Author Topic: Cheapo Level Pak topic  (Read 170973 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level Pak topic
« Reply #435 on: April 29, 2005, 01:54:40 PM »
Um.... not long at all, though I couldn't give an exact figure. Once you've identified the various problems on the level that seemed pretty much the most straightforward way of getting around them.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 29, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »
Oh, Okay :)

Conway

« Reply #437 on: April 30, 2005, 01:57:28 AM »
I must catch up on all the latest levelpacks!  :D

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 30, 2005, 12:28:56 PM »
Progress report on the backroute remakes set.

Levels 1 Taxing (If at first you don't succeed), 3 Mayhem (It's hero time) and 19 Present (Acrophobia) are done. I've remade 10 Taxing (Izzy Wizzy Lemmings get busy) but I'm having problems thinking of how to eliminate the backroute in one version -- forcing it in the other is easy.

So, if anyone still wants to help, choose any one of the other levels, don't do these ones again!  :D

Conway

« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2005, 01:32:09 AM »
ISU, I've just passed your Fellow Heroes. Solution PMing . . .

Insane Steve, I've jst passed all of your 'Difficult' set except for 'Stairway to Somewhere'. I'll have to think about that one some more.

Persistence Builds Character - A reasonably clever level, but why 5 minutes?

Flooded basement - AAARRRRGH!!! =8O All the mindless building!

Beat the Clock - How much spare time is there supposed to be? I made it with 8 seconds remaining!

Dream Ledges - I really enjoyed this one. The terrain is kind of minimalist, but it's still a genuine challenge. Also, it feels somewhat reminiscent of my 'Centre of Attention', which was also inspired by a dream!

The Obstacle - The hint says that all skills are used except the blocker and bomber. It's also possible to do without the floater too.

4 Pillars and a Trap - Probably my favourite from the set! I solved it pretty quickly, but I like that it gives and uses one of every skill, and the target to save is the most that's possible. The time limit could do with tightening up, but now I'm just nitpicking.

Phone Call from Europe - Enjoyable to look at and to solve, and it even has a reasonable time limit! It seems a little easy to be the last in the set, Stairway to Somewhere should have been last. Also, what's up with the intro to this level? It's totally crazy!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 01, 2005, 07:25:30 AM »
 I didn't look at Phone Call from Europe before, because I've seen it before. My solution then was a backroute and I understood Steve had fixed it. However, I went back to look just now, and I've found a new backroute.

First two climb. Third blocks before the teleport, as close to it as you can manage. First climber mines into blue wall. Right-click to mark second climber. Have him bash through OWW. First climber builds over gap. Time second climber to bomb structure on the lowest level.

As for the intro, it's just explaining how he chose the title....... however, Steve, I'd replace the double apostrophes with quote marks if I were you. It saves two characters, so you would be able to get the full stop on the same line as the rest where it belongs. Just an aesthetic point....... (pardon the pun!)

Conway

« Reply #441 on: May 01, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »
Yeah, that's what I did too.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 01, 2005, 10:11:36 AM »
Further progress report on the backroute remakes set:

Add 13 Mayhem (The Great Lemming Caper) to the list of finished levels. I just can't decide whether to make the time limit on the backroute-forcing version 1:10 or 1:15 (for aesthetic reasons, I mean; either would work to force the backroute).

« Reply #443 on: May 01, 2005, 11:41:24 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1089162351/435#438 date=1114864136
I've remade 10 Taxing (Izzy Wizzy Lemmings get busy) but I'm having problems thinking of how to eliminate the backroute in one version --

That seems surprising.  Doesn't the backroute involve a bit of a fall?

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 01, 2005, 12:54:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on my level.
I've now removed the backroute by removing all uneccesary skills. Same link or here

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 02, 2005, 03:36:12 PM »
Further progress report on the backroute remakes set:

All three ONML levels -- 1 Crazy (Quote: "That's a good level" ), 2 Crazy (Dolly Dimple) and 2 Wicked (Introducing Superlemming) are in the bag. I really wish there were Cheapo styles with the ONML musics though....... they're great!

- - -

Sorry, ISU, I think there's another backroute to contend with. First left lemming mines to exit. First middle lemming digs before trap, bashes halfway down the wall, builds to catch right lemmings. Do this as quickly as possible and you'll only lose three.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 02, 2005, 08:49:10 PM »
Ok, I plan to re-release my sets with the back-routes removed, some level orders swapped, and a couple new levels. Should be out later today.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 03, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »
Cool, I look forward to that. Hope it will include some more Difficult levels, as I'm not getting anywhere with the last two sets!

- - -

One more backroute remake done: Genesis version 27 Present, Try anything once. I'm being cruel to the player. The backroute-forcing version allows ZERO builders. Steaver would approve.........

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 03, 2005, 11:10:44 AM »
Okay, there seems to be an enormous amount of backroutes to my level (Just as I thought) so I'm going to PM you and Conway the intended solution, which is only really a variation on all the backroutes you've found.

The most updated version of this level can be found here. Conway's second backroute has been prevented but Ahribar's second one hasn't.

---

So for the backroute remakes; let me see...

Original
1 Taxing (If at first you don't succeed) -- done by ISU
*10 Taxing (Izzy Wizzy Lemmings Get Busy) -- done by me
22 Taxing (Come on over to my place)
3 Mayhem (It's hero time) -- done by Adam
13 Mayhem (The Great Lemming Caper) -- done by me
17 Mayhem (Stepping Stones)
ONML
1 Crazy (Quote: that's a good level) -- done by me
2 Crazy (Dolly Dimple) -- done by me
2 Wicked (Introducing Superlemming) -- done by me
Genesis
*17 Present (Electric circuit)
19 Present (Acrophobia) -- done by Adam
*24 Present (Everyone's a hard nut)
27 Present (Try anything once)
11 Sunsoft (Turn around and look)
*19 Sunsoft (Let's go camping)

I'll try "Come on over to my place" and maybe "Stepping stones". We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 03, 2005, 11:13:51 AM »
Actually I've just done "Stepping Stones"  :P

Remember that you don't have to go to the bother of working out the separate versions if you don't want, I can do that if you just send a remake of the original level. Thanks again for helping!  B)