Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90829 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Nice work! :) There are indeed some other levels I'd like to mention:

Square Dancing: Not listed in your records, so I'm guessing you got 100%. I found a 100% version a while back, but then I (somewhat intentionally) broke it by raising the start platform. I'm not surprised it's still possible though - some relevant physics might have changed since then too.

Called in the wrong squad?: I tried it just now and saved 74 without doing anything special :)

Interval Training: My replay from testing saves 358, I didn't try to fully optimise though.

Mental Block: I'm aware from the Lemmix version that you can save more than required, but I never tried myself (on either game) due to the tedious nature of that method.

A Step Two Far: I seem to recall geoo finding a 21/22 solution, I can't find the replay though.

Also, obligatory mention: try (fl)in(g)sane ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Improved "A step two far" to 100%  8)

Solved "Called in the wrong squad" with 6 bombers + cubers, but it still only saves 72. I think I'm on the right lines and it's mainly a matter of improving the timing -- I'll have to come back and have another go. I'll put your 74 on the list, of course; looks to me like this is the maximum.

Yes, omitted levels always mean 100% (unless it's an entire set that isn't on the list yet). If I haven't yet set a record for an individual level, I list this as "??", like the last level of Rubix's Perplexing.

13/16 on Mental Block is much easier in Lix since you can text-edit the replay. It's debatable whether this is cheating, but I take the view that -- as with the glitches on original Lemmings -- the purpose of the challenge is to save the maximum possible, so any method that works (for the specified game and level) is legitimate. And as you say, it can be achieved without this method, it's just more tedious.

I will eventually try to work my way through Insane, but no promises about when. I have very little time at the moment as Mother's been taken into hospital. Also, when I do get back to Lix, I want to have a go at Rubix's last set and the remaining community set levels next, since I've been neglecting those for a while now.

I have to admit, I'm rather apprehensive about Insane, considering that the one level I've solved so far (Beaten into shape) is nightmarishly hard to set a maximum record for. It's one of those levels, like Hail 6 or "Compression Method Infinity", where there's a clear theoretical maximum, but no guarantee that it's achievable, so you just have to keep trying until you either achieve it or give in. For "Beaten into shape", the theoretical maximum is 49 (losing just one to the trap) and I've reached 48, so I feel it should be possible....

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
Text-editing replays is perfectly legit, it's one of the benefits of using a human-readable replay format. I'd even put such functionality right into the game (graphical user interface to shift/edit the replay's individual commands). However, that would take a lot of time to reach the craftiness of text editors, and it's usually unnecesary if we already have savestating.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
I'm starting to feel some motivation to work on this set again. Partly in case someone on Youtube finds this game and decides to Let's Play it (;)), but mostly because... well, it's about time, dangit.

Watch this space. but don't get your hopes up too high because I have a bad tendency to suddenly go off an idea once I tell everyone about it

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
Sweet progress! Never mind that I'm supposed to be making progress on something else. My motivation works in mysterious ways :P

Here's the current work-in-progress version. I'll update the linked file rather than continue attaching files to posts.

Here's the list of changes since the last update. I'll log changes in textfiles rather than clog this page with notes. New levels are always worth a mention though, so here they are:
  • Fill the Floor (Arcane): a fun, simplified remake of my level for Lemmix.
  • Globe of Death (Flingsane): Fence with fling bombers. I posted this on the IRC some time ago but it didn't make it as far as the forum.
Also, thanks to whoever kindly translated my intro text into German, which I just noticed :D

(edit: changed topic post to fit)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »
Well....got rid of my old post
i've seen this turned from lemmings to its own series(I like that)
but i'm not shure if i can find the time play this
because of well
New computers/hard drives
and ive been to busy doing other things *Cough*Pokemon*cough* & High school
but when i find the time i'll play Lix

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
UPDATE TIME! :D

Just one new level, but heaps of improvements to existing levels. Mostly decorative. :)
  • Dig Deep (Humane): like a digger tutorial, but harder!
Download (version 29/4/13)
Changelog

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2013-12-02 00:25:26
I could remake [Switchback Symmetry] in Lix with the steel pipes (which I would have by now if it weren't for the main one-way wall being so awkward to substitute).
Here it is, with a new title as well!

Replacing the one-way walls turned out even harder than I expected, but I found something that works (I hope) and makes for a nicer-looking skill count as well . Note that the save requirement is also lower: 14, not 15.

(edit: it occurs to me that a timed bomber at the end of the level is a bad idea and not the point of this puzzle - will fix for the next version)

As for the levelset as a whole, I've been working on it on-and-off since the last update (mostly minor improvements to existing levels) so I'll try to post a new version soon.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:56:34 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
UPDATE TIME!

Now with 100 levels, hooray! 8)

Download (version 9/12/13)
Changelog

New levels:
  • Abridged Version (Flower) - same title but completely different level!
  • Korean Border Crossing (Humane) - based on the old Abridged Version.
  • Pachinkube (Humane) - quick-thinking cuber level, see if you can do it without pausing! :P
  • Abridged Inversion (Arcane) - Like Abridged Version, but with the hatch and exit switched!
  • Switchback Mountain (Insane) - as in the above post, minus the bomber timing.

I'm looking at making more easy levels next. I don't want to scare off the new players too quickly :D

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
Nice you are keeping things up to date Clam. 
I'll be going over all mine in the future again at some point also,  to keep things up to date with any new physics changes.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
Quote from: irc
[04:59:59] <Clam> I will consider ClamLix truly "finished" at 150 levels. 5 ratings of 30 
[05:01:46] <Rubix_> :D 
[05:06:39] <Clam> quite ambitious considering I've had basically no level ideas for months

I've never really had a master plan for this pack. Up to now, I've just built levels whenever inspiration struck, and thrown them in the pack where I thought they fit. Partly this has been out of fear of promising something and not delivering. But then, a lot of us here seem to do that, so I thought I'd give it a crack :D. Will this pack be done before ISteve11, the community levelpack, or Lix itself? Stay tuned to find out!

This move is inspired by the singleplayer solve race concept, which I hope to contribute to. It's the perfect excuse to pad my pack with easy levels :P, besides the already glaring need for a difficulty curve to avoid scaring new players.

Here's the plan:

- The pack will be called ClamLix (surprise!) because "Clam's levelset for Lix" is rather long-winded and not at all catchy :)

- 150 levels, in 5 rhyming ratings of 30:
  • Mundane (formerly Flower): one training level for each of the 15 skills, and 15 10-per-skill levels like the existing ones. Equivalent to Fun - Tricky rating. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm lining these up for you all to race on, so take note ;). These won't be released until they are done, beyond the 7 already out :).
  • Humane: Taxing-Mayhem level - or, if you're familiar with my custom levels, about on par with ClamSpam05, which currently comprises nearly half the rating :)
  • Arcane: Mayhem+
  • Insane: Mayhem++, featuring family favourites like FALL AND DIE, Lix Recycling Plant and From the Brink.
  • Flingsane: Separate rating for levels that focus on the fling-bomber skill. Other levels may feature fling-bombers, but only the ones on this set will require you to use the fling mechanic to your advantage.

- Non-Mundane levels will go up as I build them, first on the IRC and then here.

- I'll show progress in my signature text, until such a time as progress becomes embarrassingly slow. (From this point on, I mean.)

tl,dr: I've added 6 levels in the past 20 months. How long do you think it will take me to build 50 more? ???

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:15 AM »
about 8 years?
JK.  Good luck with the project.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 01:05:44 AM »
I received some complaints about a change I made to Called in the Wrong Squad - namely, removing the platformers to leave only cubers for terrain addition (and increasing the remaining skills to compensate). So I've decided to keep both versions as separate levels! The 'new' level is now called Send in the Square Squad. I've also widened the platforms, changed the colours, and used the full height of the screen (which somehow I overlooked before).

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:57:40 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »
Set Fire to the Rain

It's raining Lix! And fire! And... flaming lix?
Rating: Flingsane

(I intend to introduce all new levels in this way)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:58:21 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
It was fun and annoying at the same time.   
A good concept