Author Topic: The person behind the lemmings player  (Read 4216 times)

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
The person behind the lemmings player
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »
Hi, I was interested to know a little bit more about the person behind the player for u guys on the forum who dont mind sharing.
Stuff like what your job is, or if ur still at school, or even what ur aspring to do, other hobbies, etc.

I'm sure most 'good' players on here would do very well at scientific/problem solving jobs  :thumbsup:
Maybe even tell employers about it at a job interview, haha!

I'll start,

I'm 25 years old from Scotland, currently studying an MSc in Subsea Engineering (oil & gas pipelines,risers,drilling,etc)
and right now I'm busy writing my thesis on 'carbon dioxide corrosion of welded steel components in offshore environments'.
Other games/sports I'm big on right now (it changes) are rock climbing, scrabble, backgammon, poker & mario kart wii online!

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: The person behind the lemmings player
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
Interesting... where specifically? You see, I'm 23 and I'm from Edinburgh. In my day to day life I'm currently an EFL teacher and I have a degree in linguistics. Hooray.

Sadly I don't have that many hobbies. :-[

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
Strathclyde Uni, Glasgow.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:28 PM »
As it's pretty obvious, my name's Adam. I'm 20 from sunny Manchester here in the UK and I'm the one who spends a lovely £10 per year keeping this site going.

When I'm not working, I'm generally found sitting in front of a monitor, teaching kids to stab each other to death at my fencing club, or if I'm in the right mood, kicking arse on MarioKart Wii. I may also be found on a certain letters and numbers gameshow in the near future, if all goes to plan! :P

As for the future? Eventually, I'd like to live by the water (any water) and move into the TV/Radio industry.. but that's a long time off yet!

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »
Are u clanned in MKWii? Adam rings a bell, Flow clan or something? Im not into it enough to be clanned, but play at about 9500VR on worldwide.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm not clanned - never really got too into it, 'cause of dodgy work hours!

I'm currently racing at about 8,500, 'cause I'm mad rusty, and I refuse to use a bike! :P

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 06:03:52 AM »
May as well throw out a short bio, mainly because it's been a bit since I've been here and I noticed alfonz likes poker so...

Steve (no, seriously), 24 right now. Living in Indiana, an exit exam away from a M.S. in stats. Dream career is to be a university instructor or an actuary, but the former is unlikely without research interests and I dislike research a lot, and the latter I'm rusty at and lolconomy. Ph.D. may be in the near future, but ugh dissertation. Aside from Lemmings, I've studied poker enough to be up 5 figures lifetime (though I have about $4k on a site that was shut down and am not sure when or if I'll see it) and am good enough to have been contracted to make strategy videos and coach people privately in the past. I'm into general video game junk, and dance machine games. If I can get a video up of me playing, I will, because I'm way better at those than I'd like to admit.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
Thats awesome Steve. Shame about Full tilt tho...
Luckily I played on stars and never had any money tied up in FTP.

Don't play much right now (so busy with uni) but I'm sure I will be back. In my prime I had about a $2k bankroll and 2-tabled $1/$2 9-seater no limit cash games on stars. During that period I cashed out about $2k before I went bust. Although I never like to buyin for big money. I always started from just a $20 investment and built it up for there. So if I ever lost $500 in a night, I could stomach it a little bit better knowing at least I wasn't down money :)

More recently I tried a run at SnGs on stars, they got a nice new slower structure for plenty of play. I did mostly $22 9-seaters and won about $500 there.

As for dance machines.... lol thats pretty funny :)

I prefer the real thing in a techno club! Guess i forgot to mention that in the previous post. I used to be HUGE on techno/house clubbing/dancing before I started my MSc  :P

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:01 AM »
Yea, Americans can't play on Stars either. I'm playing on a smaller site (Bodog) right now, but at much lower stakes than I used to due to the lower player pool and being a bit short on money right now. Nice to see other poker players on the board (I know Simon plays recreationally every so often), especially those good enough to make a solid profit off $20 (I started with $20 as well  :thumbsup:) If you want to talk strategy on an IM program, let me know. I used to play $57 Heads-up SNGs (never played cash too often), but I'm pretty solid at 9-mans also so if you ever pick those up again let me know.

I'm a big fan of techno also, but never really got into the clubbing scene. I do prefer genres with a lot of bass and somewhat faster tempos than trance/house type stuff (but still enjoy listening to pretty much any electronic music).
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »
My turn now:

My name's Michael. I'm 25 from Quebec so, obviously oui, je parle français. I've been a Lemming fan since I played the game the very first time on the Atari ST. I remember all the great fun I got with my old friend playing the game in 2-players mode: one using the mouse and the other using the joystick. We always made sort to play together without for a player to win to keep the game running. ;P

I have first studied into multimedia, learning stuff about image editing, typography, music and photography (with camera obscura). Unfortunately, I failed my course and some times later, I tried a level designer course, learning basic stuff about video game level design. Once again, I failed, because I had trouble to work in teams, but however, the director said good comments on me. He told me that I was very strong into that. I even completed the level design final exam with a 100% note. It's later that I discovered that I have some PDDs (Pervasive Developmental Disorders). Yes, I'm an autist and I also have some Asperger syndrome. And this affects my social relations and my basic knowledge.

Then, some times later, I tried a video game programming course which was a huge mistake by itself. The course was extremely bad and a lot of students were frustrated. Some teachers didn't really know what to teach, some programming languages weren't appropriate to learn and blah... I did learn some programming stuff though and I could code a few basic video games. I tried to code a pac-man in assembly, I almost completed a tetris on a cell phone and I did a simple battleship game using labels and buttons under Windows. However, when I entered into making a 2D game engine and 3D programming, I totally failed.

Finally, I'm actually studying basic programming stuff and it went extremely well so far. I really hope someday, I will finally be able to get a job and code programs 'cause I'm really in need of cash after all those years of trying. I can't study forever, I have a life to live.

About my hobbies, I'm a fan of other old games, the one I'm playing so often being (no, not Lemmings, unfortunately ;P) Dungeon Keeper. I'm even an administrator on a French site. I'm so addicted to that game. I have also been a fan of Push Over, Supaplex (like geoo), Dungeon Master, Captive, Rise of the Triad and some other old games. But sometimes, I can play today's video games. I recently played and completed Portal 2 for example and I'm a good player of Team Fortress 2.

I have found that I love to listen trance music. It's something I have to discover more.

Finally, something that may surprise you, I'm... a furry. :o Yes, I've recently been into the furry fandom as a dragon (obviously), it's been a few months ago. I'm sometimes going into furry meets and I've been into one furry convention so far. And well, I've got real fun in the meets and I'm planning to get a dragon fursuit once I'll get enough money. At the same time, this somewhat helps me a bit about my PDDs I explained above, being in contact with other people.

So, huh, yeah, I guess that's all so far. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
I wonder if I should have a go at this.

I know this is a very old topic but I was browsing through the old topics just looking around and I came across this one. With this one we probably do need to be careful with what we are saying just in case we post anything that might be too personal. (Even though I trust you guys at this website) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My name is Graeme. I'm from Scotland and I've been volunteering at a local hospital shop, I was originally looking for a job or volunteer position and one I remember going for was volunteering for (the samaritans) an organisation that helps people who are feeling low or maybe feeling suicidal. (This was something close to my heart) Sometimes we may need an listening ear or someone to talk to if we are planning on taking our life. It was something I was looking into on the introduction day but at the end I decided not to persue the position as it looked tough going.

As of recent times I've been diagnosed as having ocd, not the one where you clean a lot but another type of ocd which makes you think of bad thoughts. Like for instance it makes you feel as if you are about to commit a crime. It got me thinking I need to spread word about this condition so I decided to write a small book well an e-book and it was something that got accepted for publication as it contributed to the mental health debate so to say.I'm involved on another forum helping people who are suffering from mental health conditions.

Back in the mid to late 2000s I was doing a couple of college courses and the subject I wanted to study was computing as it was something that is becoming a large part of people's life. I did a few years computing and I was looking forward to studying it to HNC level but when I applied I wasn't accepted maybe as I already done five years at college and the other reason being that it may of been a difficult course for myself. I admit I do struggle with technology sometimes. :)

At the moment I'm thinking of trying basketball as it was something I really enjoyed when I was at college. I used to like doing sports at school as well.

My biggest achievement which is something I would encourage others to do is a Bungee jump. I know it sounds scary but that was something I did three or four years ago. Everyone at the time thought I was mad, my gran especially. :lem-mindblown::lem-mindblown:

I find video games a very good distraction and it helps me sort of like a therapy. I remember being very young at the time I discovered lemmings. I saw my dad play lemmings on the computer and I was just watching him do some of the levels. I'm sure I remember my mum having a shot as well. I used to think a long time ago that you could pick whatever level you want to play in lemmings.

It was a magical moment discovering Oh no more lemmings and lemmings tribes as it was one christmas I went downstairs in the morning and there it was two floppy disks hanging from the christmas tree. Oh the memories of being so excited. I always cheated on the game back then though. :thumbsup:

Lemmings I would say was a big part of my life. When I got older we my decided to get a PC. I was thinking I love the atari st, I want to keep playing games on it.

I would say I'm a bit of a classic gamer maybe. :evil: I like going back and playing some old atari st games on the emulator.

I'm a massive kebab lover. :-[:-[