Author Topic: Upgrade blues  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Upgrade blues
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
Okay... I haven't been around in a really long time so I've been letting Adam run the show.  I'm fine with that.  Schoolwork has hit me so hard this year that I barely touch anything online.

So I just upgraded to the latest version on here, and was met with a painful realization that they stopped updating the classic YaBB (old Lemmings Forums) theme several versions ago and we were still using the older version from something like SMF 2.0 RC1.  Recent updates completely broke the tables on it, unfortunately.

I found this sorta facsimile theme on the SMF themes site but I really don't like how it looks.  The colors are dark and it's difficult to adjust the top logo size and get rid of what will be the unnecessary centered forum title.  Another thing is this has kinda undone a bunch of fixes Adam did, like the clickback logo and the arrow icons for karma...

I am going to see what I can do with it, but I have a feeling we'll need to find a completely new theme.  Sorry guys.  Kinda my fault, I broke it more.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade blues
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »
Upgrade blue?!?!?!? This looks AWSOME

If videos can be viewed here instead of inserting a hyperlink this forum will be complete

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Giga, I think Mr. K was saying that we had a few little issues with the upgrade.

Between us, we've managed to get a half-decent looking style up.. gonna try and work on the logo, making it a hyperlink again, but that's gonna take a little bit of time.

I'm guessing you'd like YouTube embedding?

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:29:43 AM »
I see that there's so issues with the forums
But a few upgrades and it might work out  :thumbsup:

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »
Upgrade blue?!?!?!? This looks AWSOME

Well the upgrade is blue now... it wasn't before by the sound of it though :-\. Glad you got all that sorted out in good time. though I'd prefer green tbh

It looks like links in text are ever-so-slightly more visible now, which is good (not that they could've been any less visible than they were before :P)

Youtube embedding would be great, as long as it's not allowed in sigs. I've seen that in other forums, and it's just horrifying :o

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:15:21 AM »
Looks like underline stopped working, although everything else seems to work fine. ???

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:20:20 AM »
That *might* have been a removal which was done accidentally on purpose because I absolutely detest underlined text.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
Actually, there's still one more issue I noticed. :P

The backdrop can still be too small for those people who have Extra Large screen resolutions (e.g. one of my computer's resolution is 1920 pixels long); so how is it possible that we can extend this backdrop? Should we just stretch the image or make tiles out of the image like you get with some Background desktops? I think the latter would work perfectly if you can get that to work.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
That's an issue we're ware of, minimac - Mr K should be fixing that over the next few days!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:10 AM »
That *might* have been a removal which was done accidentally on purpose because I absolutely detest underlined text.

Doesn't it seem just a little immature to remove a feature just because you don't like it personally? :-\

Anyway, I've spotted another issue. I'm not sure if this is related to the update, but whenever I make a post, we get a sudden influx of "guests" viewing the thread I just posted in. Is this a bug, or is there something suspicious going on? :o

EDIT: Right on cue (see attachment). Notice how most of them appear within a few seconds of each other.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
I'm happy the underlined text is gone. It's so 1990s. This is 2011. Underline on hover's been standard for how many years? :D

The guest issue is weird. It was commented on yesterday.

For the repeating background, all you need is the css property
Code: [Select]
background-repeat: repeat-x for the
body element. To that end, the graphic needs to only be one pixel wide as well in order to avoid sending wasteful amounts of data.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
The problem isn't that underlining is needed (this is just one possible solution), it's that the links do not stand out enough. The link color is a greyish blue on white/blue background -- both not much more outstanding than black text.

I do not care much for the actual solution details, but you might do at least something for it. Several users, myself included, underline the links manually to workaround the visibility issue.

Your global solution may be underlining, a recolorization, or really anything. You should pick a solution that makes links still easily identifyable as links.

-- Simon

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:08 PM »
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Stands out fine to me, though maybe link hover colour should be red like the forum software's links.

a:hover {
    color: #dd0000;
}
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:56 PM »
Yes, the current color does indeed stand out on white background, and always against regular text. I hadn't noticed before that it got changed.

The bg<->link color contrast is now unluckily low on the blue background.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 08:14:51 AM »
Marking all messages as read (via the button at the forum list's bottom) fails for me, yields error "Unable to verify referring url." Does it work for someone else?

-- Simon