Author Topic: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?  (Read 55279 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »
I was able to get Mayhem 9 100% down to 6 builders, 2 bashers.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
I just went ahead and confirmed that Mayhem 15 comes down to the 4 builders from the "Skills you can't live without" thread.  I did a bunch of (mostly trivial) runs to eliminate everything else.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »
Tried a few more Mayhem levels (there were only four left, but solved two of them) and came up with the following results:

26: 4 bombers, 1 blocker, 19 builders
30: 26 builders

I'm pretty sure an expert will reduce the record of 26 builders. Anyway, here's the replay of Mayhem 30 100% without bashers. As for the no diggers solution here's a hint for turning the right group of lemmings round:

Quote from: Hint
Set up a blocker when he walks a few paces. It can be freed by bashing underneath.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
...so which were the other two? All Mayhem levels are filled in in the OP. I'm guessing you did this yourself, but that means we don't know which levels really remain still to be looked at. I'm guessing one of the ones you filled in was Mayhem 29, because the discussion of the max% solution on the old forums indicates it requires 5 blockers, not 6.

Also from the old forums, ccexplore mentioned that Wild 19 requires 7 builders, not 9, and that Wild 3 requires 6 builders, not 7.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2012, 07:05:14 AM »
Whoops, I'm a bit behind here partly because of work and a few internet problems but I've updated all the results.

...so which were the other two? All Mayhem levels are filled in in the OP. I'm guessing you did this yourself, but that means we don't know which levels really remain still to be looked at. I'm guessing one of the ones you filled in was Mayhem 29, because the discussion of the max% solution on the old forums indicates it requires 5 blockers, not 6.
It was levels 10 and 29, which was where I needed some help (I only posted for help over there, rather than in the thread itself). For both those levels, I found replays just to see how many skills the solver used, and then put it on the OP. Anyway, all the Original level results have been placed on the OP, but I'll still be looking for a fewer builder solution to Mayhem 30.

As for Oh No, how is Wicked 6 possible with 100%?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
As for Oh No, how is Wicked 6 possible with 100%?

Wicked 6 100% requires the use of builders to keep miners going across gaps that would otherwise stop them.  As for the required skills, I can confirm 10 builders + 4 miners, but I'm pretty sure the builders can be reduced to 8.  The reason for this is that I've done the right half of the level with 5 builders, and ccexplore said on the old Lemmingswelt forums that the left half can be done with 3 builders.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
I've confirmed Wild 3 with no digger, though it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

My solution to Havoc 7 does not use floaters or a blocker.

Wicked 12 -- 1 bomber, 2 blockers, 7 builders, 1 miner
Wicked 17 -- 6 builders
Wicked 20 -- 1 blocker, 6 builders, 1 digger

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
From the old challenge thread, ccexplore solved Wicked 13 with 9 builders (plus other skills, but those can be eliminated separately).

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:52 AM »
Here's Havoc 13 100% with 9 builders. I didn't even realise this was a record until Proxima pointed it out to me :D

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
We really should finish this off, as there are so few levels left to do. To start with, my max% solution to Wicked 10 uses 2 floaters, 2 blockers, 10 builders, 1 digger. My 100% solution to Wicked 11 uses 1 blocker, 7 builders, 2 bashers, 3 miners, 1 digger. Feel free to improve on these!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2012, 05:01:44 PM »
No replay for this, but Mayhem 30 works with 15 builders, 11 under the current record  8)

Here's where they are used:

Left side: 2 to cross each of three gaps, 1 to get past the unclimbable part at the foot of the mountain
Right side: 4 to get over the one-way wall, 4 to cross the water

This solution requires a certain trick that allows the left-side lemmings to complete the right side's path to the exit.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
I just took a look through some of Proxima's work in Wicked, and made a few improvements:

Wicked 15: I've eliminated the blocker, and bashers are down to just the one needed to break the initial splat fall in time.  Crowd control can be done with builders alone by making a holding cell to the right of the entrance platform.  So that level is down to 1 floater, 7 builders, 1 basher, and 1 miner.

Wicked 10: Floaters and blockers are down to one apiece.  Builders and diggers remain unchanged, so the result is now 1 floater, 1 blocker, 10 builders, and 1 digger.

Wicked 11: I found lots of improvements here, and they're all variants of the same general idea:
The first lemming builds up to the platform to the right of the entrance (this can be reached with one builder) while the crowd is held back with a digger and a builder (another builder is used later to release them).  The leader walks across the platform and drops by the lizard, past his trigger area.  He can then get through the tree using two miners.  Once you're past the tree, the rest of the path to the exit can be cleared with just 3 builders and 2 bashers.

In total, the above solution uses 6 builders, 2 bashers, 2 miners, and 1 digger.  However, further improvements are possible by using variations of this route:
1) One of the bashers can be replaced with a miner+builder.  This gets bashers down to 1.
2) The second miner at the tree can be replaced with a builder.  This gets miners down to 1.
3) Instead of a digger and two builders, crowd control can be done with two blockers, two miners, and two builders.  Combined with #2 (which saves a miner), this eliminates the digger.
4)Crowd control can also be done with digger, a miner, a blocker and a builder.  This gets builders down to 5.

With these improvements, the result is down to 5 builders, 1 basher, and 1 miner.

Edit: Added the floater to Wicked 15.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
Excellent -- I'm glad I'm not the only one working on this!  :thumbsup:

I'm intrigued that there's another 98% solution to Wicked 10 beyond the one I found, which uses a rather nice trick. I shall have to devise a custom level in which said trick is the only solution :)

Slight correction on Wicked 15 -- I had already eliminated the blocker, my result started with 1 floater. Of course, this is still necessary.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2012, 04:50:04 AM »
Wicked 15 -- now that I'm actually playing this in Lemmix, it looks like my previous result may be incorrect. It seems that in the original game you have to place 6 bricks under the hatch to make the fall safe, and that can only be done using a clever trick seen in this video

It's possible to break the fall without using any bashers, by using the miner positioning glitch (miner moves down 1 pixel) immediately after placing a brick, allowing the builder to turn around. I used the other miner on the starting platform and ended up building over the trap to the gap between the steel barriers (extreme precision required), maybe LemSteven's method is better. Anyway, it worked out, so here's a replay with no bashers used, improving the result to 1 floater, 7 builders, 1 miner (for Wicked 15).

Incidentally, while trying this method in Lemmix, I actually managed to save the third lemming out, which would lead to a 98% score. HOWEVER, it requires two assignments (miner then builder) in one frame, which isn't allowed in the original game. Assigning these skills on consecutive frames isn't good enough, becuase then the miner destroys a pixel of terrain that the builder would otherwise climb onto after turning around, gaining the extra height needed to break the fall before the third lemming arrives. An annoying near-miss, but there you go.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Wicked 14 is surprisingly tough for such an easy level  :( but these two replays, between them, reduce the skills to 2 builders, 1 basher, 1 miner.