Author Topic: The OFFICIAL Lemmings Forums Art Challenge  (Read 28069 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL Lemmings Forums Art Challenge
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:42:21 AM »
Man 10 seconds sure is short.  The first level that comes to mind is "It's Hero Time" but after numerous tries, it is clearly not feasible by me anyways. :XD: I settled on something that's borderline "easy to draw" but still a level that's interesting to me outside the challenge.  Even this one is not as easy to do in 10 seconds as first thought.

Quote from: spoiler
Just a Minute (Part 1).  I took care to include some details to make it clear that the depiction is Part 1 and not Part 2.  Took me a while and a bit of practice to draw those details efficiently to fit the 10 seconds!  This is my current drawing method:

1) left horizontal line
2) the 2 vertical lines below horizontal line from #1 (think "pi"), depicting the vertical pillars below the starting platform of the level.
3) the other horizontal line, from the right-leg of the pi all the way to the right (so in one stroke, I have both the platform for the "holding area" below the entrance that's unique to Part 1, as well as the platform on right end of level where the exit is)
4) the 2 vertical lines below horizontal line from #3 (think "pi" again)
5) draw the rectangle wall in the middle.  Make sure the rectangle extends vertically below the horizontal line from #3.

I was going to post some additional tips on the F.P. tool in MSPaint (particular with respect to using left and right mouse buttons), but it turns out the behaviors are more complex and perhaps inconsistent than I thought, so I decided to not offer tips that may end up confuse rather than help.  Explore on your own if so desired!

(On that note, I'm assuming that making lines with the F.P. tool is not cheating, since line segments are nothing but very thin polygons. ;P)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
Here's my version of a spoiler tag:
It's No added colours or lemmings

Cool idea with the spoiler tag (and much easier to remember!):thumbsup:, but what does the 100 and 3000 mean? ???

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
This is regular: AAAAAAAAAAAA
This is first value 100 AAAAAAAAAAA

I have no idea what the second one is for though.  ???
I just did it whilst experimenting.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 08:43:52 AM »
Well I don't claim to have any artistic talent, but anyway, I'm in.

Quote from: oh come on you know what this level is
Compression Method 1 / Easy if you know how

(The pink is because the level is pink, not because of any personal preference. No one said it has to be black ;))

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

Quote from: Level Name
Wicked 11 -- Rocky Road. First part of the level only.

-- Simon

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
I've added labels to the goal and hatch, just to avoid confusion!
Sega Master System 14 - Menacing

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 04:14:36 AM »
Week is over!

First of all, I managed to recognize the levels from the drawings pretty quickly except for Simon's and Adam's, Adam's because I don't know much about the SMS levels (though looking it up, the sketch represents the level pretty closely.) Simon's was difficult because it's just a part of the level, and while I recognized the lizard, I didn't recognize the tree as such, and one of my guesses was that it might be Nessy's head... Only found it out after flipping through the levels looking for two floating islands.

It was very difficult to decide. Most sketches focus on some obvious characteristics of the respective level to make it recognizable. "Where Lemmings dare" doesn't have such clear-cut and memorable features, but more complicated terrain, yet finlay somehow managed to make the level immediately recognizable to me (despite having to put up with all the hardships of multiple paint programs), therefore I declare him the winner. Congratulations!  :)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »
Yay! To be fair, I'd already covered the paint program hardships in the past, so it was a relatively straightforward case of going onto photoshop and using a workaround. Still, annoying.

Next: Not a lemmings related one I'm afraid. Use paint or similar, and take your favourite album and try and draw it. Since the name of the artist and album is usually on the front, you should replace this with text such as "band name" or "album name". I will give you an example that I made a couple of years ago when I saw this challenge on facebook (or wherever it was), but I will also try and make a new one for you to guess as well, cos otherwise it's no fun.

If you can, try not to be too obscure, but everyone has different music tastes so it's inevitable that we'll get ones that we can't all recognise. Also, I'm not setting a time limit but I don't want you spending too long on it. Also, feel free to make more than one, especially if you really think we won't get your first one. ;P

Answer:
Quote from: Spoiler
it's "( )", by Sigur Rós.     

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
Nobody?

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 11:44:34 AM »
I'm working on mine! :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 02:16:36 PM »
It's hard for me because of my musical taste. I will think of something eventually.

-- Simon

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
You know them
"1" by The Beatles 

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
Well most of my favourites are very obscure so here's my least obscure favourite.  ;P

Radio-activity by Kraftwerk   

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
This one's almost from the mainstream, but still, I'd be surprised if anyone can guess it.
Paper Walls by Yellowcard
(edit: the forum upgrade broke the spoiler quotes somehow ???)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
I'm with Simon on this one, it's a very hard challenge. I have an uncommon taste for music, and what I listen to rarely gets released as albums, and even less frequently in physical form with a cover.
There's like one album cover I'd recognize because it's famous (Abbey Road), but it's too sophisticated for me to draw (even though I could try to replace the Beatles with Lemmings), so I'm going with an album that I don't know myself but that RubiX suggested in IRC:

White Album by the Beatles