; To The End included.

Also worth noting that the most recent version of LPDOS removes at least one of the levels mentioned in your list (Phase Rotation Syndrome), possibly more. (EDIT: Also removed is "The Lonely Pole". In both cases, the new levels replacing them are not builderless.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
Welcome back, namida, we haven't seen you around in a while :)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
finlay: I didn't remember the hidden traps in Chrysanthemum paradise and I realized why: I played finpak01 in CustLemm months ago and no one of the hidden traps worked. Now I tried the level in Lemmix - and it was more annoying, I admit. :P But I liked your other levels, especially "Fiery Depths", and the idea when making the list was that I wanted to gather many different types of level makers and levels in it.

namida: Yep, builderless levels The Lonely Pole (Medi 16) and Phase Rotation Syndrome (Danger 21) aren't included in the latest version (v.7) of LPDOS, they exist only in the earlier versions.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:21:56 PM »
Here's an idea for a builderless level in the Crystal theme.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
I got a bit excited there, but ended up feeling disappointed. :( For some reason that idea is terribly shallow and the only exciting bit is that the solution demonstrates a glitch (which can be seen here). I'm sure this level can be improved in some way.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3