Author Topic: PSP Special Levels  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
PSP Special Levels
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:54:01 AM »
I made ten remakes of the new levels that were in the PSP Lemmings. There were 36 new ones, making it 156 levels in the game. One thing that I don't like about these levels is that the early levels makes the special section look like a whole new Lemmings game with the same engine because they are too easy. The first level teaches you how to climb and the second level teaches you how to use floater. You already have the original levels for that stuff. I don't know what they were thinking when they made those levels. I was expecting 36 new Mayhem levels, not Fun all over again. Maybe they thought there's a chance that a new Lemmings player will pick the special section first. The levels is in the database.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: PSP Special Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
The fact that there's 36 levels overall and 6 are these new training levels makes me think that they realised that people might start the special levels before the original ones and not know what to do quite late on and had to cobble something together and tack it onto the beginning. IIRC, "Special" is the option that's highlighted when you're given the menu rather than "Original".

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Level 34 "Born a blocker, die a blocker" looks like it won't fit in LemEdit/Lemmix, because of the way it looks, and I mean height wise. I would make more, but those levels took a long time to build, so I'm taking a break. There were some levels in the special section that were hard to figure out, like level 24 and 35. I was staring at those for a long time.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »
I'd have to fire up my PS2 in order to play it, annoyingly. I've just checked my reference list of levels, and I do seem to remember that 35 and 36 had big hints in the title. But I would have to play it again to remember what they look like.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:03:12 PM »

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
Level 34 "Born a blocker, die a blocker" looks like it won't fit in LemEdit/Lemmix, because of the way it looks, and I mean height wise. I would make more, but those levels took a long time to build, so I'm taking a break. There were some levels in the special section that were hard to figure out, like level 24 and 35. I was staring at those for a long time.
On the contrary, it's exactly the right height.

(Annoyingly, there is no 16*16 block in the original tileset, nor is there a double length or quadruple length – the main blocks are 48*16 – so several times I have resorted to two half-sized blocks together, and several more times I have resorted to complex shufflings and erasings to get conjoined blocks. Also, I reduced the RR to 90 because I couldn't stop the lemmings from getting closer together later on and ruining it; 90 was the perfect RR so as they don't.)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
Everything looks the same terrain wise and the traps too. I'll post pictures of the original for others to see.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:48 AM »
It's nice when you can recreate it exactly (because it's made up of squares), I have to say. There are some other levels, like "The Flood", which I can see being impossible to accurately recreate, because they do things like have pillars that are at 45°.

I did take the liberty of adding water beneath the entrance, incidentally. I'm not sure if it's shown up in the downloadable version or not.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »
The water did show up. I use to think some levels will look better with water.

This level can't be build like the original, because the Lemmings walks faster in the old engine. There's only one minute in this level, but they will reach the exit a few seconds earlier than they do in the PSP. I had to keep stretching the level, but then again, I would have run out of space to put the giant letter B. If you remove the A and B and the terrains there, then you can make the level work the same way like the original.

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Here's a couple of alterations: making the pillars a bit higher so that the timing is more tight, and making the left pillar be in front of the platform rather than behind (symmetry!!)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
Finished Chain Reaction. This level is a disappointment because the chains actually shows where you need to turn the Lemmings into a bomber. I put the chains in the remake, even though it ruins the level, because it wouldn't be a true remake if they weren't there. You can watch the playthrough of the special levels, if you want to see how they look in the PSP. It saves me time on taking pictures.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »
I’ve began playing the PSP levels today. So far they look great! good job Luis.  :thumbsup:
I plan on doing some challenges on these. should be fun  :)
-------
I made a folder of ini files for playing these in Lemmini. It doesn’t include some of the early/tut. levels and I didn’t number them. I figured if anybody really wants this done just ask and I can do it them. (I personally enjoy playing in Lemmini more)

EDIT: totally forgot to attach the folder  :XD:

good job on behind the net! it looks really nice  :)

I can give you some tips about Lemmix if you want Luis; (1 tip)..
-one way to deal with the exit triggers being out of place is to put “no overwrite” terrain underneath the exit. A small piece so that the lemmings step up and into the exit properly. This way you don’t have to have the exit sunken into the ground. This doesn’t matter however, if you make a level specifically for Lemmini.

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
You can think of the levels as levels that didn't make it into the original 120. :) If these were in the original game, what spot of Fun, Tricky Taxing, and Mayhem will they be? of course those early tutorial levels will be in the Fun section. "with a little from my Lem" and "No justice for the hero" would be Mayhem, since those were one of the levels that took me a long time to figure out. Note that this was during the time when I got back into playing Lemmings again and didn't know any tricks and how a lot of stuff work. I only messed around a lot in the levels in the SNES Lemmings and played 2 player mode, so I never learned how to beat the game, until Lemmings PSP.

I played the Lemmini levels and found out something wrong with "Notch what you think it is!" There's a 100% solution that seems to be more difficult to pull off in Lemmini, then it is on PSP and Lemmix. It's in the part where you use the builder. In Lemmini, you only have one pixel of a chance to turn the Lemming into a builder to cover the gap, before the Lemming behind him falls and dies. Maybe the length of the stairs in Lemmini is shorter? This is not the first time I have seen a level from Lemmix played differently in Lemmini. It happened with my old pillar level.

Yeah that exit trigger area needs to be fixed. It's in the wrong spot.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:52:59 PM »
I made a folder of ini files for playing these in Lemmini. It doesn’t include some of the early/tut. levels and I didn’t number them. I figured if anybody really wants this done just ask and I can do it them. (I personally enjoy playing in Lemmini more)
I have added the early levels and numbered them. Someone wants to play these levels in Lemmini. Although Cagey Business is unplayable in Lemmini because the stairs are too short and I don't feel like editing. It's a hassle since these levels were made and tested on DOS Original Lemmings. Even the trap trigger area is bigger. This is why I don't like Lemmini. The mechanics are not like the real game. :( I'm just gonna tell him to play that level in Lemmix.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:01 AM »
I have added the early levels and numbered them. Someone wants to play these levels in Lemmini. Although Cagey Business is unplayable in Lemmini because the stairs are too short and I don't feel like editing. It's a hassle since these levels were made and tested on DOS Original Lemmings. Even the trap trigger area is bigger. This is why I don't like Lemmini. The mechanics are not like the real game. :( I'm just gonna tell him to play that level in Lemmix.

I can try to fix it for you, if you'd like. Lemmini is not like DOS, but once you get used to it, I find it much better because the mechanics aren't so flimsy. It's too easy to glitch through levels in (old) DOS. It's also much easier to place objects in Lemmini because you don't have to worry about weird trigger areas.
Most of the trap areas aren't bigger exactly, its just that the detection is in a different spot. In DOS, the Lemming's feet must be in the spot for it to work, while in Lemmini it's more like the center or head of the Lemming, meaning sometimes you the trap needs to be moved down if you want to build over it easily.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain