Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set  (Read 167099 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »
I found a really obvious backroute on Buridan's Lix, which can be fixed by adding some steel. Embarrassingly, that steel is actually there on the Cheapo version of the level, I just forgot to include it in the remake!  ;P Replay and fixed versions attached.

Your backroute was interesting. I'd label it a borderline glitch considering the way the lix is able to build in mid-air, so perhaps this will be fixed in a future version. If not, I can't see a way to fix the level to prevent it, so I'll just have to leave it. Should still be an interesting puzzle for solvers who don't know about or don't happen to find that glitch.

You don't need the glitch for the easy version -- L1 blocks, L2 digs one stroke, builds one brick, digs. This is intended to be one of the solutions. I said it was easy ;)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »
hey, I said pretend it's a one way wall  :P

seriously though, Idk how to get around it right now without the oow. (any suggestions are welcome) but can you solve it otherwise? My intended solution is very different. [more interesting I think]

That technique on Burdian is similar to Tseug's 'slipping'. I was thinking about making a level like that but I thought it would be too similar to Slipping. & everyone here would know the solution right away.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »
Had a quick go at Brickout B6, new backroute this time.

Yikes!  That one was a big problem. :XD: When I originally designed the level I think I had been assuming that the cube will completely seal up a basher tunnel, but I forgot that the basher tunnel is actually slightly taller than the cube.  And actually I guess that is a somewhat moot point anyway, as there are other places that cube could go that would serve the same effect.

After some consideration, I currently settled on this change seen in B7 to fix the backroute.  It's once again not very brick-ish, but the few other alternatives I came up with so far feel too drastic to me at this point (at least until some other backroute forces my hand yet again; we'll see).

[edit: sorry, that didn't quite work as intended, due to an asymmetry in the behavior between left- and right- facing Lixes in the setup.  Will post an update within 20 minutes]

[edit: B7.1 posted here.  Darn it, now it looks uglier than ever :XD:]

[edit: too easy? ;P Check out B8 then]

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
Here are some more orthodox (I think!) solutions to Buridan's Lix (right exit) and Eye of the Needle. The digger-ledge backroute for Buridan's Lix might be fixable yet, I have an idea or two, though I'd need to find the 'intended' left route first. For Eye of the Needle, I really liked the concept, but I found it rather difficult to get the right spacing between the lix to make the solution work out, which was somewhat frustrating. One way to fix this might be to add another runner, so you can widen or narrow the gap as needed.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »
Sorry for extra posting, but within a minute of posting Brickout B7, I had to change it to B7.1 due to a sort of unwanted asymmetric behavior I found as I tested setup more carefully.  There was only one download of the level, if yours read "(B7)" instead of "(B7.1)" please re-download from same post.  Sorry.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2012, 01:29:31 AM »
Clam: Excellent solution. That one's staying in. To be honest, even though I love ccexplore's solution, it does require precision (and reducing it to 3 diggers requires some spawn rate adjustment, adding further to the trial-and-error) and if this were the only solution, the team might not like the level very much. Here's the replay.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2012, 01:57:38 AM »
Here are some more orthodox (I think!) solutions to Buridan's Lix (right exit) and Eye of the Needle. The digger-ledge backroute for Buridan's Lix might be fixable yet, I have an idea or two, though I'd need to find the 'intended' left route first. For Eye of the Needle, I really liked the concept, but I found it rather difficult to get the right spacing between the lix to make the solution work out, which was somewhat frustrating. One way to fix this might be to add another runner, so you can widen or narrow the gap as needed.

I agree it's a little frustrating. I'm still tinkering with the level. I'm not totally happy with it yet.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »
I found another left-route for Buridan's Lix. It uses all skills, but also involves deliberately digging into the steel, so it's probably unintended ;)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Hey, I haven't really been keeping up with this, because I've been busy, but I might like to play these levels at some point and there's about 20 pages here now. Would anyone be able to zip their levels folder and send it to me so that I can play them when I get the chance?

Oh and is the Mac version up-to-date? And would it be possible to have a Mac version that doesn't put the levels folder in the application bundle? (Because that means that I might update it one day and find that doing so deletes all the levels I collected – so it'd be better to either have the levels folder be somewhere else or let the player choose a folder to be the levels folder...)

Thanks! :D

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:41 PM »
geoo collects and publishes the levels from time to time. See the initial post for a link to the archive. It's usually fairly recent, even if it doesn't contain the bleeding edge versions of some levels.

Allowing to put levels and config into user directories is a long-term goal. I have this noted already, it's equally important for Linux package managers.

The Mac version is up to date if its version is at least 2012-01-01.

-- Simon

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
Can't find a version number but the last-modified date is in October, so probably not then.  ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
I found another left-route for Buridan's Lix. It uses all skills, but also involves deliberately digging into the steel, so it's probably unintended ;)

Heh. Well, it seems that's easily fixed by moving the trapdoor a little to the right.

I know that basing levels around the intended solution to Taxing 1 has been done to death, but this one does include a little extra puzzle -- without requiring any additional skills.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:50 PM »
Here's an revision for 'eye of the needle' unfortunately this actually turned out easier than the first. I'm going to have to keep working on it. This one has tons of solutions, hopefully though, someone will find a solution that will inspire/help me to design it better. Instead of just tinkering for hours on my own.

I can't help but to remake some of the "Mazulems" levels. Those are all very well made, not insanely difficult, just very original and interesting. here's an example.
MazuLems - Level 08

^Fortunately this one I think could be done without the need for 1 way walls. That's the set that "Too far to walk" comes from. (sort of)
According to Pieuw, this person made these levels in 1999, making him one of the first to make user created levels? Idk when Lem Edit was created.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »
beep boop

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2012, 12:31:38 AM »
these are two that a made a while ago and thought I should upload them already. Ones's a "fun" level, you said you needed those. The other is simple but requires some release rate jiggering and quick movements but no glitches or anything. (at least the intended solution does) Idk if I'm happy with it yet. or the title...
After this I'm going to focus on remaking the rest of pieuws and Mazulems that I think are pretty good. There's one on Mazulems that you just have to add to the set. It's basically a square maze which one lemming has to navigate. Possibly the most original level I've ever seen.

edit:  The Tower's level isn't finished yet, & it's not going to be a fun level. (well I hope it turns out to be a fun level... u know what I mean)

-Hakuin Ekaku