Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 168500 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #630 on: June 13, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »
Changes to Biploar Maniac and Impetus.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
A possible fix for the runaround, and solutions to three recent levels:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #632 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
Solution to Runaround is attached, looks like backroute.

ferrytale-geoo: Really close to the intended way, nice. I don't want to take out this route, and it'd be also very hard to do so. The level can apparently be completed without the batter (the hero is not a climber), which can count a challenge. I figure keeping the batter is better, to lower the difficulty.

-- Simon

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 13, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
Another level. This one is closely based on three of the original levels, but combined in a different way from Box Set. It's also my first wraparound level (except for Box Set / Think Inside the Box, where the wraparound was purely aesthetic).

This level requires 48x32 and 48x48 steel pieces, which I've attached. (Put them in geoo/steel, obviously.) I made these very crudely by deleting 16 rows of the larger steel pieces; you can remake them properly if you like, of course. Sorry to be a bother -- I know I could just have plonked the 32x32 and 16x32 pieces next to each other, but I prefer the way the level looks with the 48 pieces.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 13, 2012, 08:51:35 PM »
the solutions to 3-1 were good. Geoo went the creative way. :) I kind of wanted to make it harder by enforcing a more unusual route like that one but you said you still need easy levels anyway. I like it the way it is.

here is another easy one.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 13, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
I've downloaded that level, but for some reason I am unable to play it. :( I wonder what's wrong with it?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #636 on: June 13, 2012, 09:09:16 PM »
minimac: What exactly is the problem? If there is a red tree icon in the preview, then you lack some terrain pieces. View data/log.txt and scroll all the way to the bottom, it lists the filenames of the missing terrain.

Most likely, it's Proxima's fire object. I forgot where it was uploaded, probably here in this thread or in another popular thread about Lix.

-- Simon

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:30 PM »
The most likely thing you're missing is the flame object (attached below). Put both the image and the text file in images/proxima.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
Yep, you're both right. It was the fire pieces. TM could've probably used water as that wouldn't make a difference compared to fire.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »
In gameplay terms, no. It would also make no difference if there was no object there and the lix merely fell out of the level. And it would make no difference to the gameplay if we used nothing but the carnival set to construct terrain (it would be time-consuming to recreate the bumpy snow pieces in a straight-edge set, but in principle it could be done). You see where I'm coming from with this?

You have to remember that Lix is pre-release, so all the new tiles and objects that are being added as we go along will be bundled with the game, and the eventual users won't have to root around among forum topics for them. The fact that during development, some of us might have to chase around to get hold of certain pieces is unfortunate, but in the end it's worth it because it allows us all to contribute to the game's graphics and makes this a real team project. And some of the new pieces have been very useful, such as the thin platforms and the factory trap. And the fire object can, of course, be placed on top of platforms or pillars, where water would just look silly :P

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
Now that I've got Lemmix and have been looking through the level database, I couldn't resist remaking "Betcha can't save just one".

A very small modification to the intended solution makes it require only 2 builders, but I've kept 3-of-each to make the red herrings more plausible. Let me know if you find any backroutes!

I've been working on an unintended solution that I wouldn't count as a backroute, because it also uses three of the lemmings, but I haven't been able to make it work, and if it's possible at all, it takes insane precision. Here's a hint for anyone who wants to have a look for this maybe-solution: far left exit.

EDIT: Just remembered, this level contains another 48-sized steel block.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
a good. I liked that level a lot. I'm glad somebody did it.
I was thinking Proxima, maybe you could make a smaller version of the fire for in case somebody wants to use the fire but it's that one is too big. (A shorter but same length since there already is a small square shaped fire thing)

here's another short snow level. This uses one of the steel pieces Proxima made.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
Heh, I solved that with the same miner trick I was using in my backroute attempt on Betcha. How funny that it should come up twice in one day 8)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »
Fixed that silly backroute to The Runaround.

Solved Betcha, using a bit of a ugly trick.

Been playing Metal City a bit, not having had much fun though yet, it's been a lot of trial and error so far. Perhaps I'll find something elegant in the end still, but the start doesn't look like it can be done in a way I'd consider elegant.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »
This is the intended solution to Betcha, based on Insane Steve's walkthrough.

And the unintended solution I mentioned above does work. I think I'll leave this in as a challenge -- it's much harder than the intended route, and I don't think you can save 2/4 with it.