Author Topic: Version Differences  (Read 24430 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Version Differences
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
[I realize something like this has already been done on other sites but I didn't see anything like it here and I wanted to go into more detail. Obviously; this is not finished.]

here's where you can compile information on the differences between all the many, many versions of Lemmings games. In this first post I will have only Lemmings 1, the original.
feel free to contribute or make corrections.
I'll do other games later if there's enough information on them
============

Amiga
-intro with balloon and mountains and music
-cursor is unique and waiting cursor is a lemming sleeping.
-menu screens are greenish/black
-background color is navy.
-you can scroll the screen at different speeds
-selecting a skill or changing the RR while paused; NOT possible.
-many levels have liquid across all or most of the bottom of the level
-max # Lemmings 100
-two player mode. One of the few version to support two mice.
-right click to invert worker/walker selection priority
-no directional priority
-brown skill bar
-when you change the RR the pitch goes up like a bottle filling up with water
-first version with a voice for the lemmings (as heard in the video in a link posted here http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=456.0, the original voice of the Lemmings was one of the creator's mother. (this is the only version with this voice maybe not.)
-lemmings make a sound when they fall off the bottom of the screen
-At the end of game there is a congratulations screen with DMA design team applauding sounds and portraits.

DOS
-title screen is changed
-no intro movie
-no custom cursor
-menu screens are brownish/black
-background color is black for the rest: unless mentioned background color is black
-screen only scrolls at constant speed (somewhat faster than Amiga's slowest speed)
-Max # of Lemmings reduced to 80
-music is different and re-arranged
-lemmings walk slightly (very slightly) slower
-Levels which have liquid across all or most of the bottom of the level have the liquid removed.
-sound effects changed. Lemmings don't have a voice, just SFX.
(on a side note: the sound of lemmings splatting was very similar to the sound of the drums in some songs, making it confusing to tell if lemmings were or were not dying somewhere in the level. And the song 'little doggy in the window' sounds like fart sounds)
--lemmings make NO sound when they fall off the bottom of the screen
-slight graphics changes (e.g. directional arrows in Marble are red instead of blue which they are in most other versions)
-the skills bar is green
-some new glitches present (see Lemmings glitches thread)
-no two player mode (all the rest unless noted also removed 2 player mode)
-several levels have reduced save requirements: Fun 15, Taxing 22, Mayhem 4, Mayhem 15, Mayhem 26 
-some levels have a change of skills *Proxima^
-no directional priority
-no sound for changing the RR
-no DMA congratulations screen with pictures at end game. Just a message.

Atari ST
-menus are similar to Amiga
-max # Lemmings 100
-graphics very close to Amiga (the closest of any version)
-music and sound effects are remixed, yet again. (the sound of lemmings going home sounds a lot like Mario jumping!)
-changing the RR makes noise but doesn't change pitch
-title screen similar to Amiga
-brown skill bar
-uses a different set of passwords for levels
-you had to use a joystick for player 2 in the two player game
*contributed by finlay
-game speed is slightly faster [needs verifying]
-intro same as Amiga but with no sound
- Mouse cursor is only the "Zzz" bubble of the Amiga version's cursor when something is loading.
- You can scroll the screen at different speeds too.
- You can change skills while paused by using the Z and X keys. I don't know if it's the same thing for the Amiga, but I think it is. However, you cannot change the release rate while paused and it may be painful. You also cannot pause the game using the keyboard.
- Right-click for worker/walker priority
- Lemmings are silent when they fall off the screen.
- Background colour is navy.
- At the end of game there is a congratulations screen with DMA design team applauding sounds and portraits.
*contributed by DragonsLover

ZX Spectrum
-The graphics are ridiculously insane!
see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0g1tv1gXvk
-the graphic sets are completely different and basically an approximated attempt to resemble the originals.
-there are some major changes in level design. The last level looks like a shortened/altered version of 'Watch out! Traps about'. Many levels have alterations to make them smaller and sometimes more interesting.
-there's only 60 levels. And the levels are re-arranged.
-there's no mini-map
-there's no steel
-there are no animated traps (except water).
-Sound effects are different as well as music. In the video above the same song plays throughout  the entire game, Idk if this is intentional or not.
-game play is much slower
--some embarrassing glitches caused because of the graphics (see Origins and Lemmings in that video). If that is a even a glitch at all.
-when a basher starts bashing a large chunk of terrain can be removed behind him.

Sega Master System

-Max# of Lemmings 20
-Major graphic changes. Graphics are arranged in a large grid making some levels difficult thus, they weren't included; "Save Me" is an example.
-major music/sound changes
-some level design changes mostly due to difference in graphics.
-game speed is slower

Sega Genesis
-slight graphics changes
-max # Lemmings: 100
-the overall screen size is shortened a great deal
-many levels are drastically changed due to ^
-many levels are removed and replaced with new ones and a few remakes of Oh no More Lemmings [only levels from Crazy]
-two totally new categories with mostly all new levels except one OONL remake
-game play is slightly faster
-deadly fall height difference (is it higher or lower?)
-steel works different; even more glitchy than previous versions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipvDLK0pOU&feature=relmfu
-has two player mode
-two "hidden" test levels (see this thread http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=547.0

Commodore 64
coming soon!

Super Nintendo
[according to Lemmings Encyclopedia the NES version came out AFTER the Super Nintendo version ???]
-max # Lemmings 100
-Level arrangement same as PC with a few exceptions. An extra rating is at the end of the game with # levels from the Genesis version.
-game lags when many lemmings present on level.
-new glitches present (possible weird builder/digger/blocker behavior)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNWt2IB8MsY

Nintendo
-Max # lemmings: 14

Phillips CD-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0Goami6ie_E&feature=fvwp

-A CD-I like cartoon intro (familiar if you’ve seen the similar intros to games like Mario and Zelda series on CD-I)
-similar to Amiga version in music line up, graphics, skill bar etc…
-Atari ST cursor (Zzz but no sleeping lemming)
-remixed music
-by a strange coincidence; this version actually seems to have a pause in between song loop, which I mentioned incorrectly about Atari ST. And takes a while for the song to start (at least it's present in the first level the only available place to see in that video unfortunately)
-RR makes noise but doesn’t change pitch
-lemmings have a voice. I wanna say the voice is the mother from Amiga It sounds close.
-messages after completing the level are different. [e.g. “WOW, you saved every lemming. TOTALLY EXCELLENT!”]
^this is something I haven’t looked at, at all on other versions.
-codes look the same as Amiga and DOS.
-game goes slightly slower.
-Surprisingly, aside from the standard bad Phillips controller, the game doesn’t appear to suffer from the gross butcher job they did with Mario and Zelda. If I had a Phillips CD-I I would definitely get Lemmings. (Probably the only game I would get :P)
no info yet on controls such as directional selection and such

Sega Game Gear

Gameboy

Mac
- High-res graphics (with occasional large effects on gameplay, e.g. Mayhem 26)
- Max # of Lemmings reduced to 80
- music is very similar to Amiga *finlay
- Tricky 21 replaced with "Going Their Separate Ways" (by the way, if you have the original levels for Lix, this one is in the Genesis Tricky folder)
- fast forward
- clock runs slower, making Mayhem 16 and 27 really easy
- steel is detected more easily, with noticeable effects on some challenges (e.g. Taxing 6 100% is impossible; Crazy 1 100% is much easier)
-select skills and RR while paused
- The scrolling text on the menu has elements of humorous self-deprecation (it talks about the 'elevator music'!)
contributed by Proxima
-the design of the hell exit is different *Guy Perfect

Acorn Archimedes

- Logo splash-screens for Psygnosis and Krisalis Software (the company that made the port).
- The scrolling text on the menu has elements of humourous self-deprecation (it talks about the 'elevator music'!)
- Remixed music, including a few unique tracks.  Of the four special levels, only the music for MENACING resembles the original.
- Lemmings make a sound when they fall off the screen.
- Changing the release rate causes the pitch of its sound effect to also change, like in the Amiga version.
- Animation seems to be extremely smooth in comparison to other versions.
- Many levels have large expanses of water at the bottom, like the Amiga version.
- No two-player mode.
- No directional select.
- Background is dark blue with (mostly) white text.
- Passwords are meaningful and easier to remember (e.g. "DOUBLEDUCK" is Fun 22, and "LEMMGFINAL" is Mayhem 30).
- Release rate behaves differently (notably, a release rate of 1 spaces the lemmings out nearly twice as far compared to other versions).
- Levels closely resemble their original Amiga counterparts (e.g. "The Fast Food Kitchen" has a time limit of 2 minutes).

On an extra note, the Archimedes version of Oh No! More Lemmings has a very large array of music tracks: 26, compared to the Amiga's 6.
contributed by Crane

Windows 95
-ONML included
-no intro
-Max # Lemmings: 80
-remix of music and sound effects. songs in MIDI format.
-includes Oh No More Lemmings!.
-the same music from the Original levels is used for the ONML levels. The ONML songs are not included.
-graphics and some other general things seem to indicate it was modeled after the DOS version. (e.g. no water across the bottom of levels)
-this might be the first version with a "yippee" instead of the boing sound upon entering home.
-added "action phrases" like CLANK appear above lemmings in game
-some graphics changes (they gave it some kind of goodie-goodie treatment, removed the horns from the exit on the hell set. I'm sure this also accounts for all the 6's)
-some songs removed (March of Days, 'little doggie in the window' and songs that go with the special levels)
-some levels removed: all the 6's, all of the 'special terrain' levels, We all Fall Down Part 1
-deadly fall height lowered. Most notable on levels We all Fall Down and Steel Works. (We all fall down can be completed by doing absolutely nothing!)
   **on the version that was bundled with Lemmings Paintball, this glitch is fixed on "We All Fall down" but curiously, not on "Steel Works".
-a fast forward button
-ability to select level manually in tree system (no more codes)
-miner tunnels looks different ('steps' are more pronounced)
-direction priority selection
-no worker/walker priority selection
-some glitches are fixed and some new present (see glitches thread)
-select skills and RR while paused
-the entire screen is slightly larger than the original levels, making a small gap at the end visible in a level where terrain covers the whole level.

Play Station (1)
-unique opening animation
-graphics and music similar to Windows
-ONML included
-The music was like the Windows version but rendered in high quality and recorded as CD tracks instead of being kept as MIDI files.
*finlay

PSP
-scenic background on every level
-graphics very different. Much higher resolution/better looking and more detailed. Below is a list of a more proper name for them:
pillar - egyptian
marble - roman
crystal - chemical plant? (open to suggestion)
dirt - dirt
hellfire - hellfire
-removes some levels while adding some new ones
-lemmings walk slower
-many levels have more time to compensate for ^
-new voices for lemmings and new phrases. (e.g. lemmings say something every time I skill is assigned)

=======user made games=======

Lemmix

Lemmini
-fall height difference (lower than original?)
-fixed most of steel glitches
-
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Version Differences
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
Mac
- I haven't played DOS Lemmings to compare, but I believe the musics are in a different order?
- Tricky 21 replaced with "Going Their Separate Ways" (by the way, if you have the original levels for Lix, this one is in the Genesis Tricky folder)
- fast forward
- ability to select only walkers
- clock runs slower, making Mayhem 16 and 27 really easy
- steel is detected more easily, with noticeable effects on some challenges (e.g. Taxing 6 100% is impossible; Crazy 1 100% is much easier)

Which versions have the ability to change RR while paused? I only know that the Mac does and the Genesis doesn't.

Another thing to mention for the DOS version is that several levels have reduced save requirements: Fun 15, Taxing 22, Mayhem 4, Mayhem 15, Mayhem 26 (and that one also gives 20 builders instead of 10). The Mac version keeps them as they were on the Amiga.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »
updated. thanx for the info :)

that's a good question about RR. I'll have to look into it. U can on win95 too.

I'll also look into the save requirements

Do you know when the Mac version was released? I didn't put them in exact order but I wanted kind of a general order.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:40:53 AM »
While it probably falls under the category of graphics changes, I recall the Mac version of Lemmings had a bit of an embarrassing design for the hell exits.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »
Amiga
I'm wasn't going to put anything here since this is the original version which we'll compare all the others to. But I might just mention all the features of this since some people (including me) didn't know this was even the original version of the game)

Technically I believe the Amiga, DOS, and Atari ST versions were developed in parallel, although it did turn out that the Amiga version was released a few months before DOS, IIRC.

- ability to select only walkers

If you're talking about priority inversion, that is actually available in quite a few versions, even some of the console ones.  As you are probably aware, DOS has it by holding down right mouse button.  I seem to recall Amiga supports the same but I should double-check.  I think even SNES has it by holding down one of the buttons (don't remember which one), although Sega Genesis (aka Megadrive) does not.

Which versions have the ability to change RR while paused? I only know that the Mac does and the Genesis doesn't.

I know DOS and Mac does, and maybe Windows.  Amiga, SNES and Genesis does not.  Don't remember the rest, although I'd guess that most don't support RR changes while paused.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
Mac
- I haven't played DOS Lemmings to compare, but I believe the musics are in a different order?
The music on the Mac sounds almost indistinguishable from the Amiga version (there are a couple of minor changes that I only notice because I've played it a million times), and they're in the same order. DOS lemmings is the one with a different order.

ccx also mentioned the Atari ST version; as far as I know, this is the most similar to the Amiga version out of any of them, and the biggest difference is that a) it used a different set of passwords for levels and b) you had to use a joystick for player 2 in the two player game. The Amiga is still the only system I know of that's ever supported dual mouse control in this way (if you attach two mice to a modern PC they can only control the one cursor), and I believe that's part of the reason the two player game was never ported for other PC systems like DOS, Mac or Windows (the other being memory constraints, probably, since a two player level could support up to 160 lemmings, 80 for each player). Now we accomplish two player games by networking multiple PCs together.

There's also the PS1 version, which was very similar to the Windows version and was a single game consisting of L1 and ONML together. The main differences were obviously using a controller (although the box said you could get a 'playstation mouse', whatever that was) to select things, and the fact that you're using a TV screen to view it on. The music was like the Windows version but rendered in high quality and recorded as CD tracks instead of being kept as MIDI files. There was an opening animation in which some Lemmings dancing the Can-Can in a theatre accidentally hit a level and fall through a trapdoor. As for the graphics, they always felt stretched out compared to other versions. Also, I don't know if this happened in Windows too, but there were a few odd behaviours thrown up concerning certain skills, builders especially; particularly, it was always incredibly difficult to get them to build up to a wall and bash through without turning around, and usually you had to somehow get him to finish the bridge - he wouldn't turn around immediately if he was finishing. And if you built too near the ceiling (but further away than other versions), your step would be deleted and the lemming would transition to walker; this becomes a problem on Taxing 5, where you need to stretch your bridge - but because you're viewing it on a blurry TV, it's more difficult to stretch the bridge. As for blockers and bombers, there was some issue in which exploding bombers acted like blockers, or something; unexpected behaviour. Phrases like CLANK or YIPPEE never appeared above their heads, incidentally.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Also, I don't know if this happened in Windows too, but there were a few odd behaviours thrown up concerning certain skills, builders especially; particularly, it was always incredibly difficult to get them to build up to a wall and bash through without turning around, and usually you had to somehow get him to finish the bridge - he wouldn't turn around immediately if he was finishing. And if you built too near the ceiling (but further away than other versions), your step would be deleted and the lemming would transition to walker; this becomes a problem on Taxing 5, where you need to stretch your bridge - but because you're viewing it on a blurry TV, it's more difficult to stretch the bridge. As for blockers and bombers, there was some issue in which exploding bombers acted like blockers, or something; unexpected behaviour. Phrases like CLANK or YIPPEE never appeared above their heads, incidentally.

the glitch y-ness with builders and bashing did in fact happen on Windows. This could have something to do with the glitch that is; all lemmings in this version are to be not where they appear to be at times. (I haven't totally tested this out yet so I will have to do that) check the glitches thread.
However I've never experienced the thing with ceiling.
the bombers thing was something present on Windows as well. "Oh noer's" act like blockers. Idk if the blocker 'field' and all it's tricks can be applied to that. (that's something I just thought about...)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:28:43 AM »
Been a while since I played this version - this one seems to get neglected a lot because the system was exclusive to Britain if I recall correctly.

Acorn Archimedes

- Logo splash-screens for Psygnosis and Krisalis Software (the company that made the port).
- The scrolling text on the menu has elements of humourous self-deprecation (it talks about the 'elevator music'!)
- Remixed music, including a few unique tracks.  Of the four special levels, only the music for MENACING resembles the original.
- Lemmings make a sound when they fall off the screen.
- Changing the release rate causes the pitch of its sound effect to also change, like in the Amiga version.
- Animation seems to be extremely smooth in comparison to other versions.
- Many levels have large expanses of water at the bottom, like the Amiga version.
- No two-player mode.
- No directional select.
- Background is dark blue with (mostly) white text.
- Passwords are meaningful and easier to remember (e.g. "DOUBLEDUCK" is Fun 22, and "LEMMGFINAL" is Mayhem 30).
- Release rate behaves differently (notably, a release rate of 1 spaces the lemmings out nearly twice as far compared to other versions).
- Levels closely resemble their original Amiga counterparts (e.g. "The Fast Food Kitchen" has a time limit of 2 minutes).

On an extra note, the Archimedes version of Oh No! More Lemmings has a very large array of music tracks: 26, compared to the Amiga's 6.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 01:58:54 AM »

The Mac version has that too.

I remember the Archimedes version... one oddity was that when you solved Mayhem 30, you would get the same level again, but now its rating was "1 Blue"!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
Strange, when I completed it, I got a congratulatory message telling me that I was one of the élite.  Mind you, after that I quit the game, not seeing what happened if I played another level... I assumed it would just be Fun 1.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:20 PM »
 :thumbsup: I never heard of that version.
It sounds like a very nice version. 26 songs! and smooth graphics  :-\

that's one thing I didn't care for about ONML in other versions; only 6 songs.
That reminds me to update the Windows version: It used the same Original music for the ONML levels

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
:thumbsup: I never heard of that version.
It sounds like a very nice version. 26 songs! and smooth graphics  :-\

that's one thing I didn't care for about ONML in other versions; only 6 songs.
That reminds me to update the Windows version: It used the same Original music for the ONML levels
It is a very nice version.  They even have (I think) a unique song for "Inroducing SUPERLEMMING!" [sic], a very fitting remix of Yakety Sax! www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rHL1vHXwU

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:17 AM »
Atari ST
-no intro but main screen is similar to Amiga
-menus are similar to Amiga
-max # Lemmings 100
-graphics very close to Amiga (the closest of any version)
-music and sound effects are remixed, yet again. (the sound of lemmings going home sounds a lot like Mario jumping!)
-large silence gap at the end of the songs
-changing the RR makes noise but doesn't change pitch
-title screen similar to Amiga
-brown skill bar
-uses a different set of passwords for levels
-you had to use a joystick for player 2 in the two player game
*contributed by finlay

- Err... Atari ST version does have an intro sequence. It's the same as Amiga, but silent.
- There's no silence gap at the end of the songs. I think you said the opposite. It should be: "There's no large silence gap at the beginning of the songs." The reason is simply because there's no "Let's go" sound effect in that version, causing the music to start immediately. They are present in "Oh no! More Lemmings" though.
- I think you can also use 2 mice for the multiplayer. I'm not sure since I never tested it, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.
- Mouse cursor is only the "Zzz" bubble of the Amiga version's cursor when something is loading.
- You can scroll the screen at different speeds too.
- You can change skills while paused by using the Z and X keys. I don't know if it's the same thing for the Amiga, but I think it is. However, you cannot change the release rate while paused and it may be painful. You also cannot pause the game using the keyboard.
- For the liquids, this is because Amiga and ST versions have more memory while PC-Dos had less. That's also the reason why they have 100 lemmings instead of 80. But of course, you all knew that already.
- Right-click priority thing is also there.
- Lemmings are silent when they fall off the screen.
- Background colour is navy for St and Amiga while it's black under Dos.
- Amiga and ST versions have a congratulations screen with DMA design team applauding sounds and portraits. Under Dos, it's not the case. You only have an ending message.

And for Dos, a few levels have different screen starting coordinates. Also, Dos version has a cheat code and a version number code.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
When I said there's a large gap at end of songs I meant, there's a gap between when the song ends and starts (loops) instead of looping smoothly. Due to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIWPtmDHdw&list=UUzbdP4ABmGTgC2FCDz2kWKQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Of course, this is an emulator and for various other reasons it could be wrong so I’m not saying that’s right or not. I don’t have an Atari ST. It could also be just that song, If memory serves that particular songs does that on every version doesn't it? While every other songs loops seamlessly.

Another annoying things is that many of the YouTube videos I found to get information from for this are now gone. Two videos I found of the ST that I can’t find now seemed to have differences from these here.

According to this video below (I’m more inclined to say this is a real Atari ST) lemmings appear to walk slightly faster, and the clock goes down quicker. (I should say) the game speed is slightly faster than DOS. But I’m not sure on that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KaN-6toFU0

According to most sources I'm seeing; using two mice isn't possible on Amiga. [Sources being; here and a few unreliable short game description sites]

I also wanna say the messages on the marquee on the menu screen are different from DOS at least  :D
-------------
I didn't know DOS had a "cheat" code? How exactly does that work? Unless you just mean the level select code?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »
I didn't know DOS had a "cheat" code? How exactly does that work? Unless you just mean the level select code?

Lemmings and Oh No More Lemmings have special level skip codes:
  • L1: BILLANDTED (says "incorrect password" when you enter, but it works anyway)
  • ONML: SLAMRACING
When the cheat is active, press 5 on the numpad (the other '5' key won't work) during play to end the level with 100% saved.