Author Topic: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?  (Read 55281 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: What are the skills you need for maximum percentage on each level?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »
Both my and alfonz1986's 100% Wicked 9 solutions use all 20 builders and the floater, and we both worked really hard just to squeeze out the 100%, so this is likely the final result for that level.  Certainly a good place to start off for that level.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
It uses the miner positioning glitch such that the crowd can be trapped and released.  I'm pretty sure the replay had been posted here.  You should bookmark that page.

Sidenote: this is one of few results I've actually verified on Mac Lemmings.  Although on the Mac, if I recall, some subtle differences with the terrain removal mask for miner means the 17/21 solution needs to be modified slightly to work.
I knew that this glitch was possible on the Mac, but I've no idea how to sort of activate it. Is it something to do with the bomber in this case...? if so, it might be something slightly different in that case – certainly on the Mac you can get it to kinda drop through a one-pixel gap on its own sometimes if you assign it in the right place.

Also... climberless Havoc 4 solution??  ??? :o

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2011, 02:13:22 AM »
^ Havoc 4 involves the "floor route", in which you bash underneath the majority of the level.

Taxing 4 with builders and miners for 100% was done in the fewest different skills thread, so no bashers or diggers are needed.  Miners can easily be eliminated by using the same solution and substituting bashers and diggers for the miners.  Finally, I've currently got builders down to 10 by bashing out to the right and building up, so the result is 10 builders.

Note that the 1-builder solution in the skills you can't live without thread doesn't work here because you can't save everyone with the sliding glitch.  It is possible to send up one lemming with the sliding glitch and have him mine down to help the others, but that also ends up using quite a few builders, so I'm not sure it will help improve the result any.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
It uses the miner positioning glitch such that the crowd can be trapped and released.  I'm pretty sure the replay had been posted here.  You should bookmark that page.

Sidenote: this is one of few results I've actually verified on Mac Lemmings.  Although on the Mac, if I recall, some subtle differences with the terrain removal mask for miner means the 17/21 solution needs to be modified slightly to work.
I knew that this glitch was possible on the Mac, but I've no idea how to sort of activate it. Is it something to do with the bomber in this case...? if so, it might be something slightly different in that case – certainly on the Mac you can get it to kinda drop through a one-pixel gap on its own sometimes if you assign it in the right place.
The glitch thread should have a reasonably good explanation for the miner glitch, and yes, the bomber is involved in the miner-glitch usage with the PC's 17/21 solution:

Quote from: spoiler
The miner's explosion countdown reaches 0 just when the miner positioning glitch places it, just before he starts mining through, below the bottommost row of pixels, so that he's actually standing on thin air when he starts "oh no".  And since oh-no-ers fall, he never gets a chance to explode, and you have your crowd trapped.
But actually, I have to rework the 17/21 solution a little for the Mac, using a move that doesn't work on the PC version:

Quote from: spoiler
Because of subtle differences in the miner's terrain removal, the PC solution would've lost one more lemming on the Mac, due to that lemming being able to get out from the end of an in-progress miner tunnel.  I don't remember the details off top of my head, but basically it forced me to rework the solution to use the bomber for some other purpose.  So I make use of the miner positioning glitch by assigning digger to the miner at the same time the PC version's  trick kicks in, for same effect (ie. miner falls through w/o breaking through the terrain).  It doesn't work on the PC version because the 1st-time dig also takes out 2 additional rows of pixels above the expected 1 row below the lemming, whereas on the Mac version even the 1st dig takes out only 1 row of pixels (which is nothing in this case because the miner is already positioned to be standing on thin air).

Also... climberless Havoc 4 solution??  ??? :o
That's another one of those "simple solutions made possible by release rate jiggering" solutions.  Paving the path is as simple as dig, bash, build.  And the technique to work out how to make sure everyone exits in time is fairly similar to what I did for the min-skills solution for "Just a Minute".  This post describes my technique for working out the release rate jiggering with help of Lemmix's text versions of replays.

You should be able to find a replay for Havoc 4 somewhere on the min-skills challenge thread if you want the exact details of the RR changes.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2011, 08:58:08 AM »

[edit: on that note, minimac, please use the replay to start off the results here for Havoc 10, since you brought that up on the OP.  It well may be the final result for that level.]

I am trying to, but whenever I click on a link, the download comes up as index.php and I don't know how to sort that out.

Anyway, back on topic. I solved Mayhem 18 100% using only 15 builders. If there are any improvements please let me know.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
I am trying to, but whenever I click on a link, the download comes up as index.php and I don't know how to sort that out.

Hmm, works for me on IE.  Note that it's a zip file.  Here's a direct link from the site:

http://www6.camanis.net.ipv4.sixxs.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=challenge_replays/havoc10_save17.zip

When your browser asks you to save the file, try to find a dropdown labeled "save as type", and then select either "compressed (zipped) folder" if available, or select "all files" and then make sure to end your filename with .zip (including the dot).  If that still doesn't work then I'm out of ideas for now.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
I've verified that Taxing 14 comes down to 17 builders, the same as in the skills you can't live without thread.

Also, Taxing 18 can be reduced to 11 builders.

Quote from: Spoilers
Taxing 14: The crowd is held in by digging at a pixel-precise location and then making the digger block as soon as the left side of his hole is seven pixels high.  The crowd gets stuck at the left edge of the hole and can be freed with a single miner.  The rest of the level is the same as the min-skills solution, using 17 builders and 2 bashers.

Taxing 18: Build a stairway with six builders such that the last brick laid provides a six pixel high step onto the OWW.  The first lemming to go up there builds immediately so that the crowd can't follow him (some release rate jiggery-pokery is useful to make sure this lemming doesn't have anyone immediately behind him).  Now float down to the right side, build 2x over the exit, build up to the OWW to break the fall, and bash to get to the exit.  Finally, build one more time to release the crowd.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 09:33:33 PM »
Due to all the recent references to the old collection of challenge replays, I just noticed that for Crazy 1, Shvegait posted a 100% solution that only uses 3 blockers rather than 4.  I've re-attached the replay here because some people were complaining about the site not downloading correctly for them (but I'm hoping this has been resolved for everyone now?).

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »
It always downloads as "index.php", but as long as I change the suffix appropriately to either .zip or .lrb then it works.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »
Also, Taxing 18 can be reduced to 11 builders.

Improving on LemSteven's method to 10 builders.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2011, 07:05:04 AM »
[Taxing] 25: 5 builders, 2 bashers

This can be done (just) with 1 basher, by walling at the left (thanks to the shape of the terrain, this takes 2 builders, not 3 as usual), and bashing through one of the 'humps' to stall the crowd.

I did Taxing 26 with 5 builders over here. A 100% builders+miners solution exists, and it's easily doable with no miners, so as before the result is 5 builders.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »
For Taxing 27 lose 3, so far I have a no-bomber solution using 2 blockers, and another solution using no more than 7 builders.  So let's start with 2 blockers, 7 builders and see where we go from there.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »
Goodness... I never thought of taking the outside route before. Great job capitalizing on that. 8)

OK, I have done a few Blitz levels:

5: 7 builders
7: 5 builders, 1 basher
12: 1 bomber, 1 digger
15: 11 climbers, 4 floaters, 1 bomber, 1 basher

Taking a lot of precise moves, I've attached a replay for the 5 builder Blitz 7 solution. Getting to do it in 1 basher is almost the same solution, but a lemming will need to bash left when at peak, and be immediately turned into a builder to create a step. Another builder is required as well.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
Goodness... I never thought of taking the outside route before. Great job capitalizing on that. 8)

Credit goes to LemSteven for the general outside route, I believe he was the first to report it here back in the old old forums. 8)

And finally I got the 1-blocker solution working for Taxing 27 77/80, so that's down to 1 blocker, 7 builders.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
Taxing 29:

100% climbers+builders+miners was done in the fewest types challenge. Attached are replays for no climbers, 1 builder, and no miners, all with 100%. Result: 1 builder.