Author Topic: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?  (Read 55275 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
Here's a replay that isn't optimised at all, but shows 100% can be achieved.

Got this (Hail 5) down to 8 floaters, 1 blocker, 9 builders, 1 digger.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2012, 04:53:45 AM »
I just had a look through Havoc 7.  My original 100% solution uses the following skills:

Left Side: 10 climbers, 3 builders, 1 basher, 2 miners, & 1 digger
Right Side: 1 blocker, 7 builders, 1 basher, & 1 digger

Obviously, this is less efficient than Proxima's solution because it uses an extra blocker that he doesn't use.  However, I was able to remove the digger from the right side by placing the blocker on a build brick and carefully releasing him with a basher without destroying the bridge.

With the digger gone from the right side, it can be used on the left side instead of a miner.  Alternatively, it can be used in such a way that the left crowd can climb out of their holding cell instead of using a builder.  The extra builder can then be used by the exit to save a climber.  Unfortunately, since the crowd needs to be released with climbers under this method, 9 climbers are still required.

So the result for Havoc 7 is now down to 9 climbers, 9 builders, 2 bashers, 1 miner, and 1 digger.  As far as I can tell, the minimum skills result for the other thread is stlll 26.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Frost 6 improved to 1 blocker, 4 builders, thanks to a rather straightforward solution found as part of this challenge.  (See this post for attached replay.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
Wicked 10 is down to 9 builders (as well as 1 floater, 1 blocker, 1 digger).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
Hooray! I'm the next person to make an improvement. :D

I've confirmed that Havoc 8 can be solved 100% with 4 builders. This was done whilst clearing up the minimum skills with 100% challenge thread.

Edit: Also, Frost 7 can be done with 8 builders. Not too hard if your good at crowd controlling without bombing or building.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:19 AM »
I just found an improvement to this challenge, and it's a significant one:

Havoc 7: All but one of the climbers have been eliminated, resulting in 1 climber, 9 builders, 2 bashers, 1 miner, & 1 digger.

There is a ledge where the left crowd can be contained using just a blocker, and that blocker can be subsequently released using just a digger.  This means that you can use three builders on the left side and seven on the right side, so nobody has to climb to the exit.

Unfortunately, a climber and floater are is required to make this work.  A miner must be used through the pillar preceding the aforementioned ledge (both bashers are needed elsewhere), and this miner will cut off access to the ledge after a few seconds.  Even pushing the 10 lemmings through at RR99 is not quite fast enough.  The fix is to have the first lemming start climbing the pillar, and have the next one mine it (which stops the climber).  I also needed a floater to get the lemmings spaced properly.

There are a number of pixel-precise moves required to get this to work, and there are a few times when pixel-precise tasks on opposite sides of the level need to be done nearly simultaneously, which makes this a bear to execute.

Edit 11 Jun 2018: Found a way to execute this solution without the floater by using the release rate along with the timing of the initial digger to get the lemmings spaced properly.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:15:18 AM by LemSteven »

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2017, 02:20:25 AM »
Just when you thought challenges were dead, I came up with another improvement for this challenge:

Mayhem 10: I just achieved 97% without using a climber (screenshot attached), which brings the result down to 3 floaters, 1 blocker, 20 builders, 4 bashers, & 2 diggers.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2017, 04:07:13 AM »
Refreshing!

The opening post lists skill counts but not number of lemmings saved. I suggest to add the save count along with your new records. Even though often obvious, save count is part of the challenge and the most important data of the record.

Did you play in DOS Lemmings or vanilla Lemmix?

Challenges seem dead: I'm happy about new theory every time. In 2010, I was already happy that culture had not moved entirely to multiplayer and the newer engines. I even maintainined L2 fewest skills for gold.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:13:24 AM by Simon »

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
I'm using DOS Lemmings, hence why I don't have a full replay.

You can get the percentages from the Maximum Lemmings Saved Records thread, but I agree it would be nice to have the percentages listed on the opening post for easy reference.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
Does anyone have a replay, in general, for a 73/75 saved on Mayhem 10? (Also, the first post incorrectly lists this as 78/80 instead of 73/75.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
On the previous page of this topic I posted my 1-blocker replay.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
I think that level was one of those where we just took the existing max-saved challenge replay, set that as a preliminary current result for this challenge, and then no one paid attention to the level again until now.  [edit: okay maybe not, since Proxima did contribute a solution to that level] To be honest I didn't even remember off top of my head where the climber was used in the first place, I had to go back to the replay to remember. :XD:

Challenges are dead in the sense that many of the main contributors (eg. me and Clam) no longer had the time/interest/energy to do so, and so far no one else has stepped in aside from LemSteven.  I'm quite sure there are a number of challenge types on this board for which we never even reached the status of every level having been given a serious look-over.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:06:17 PM by ccexplore »

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
It turns out that a simple refinement to my no-climber solution for Mayhem 10 yields a 19-builder solution, so now we're down to 3 floaters, 1 blocker, 19 builders, 4 bashers, & 2 diggers.

The only change from the no-climber solution is instead of building twice to rejoin the crowd, the freed right blocker builds just once at the bottom of the level to trap himself, and then climbs to free himself in the end.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
I've got another improvement to this challenge:

Mayhem 30: 10 builders -- I was able to eliminate five of the builders from Proxima's 15-builder solution as follows:

Hints (click to show/hide)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2019, 07:53:39 PM »
As mentioned in the "Minimum Skills with Maximum %" thread, Mayhem 18 has been reduced to 13 builders.