Author Topic: Lemmix Questions  (Read 4307 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Lemmix Questions
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Ive recently downloaded Lemmix but Im having trouble using it (the editor I mean. The game part works great thanx to those people that made it btw, I've been wanting to play the original like that for a long time)

I'm new to all this so is there a topic here or somewhere else with instructions in detail? What do I need to make my own levels? The only actual games I have are The windows version of the original lemmings (that comes with Lemmings paintball) and Lemmix.
When I try to open levels or create new ones it keeps saying I'm missing Dat files of various kinds. with WinLemming though, it says I'm missing graphic files.
the readme that came with it wasn't very detailed. I also tried compiling graphics and the a similar message came up.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »
Yeah unfortunately, the Lemmix editor needs most of the files from the original games, but purposely doesn't include them for copyright reasons.  It does result in a royal pain to set up.

This came up enough times that around last year, I finally uploaded a version that includes all the files you need, copyrights be damned.  See this post for download and setup instructions.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:34:28 AM »
thanks a lot. I just figured out how to play user created levels. I may try my hand at making some of my own levels. it takes some getting used to.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:55:29 AM »
User-made levels should be loaded in the Custlemm style, not Lemmings 1 or ONML. This doesn't change how they look when they use a Lemmings 1 graphics set, but it alters some physics details. This convention is important to know if you view or make replays.

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:33 AM »
i encountered a strange problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

when I save a level and open it up later, some of the steel markers are moved and differently sized then how I placed them when I saved the level. I think this was the only thing that was off. I can't seem to save a level and have the steel markers save correctly now. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

also it seems the steel markers dont always make the steel boundary on the play test exactly where it looks like it should be in the editor. For example in one instance, I had a tall steel pole and I had the boundary placed almost exactly in line with it  and to size, but the 'area of steel enforcement' went beyond that because lemmings could bash or dig a few steps away from the steel.

also when I close the program sometimes I get this message:

fout: Memory Lek 40

also, on an unrelated, less important note why does scrolling with the middle mouse wheel zoom scroll "backwards"?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
Steel placement and the way it's enforced in the game is imperfect, and I could probably believe that Lemmix isn't very strict about placing steel directly on the grid that's enforced by the level format, but it might end up moving because of the format. I dunno. I'm not going to fire it up now to check, so hopefully someone else might know.

As for scrolling, do you mean zooming? It's not actually standardized by anything which way should be "in" and which way should be "out", although I do agree that you often find programs that do it the opposite way to Google and that's very annoying.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
Steel areas have to be placed at multiples of 4 in both x and y position, and if they're not then they reset back to a multiple of 4. I think this is enforced by the level format rather than being done by Lemmix itself (i.e. the format itself can only store a multiple of 4 and not an exact pixel location).

The memory leak ('memory lek') thing seems to show up when something has gone wrong with the program, eg. playtest stopped working, levels not loading - keep in mind this is an Alpha release and there are lots of little bugs. When this stuff happens you just have to close it, restart and move on :-\. I've no idea what the numbers mean though ???

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »
thanx for the help

that's a frankly bizarre aspect of the game   :-\ Of course back in the day most games of that time had strange anomalies like this.
I'm not complaining however, this is a great program I enjoy using it.
the zooming thing doesnt really matter at all I was just curious.

btw, I just noticed the "applaud" and "smite" options on this forum  :D

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
unfortunately, this didnt work. I tried placing them at positions that were multiples of 4 and making them sizes that were multiples of 4, and saving but when I open the level up later it they still get re-sized. (always to the same positions) This may be a different problem because I just noticed that some other regular terrain pieces go missing as well.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
If the objects are always going back to the same positions and terrain gets removed, are you sure you saved the level properly after making the changes? Lemmix has a few quirks with regards to saving, eg. saving to .LVL is different to saving to .DAT, and when saving as a levelpack it doesn't fill in the file extension for you (leaving you with a plain 'file' that Lemmix can't read).

The only other thing I can think of is you might be putting too many terrain and/or steel pieces in the level, but IIRC it doesn't even let you save in that case.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
unfortunately, this didnt work. I tried placing them at positions that were multiples of 4 and making them sizes that were multiples of 4, and saving but when I open the level up later it they still get re-sized. (always to the same positions)
I'm not sure about the repositionings, but steel areas can be no larger than 64x64.  If you're still having trouble with steel areas, attach the level here, and let me know where you try to place the steel areas and where they actually end up.

I just noticed that some other regular terrain pieces go missing as well.
There are limits to the range of x and y values supported.  For example x cannot be less than -16*.  This page has some more details.  (Note: technically they are for WinLemm, but should be close enough for the most part even for DOS Lemmings.)  Lemmix's UI doesn't quite properly constrain you from using bad values, but you can run the "Validate Level" command under the "Tools" menu to find out things that may be out of range or otherwise bad.

If you don't think that's the problem, let me know what terrain pieces you are using and where you are attempting to place them.  The "Inspector Window" (F11) will show these details for the current level element you selected.

*What I said earlier today in IRC is wrong.  However, I'm sure I had previously run into a different Lemmix bug related to negative values.