Author Topic: The Level Design Game: 2nd Edition!  (Read 33633 times)

Offline klapaucius

• View Profile
Re: The Level Design Game: 2nd Edition!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 05:37:19 AM »

Here's my level. Maybe this level looks shoddy a little....
This level has three types of skills. one builder, one climber, one digger. Save 4/7 (57%).
I live in Asia, so I am not good at write in English.
I'll be very appreciated if you understand my poor English sentences :)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
Heres mine:
The first has 4/5.
The second has 48/50.

EDIT: I updated my levels.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
The first one has to be 8/10, not 4/5. If you change it to 8/10, the bottom route works for both groups (in fact, I'm pretty sure with the RR as it is you can save 9/10 or 49/50 by building over the trap.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:55 AM »

Here's my level. Maybe this level looks shoddy a little....
This level has three types of skills. one builder, one climber, one digger. Save 4/7 (57%).

Wait... Is this an attempt at my challenge, or Steve's? It seems to be halfway between the two. ???

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »
Hey is it okay if i could make a Giga Edition of this topic

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 03:41:21 AM »
Here's my attempt at Insane Steve's challenge. I've attached both replays along with the level, although neither is greatly difficult to execute. Just change the lemming count to 50 before viewing the second replay.

Offline klapaucius

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 06:02:05 AM »
Wait... Is this an attempt at my challenge, or Steve's? It seems to be halfway between the two. ???

This is about your challenge. The requirement of this level's just save 4/7, not save 8/10 :)
I live in Asia, so I am not good at write in English.
I'll be very appreciated if you understand my poor English sentences :)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
Oh, ok... :)

For my challenge, you need to have one type of skill, and only one of that skill. It was Steve's challenge that requires you to have three types of skills.

I should add a note to my challenge to say it's been solved, and encourage other challenge setters to do the same. Of course, you're more than welcome to post attempts at solved challenges ;)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
Here's my attempt at Insane Steve's challenge. I've attached both replays along with the level, although neither is greatly difficult to execute. Just change the lemming count to 50 before viewing the second replay.

Can't see a way to execute the 8/10 solution on the right, nor the 48/50 solution on the left in time, and I can't see any way to lose <2 in either case. This looks solved, nice level  :thumbsup:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
Cool :D. Don't forget to post your own version ;)

OK, next challenge:

• At least 10 lemmings, with at least 5 to be saved
  • One terrain object only (not just one type, but one terrain piece)
  • One entrance and one exit (exit top piece optional), no other interactive objects
  • No steel areas
  • No builders available
  • The level must be impossible to complete in under one minute (without pausing for time, since Lemmix doesn't support it)

EDIT: solved by ccexplore.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »
Cool :D. Don't forget to post your own version ;)

OK, next challenge:

• At least 10 lemmings, with at least 5 to be saved
  • One terrain object only (not just one type, but one terrain piece)
  • One entrance and one exit (exit top piece optional), no other interactive objects
  • No steel areas
  • No builders available
  • The level must be impossible to complete in under one minute (without pausing for time, since Lemmix doesn't support it)
heh, funny thing about that, my "48/50" version has a backroute that allows the 8/10 version to work also. Damn. I'll try to post a working level soon.

For your challenge, here's a really preliminary drunk attempt. Do not be surprised if it fails.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »
Right... :-\ well, apart from the entrance off the top of the screen (which would invalidate it at any rate), I managed to solve it in under a minute :D (attached)

(edit: remove the entrance at y=65533 before viewing)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
Clam, I think IS might have updated his level after you have downloaded it?  The entrance is within bounds and your replay doesn't work.

That said, his latest version didn't improve on matters, in fact I'm not sure it's solvable at all--falling/floating lemmings cannot trigger exits in PC-based Lemmings game mechanics, and his exit is sitting in mid-air with no terrain in the trigger area.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
Oh, whoops... I removed the out-of-bounds entrance before recording that replay. Check the level list (F9), there's an entrance with a Y position of 65533 (i.e. -3). As for your other point, try the replay again minus the rogue entrance ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:23 AM »
Ah, so as I suspected (but too lazy to re-check the disassembly), oh-noers are not affected by the behavior I referred to.  That's incidentally exactly why I said "I'm not sure" instead of flat out saying it's impossible. ;)

Good job for working out a solution though. :o Maybe the low save percentage made it possible to get something working without too much trial and error?

Anyway, turns out Steve has a good idea I think in terms of terrain, just the wrong approach as far as skills are concerned.  Here's my level, inspired by his, that should satisfy your challenge.  In fact I almost think I might've "backrouted" your challenge by doing what I did......

Oh, and busy-ness and other considerations say I'll call open floor yet again if my level works. :-\